Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Bummed. Missed a 1969 plexi.

Disturber

Missed it by a minute. A pristine 1969 50W Marshall plexi. Seller wanted 1000 dollars. This will haunt me for a long time.

My '69 plexi:

That is a cool one. I want something from 1969 as it was the year I was born. I'll always regret that I didn't buy a next to mint LP Gold Top for 2000$ ten years ago. A cool amp could still be in my reach. I'll keep on looking.

Look on the bright side. Now you will avoid having to replace 45 year old parts that can go bad at anytime. People will not bother you about borrowing your amp for a studio session. You will not have to answer endless questions about what work has been done to the amp over its 45 year existence.

I am bummed FOR you..... We all would LOVE to pick up an original 69 Plexi at that price.

In the meantime, Jim Nickelson at LIl Dawg Amps will build you a spot on clone for that price, or maybe lower.

Serial, that plexi of yours screams Keith, Joe Perry, and Rick Richards. Get Yer YaYas out with that bad boy!

I am bummed FOR you..... We all would LOVE to pick up an original 69 Plexi at that price.

In the meantime, Jim Nickelson at LIl Dawg Amps will build you a spot on clone for that price, or maybe lower.

Serial, that plexi of yours screams Keith, Joe Perry, and Rick Richards. Get Yer YaYas out with that bad boy!

Yeah, clones can sound good. But they most often don't have the real deal output transformers, mustard caps etc. Then I'd just rather buy a mid 70's JMP 1987. Those are mighty fine amps too.

I have a 1973 Marshall 2040 Artiste combo. It's PTP and all the parts were in it to rebuild it to a JTM50. So I had my amp tech do that seven years ago. It's a monster amp. Uses the same transformers as other 50 W Marshalls of that time, and all the other mumbo jumbo components, such as mustard caps etc. He just moved the parts around.

It is now a Bassman 6G6-B Bassman on channel 1 and a JTM50 on channel 2. It's a pretty versatile amp. And its got the original G12H-30 speakers.

01-Marshall-Artiste-and-Ham.jpg

That Artiste combo looks awesome and what a great idea to marry the blonde Bassman to the Marshall circuit. Best of both worlds.

I love my 6g6-b.

...I have a 1973 Marshall 2040 Artiste combo. It's PTP and all the parts were in it to rebuild it to a JTM50. So I had my amp tech do that seven years ago. It's a monster amp. Uses the same transformers as other 50 W Marshalls of that time, and all the other mumbo jumbo components, such as mustard caps etc. He just moved the parts around.

It is now a Bassman 6G6-B Bassman on channel 1 and a JTM50 on channel 2. It's a pretty versatile amp. And its got the original G12H-30 speakers.

That's a nice foolish idea to flip the parts around to receive a combo like that as the result.

OUCH!! Do feel your pain there...

'69 Plexi for a grand - what was the catch? Fire sale? Someone didn't know what they had? Beater?....

He also sold an old Power Soak, so my guess is he didn't have a clue what the going price is for old Marshalls. Probably hadn't played it much in the last 20 years. Didn't Google, just put out the ad. Probably as he needed to clear some space.

Archived