Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I need a better clip-on tuner (w/ Hamer content)

Feynman

I have now broken three Snarks at the little ball joint. I'm not rough on my gear, but I must be finding just the right angle to snap them.

I'm having trouble rationalizing the Peterson, but I'll listen to your reviews if you have one.

This ugly Boss would seem to eliminate the weak spot, and it looks like it opens wide enough for a classical.

Any advice?

Bonus Hamer content here - you wouldn't think a tuner review video could be entertaining, but it is:

Oh yeah, I had one of those. It actually left in a guitar sale because I forgot it was on there. The buyer thanked me for including it.

The ratchet part seemed a little flimsy, but I don't think I would have broken it.

Mine tuned/locked-on a little too slowly, but maybe it was just an old battery.

Also bear in mind that I can be an idiot. I thought my display was screwed up out of the box, but eventually I figured out there was a sample display sticker over the actual display.

Thanks.

There's a newer planet waves one in the NS series.

Same series as the ratchet clip one, but with a spring clip and extension for positioning.

It's as accurate, but easier to swap from guitar, to banjo, to mandolin, to lapsteel....

Definitely fit a classical headstock. I definitely recommend it.

...On another note, do you guys find headstock tuners to read the note better at the 12th fret harmonic?

There's a newer planet waves one in the NS series.

Same series as the ratchet clip one, but with a spring clip and extension for positioning.

It's as accurate, but easier to swap from guitar, to banjo, to mandolin, to lapsteel....

Definitely fit a classical headstock. I definitely recommend it.

...On another note, do you guys find headstock tuners to read the note better at the 12th fret harmonic?

yes especially on a strats low strings , it also seems like they "work " quite awhile with a low battery , but work much better with a new battery , so I dont wait for them start acting weird

I don't find the Snarks to be accurate enough for my OCD. That Boss one is intriguing though..

I've never actually tried a strobe. Why are they so expensive?

The Peterson is an excellent tuner. I usually use it for doing setups/intonation and when playing capoed acoustic. It is very accurate and, if you find the right spot on the headstock, very stable. Additionally, it has many of the features/parameters of Peterson's stomp/rack units.

It is stupidly expensive, and its durable construction makes it heavier than most of the competition. Probably not a clip on you would keep your guitar all gig long, due to its weight.

Seeing guitars with clip-on tunes destroying the perfect lines of said guitars drives me nuts. I see the practicality of it, as it eliminates the tuner on the floor. The P Waves one though, might be worth a look at it is hidden. I could work with that or the Peterson as long as the Peterson was clip on, tune, remove.....

I've always used the Korg clip-ons. Was so impressed by the first one or two I bought, I went back and bought enough for each guitar/bass case my son and I have so we're never lacking one when we need it. Threw a spare battery in there as well as they're just wafer-sized...

Thanks all. I bought the Boss, and the Reverb cheapo.

My wife's ukulele gets the Reverb one, which looks like it will hold up better than the Snark, for $3.99 shipped. Not bad at all. It is locked at A=440, but otherwise seems like a fine tuner. Buy one.

The Boss seems nice and sturdy, locks fast, works well. I like it. I don't leave the tuners on the guitar anyway (too ugly), so this one is perfect for me.

I liked my Snark, until it broke. I found that to be very irritating for some reason.

I got a Peterson. It's extremely accurate, but if you're OCD this isn't necessarily good. There's good enough, and there's dead nuts accurate, and your bandmates will kill you as you patiently zero in on that absolutely perfect tuning for 15 minutes :P

Joking aside, the best thing I like is the "sweetened" tunings, particularly the one for 12 string octaves. It really brings the jangle to life.

Archived