Hamer Fan Club Message Center

This is supposed to help hurricane victims?

But IMO, whether you like the given "Gibshit" or not, the company is doing something to help those affected. 

Look, I don't care too much what Henry's doing at Gibson these days either; on the other hand, I haven't heard of any other guitar companies -- including Hamer -- stepping up to the plate.  Bag on Gibson's business practices, bag on their inconsitent quality control (I know I do), but I won't go after their "intentions" in this case.  So I disagree with you Chris.

I still like the axe. I don't "expect" a small guitar company to donate but it's a little asinine to go after Gibson for doing so.  Last time I looked, Hamer's selling some overprice axes these days too.

+1 to the 10th power, thanks Jaye.

And I like the guitar too. And I'm not gay. Really. ;)

Edited to add: I just read the press release, and for the life of me I can't understand why anybody would have a problem with what Gibson (or any of the other Music Rising companies) are doing with this...you're all musicians, right?

I guess its because it's Gibson, and this board just loves to rag on Gibson...arghhh.

The Loot Paul idea made me laugh...maybe one with an image of that guy carting off the 52" TV saying "it's ok to loot cuz the police ain't here". Ok, bad joke. Sorry.

They should have had a picture of a guy looting the Katrina guitar out of a NO music shop, and on the guitar, a picture of a guy looting the Katrina guitar out of a NO music shop, and on that guitar, a picture of a guy looting the Katrina guitar out of a NO music shop, and...

It would be just like one of our disappearing vortex of quotes threads. Go on, you know you want to quote me... ;)

Gibson can't possibly expect to sell those in quantity. That guitar is a press release, nothing more.

Do you know why New Orleans has funerals featuring jazz bands and second line parades?

Because the culture down here doesn't mourn the dead, it celebrates the life.

Gibson could have made a minty guitar with vivid Mardi Gras colors that celebrated the spirit of the city and its culture.

Instead, they chose to produce a commemorative guitar that looks like it too sat under water for a week.

I appreciate the cause, but I find the guitar itself in very poor taste and actually quite repulsive.

I guess its because it's Gibson, and this board just loves to rag on Gibson...arghhh.

Nah, I don't think that's it at all.

Surely you jest. Of course it's because it's a Gibson. If it was a Hamer everyone would be talking about how absolutely COOL it is and what great corporate citizens they are.

Nah, I don't think that's it at all.

Surely you jest. Of course it's because it's a Gibson. If it was a Hamer everyone would be talking about how absolutely COOL it is and what great corporate citizens they are.

I do not jest, and stop calling me Shirley. ;)

Look at the flak Hamer's taken on this board for charging Gibson-esque prices for the Special K and Ecstasy.

It's just bad form IMO, not unlike if someone shortly after 9/11 marketed a doubleneck guitar fashioned after the Twin Towers. Of course you can't criticize something like this if attached to it is a "claim" that a portion of the proceeds go to those adversely affected by the tragedy.

FWIW, I also dislike Dean's Dimebag guitars for the same reason.

Many contribute large amounts to charities WITHOUT going for the press value.

While a applaud them for doing something FOR the people who have been victims of this terrible tragedy, I feel that Gibson making that guitar whacked in appearance is without taste. As Jeffro said, death is celebrated in NO as a stepping stone, and honoring the dead has significant value. That guitar does not honor the dead, in my opinion.

Not only is the guitar FUGLY, it's a disgrace to try and honor, help, or whatever there true goal is, with such a horrible looking piece. IMHO, the guitar should honor what the city and region was, is in culture, and will be again, and not a crappy rendition of the grisly reality that it is right now.

Ah, what makes this country is so great is that none of us are forced to the buy the guitar or support Gibson.

And Shirley, Hamer absolutely deserves flak for the Special K and Ecstacy insane prices and looks....truly hideous.

And Shirley, Hamer absolutely deserves flak for the Special K and Ecstacy insane prices and looks....truly hideous.

+1...they are totally GAY. ;)

OK OK...I quit. lol

No, those are Hamers are NOT gay...no way no how. Did you get my email a couple of days ago Poe? I know you're email challenged and all. ;)

Ah, what makes this country is so great is that none of us are forced to the buy the guitar or support Gibson.

What makes this board so great is that you're absolutely welcome to voice such an opinion here.

If I were to express displeasure with this particular Gibson guitar on the Les Paul Forum, my monkey ass would be banned within 15 minutes.

What makes this board so great is that you're absolutely welcome to voice such an opinion here.

If I were to express displeasure with this particular Gibson guitar on the Les Paul Forum, my monkey ass would be banned within 15 minutes.

The Les Paul Forum is a freekin joke. I was banned there long ago when I questioned the validity of their non=profit status when Lily started selling $65 LPF tool kits. The LP version of the FDP!!!

Surely you jest.  Of course it's because it's a Gibson.  If it was a Hamer everyone would be talking about how absolutely COOL it is and what great corporate citizens they are.

This statement inspired a few minutes of reflection and introspection on my part. I've concluded that

a. If Gibson had made that guitar look more presentable, or even cool looking, I would have thought "Kinda expensive, but it sure looks cool" and would never have started this thread.

b. If THAT guitar were a Hamer, I'd have been blinking my eyes in bewilderment and disbelief, and would have started a thread asking what were they thinking?

c. If Hamer comes out with a new model that they donate part of the sale price of to hurricane relief efforts, I fully believe it will look absolutely stunning.

Surely you jest.  Of course it's because it's a Gibson.  If it was a Hamer everyone would be talking about how absolutely COOL it is and what great corporate citizens they are.

This statement inspired a few minutes of reflection and introspection on my part. I've concluded that

a. If Gibson had made that guitar look more presentable, or even cool looking, I would have thought "Kinda expensive, but it sure looks cool" and would never have started this thread.

b. If THAT guitar were a Hamer, I'd have been blinking my eyes in bewilderment and disbelief, and would have started a thread asking what were they thinking?

c. If Hamer comes out with a new model that they donate part of the sale price of to hurricane relief efforts, I fully believe it will look absolutely stunning.

A. What's cool to you isn't cool to me and vice versa obviously. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

B. Fair enough.

C. You sure about that? (Refer to aforementioned Special K). It's a moot point anyway, because they won't.

Well, here is the point as I (a Yankee) see it.

1st: The guitar is either ugly or cool. That much is one's opinion. What is FACT, however, is that it is a waste of a pretty ass piece of flamed maple. Can you imagine that with an expertly applied sunburst?

2nd: I don't know how many of these they plan to sell or how much dough they think they'll raise for them, but I question how much of that money (as The Muse has already put it) will actually get to the very people that it is supposedly being raised for. JeffR suggested that if Gibson really wanted to put instruments in the hands of musicians who lost their gear (and livelihood) thanks to Katrina, they should load up a semi with Les Paul Studios, park it on the corner (pronounced kah-nah) of Decatur and Canal Street and distribute them. No one could find fault with that, and I think they'd allow the Edge to help them hand them out.

3rd: NO ONE in New Orleans plays a Les Paul. It's all Strats. Strats, Strats, and more Strats. Sometimes a Telecaster, but their usually from out of town (probably about 45 minutes south).

What none of you realise, is that the Les Paul is only the first of the line. The next one is a Super 400 CES, with a top that looks like shingles. Instead of f holes, it has many erratically shaped holes covered with small pieces of blue tarp. When you pull back the tarp, there will be playmoblie branded action figues inside as a joint venture in relief aid. The real shame of this is that the action figures will be holding little green bottles and are called Heine-kids, to commemorate the now world famous looter.

earlier this week, a good friend of mine drove in from Houston. We both went to a local luthier (Tim Lawson) who specializes in restoration and repairs. He does excellent work and helps out many of musicians in the New Orleans / Baton Rouge areas. Our visit was to pick up a restored 53 Gibson Archtop that had been in my friend's family. The restoration was beyond my friend's expectation.. Carefully restored, not refinished. I sat and played it for quite a bit and lusted for it myself. but that guitar is another story.

we hung out in the shop for a bit and we learned that they were back logged like crazy with repairs for Katrina damaged guitars, all prized by their owners. Mostly flood damaged, they are carefully monitoring the moisture content in these guitars during a cautious drying process.

Tims is an authorized repair shop for several reputable guitar makers. But with the recent practices from Gibson, not carrying a $$$$$ inventory has also meant that they now also cannot obtain Gibson parts (outside of the shrinkwrapped general parts stuff). That's been another recent fallout of Gibson's practices. I'm sure they will locate the necessary parts for their repairs and restorations, but that just chaps my ass. ;)

As someone still with a busted ass house from Katrina, that Toxi Burst whatever rubs me the wrong way. Me no likey.

Guest Mike Lee

My company was quick to donate our products to help with Katrina relief efforts. I found out from the press release that was emailed to all company employees.

Of course, donating trucks and school buses to carry relief supplies and people is a lot more appropriate than commemorative guitars...

Of course, donating trucks and school buses to carry relief supplies and people is a lot more appropriate than commemorative guitars...

Mike,

Y'all could do a commemorative car run. All ya gotta do is take a new car, bust the windows out, get inside, kick the dash to hell and back, then crap the seats. Voila, instant NOLA Katrina car.

Archived