Hamer Fan Club Message Center

11s hell yeah

Been farting around w 9 s for the last year, doing a jazz gig w female singer and upright bass so I threw some 11s on the ole CE22. Man that's the shit, so much better in every way, easy to bend after all the bass playing and 12 string stuff I've been doing

I am not equiped with ears that tell me that thicker gauge strings sound better. I prefer 009's on strats and 009's or 010's on teles and the Newport, depends.

On HB guitars I tend to go with 010's. But especially on strats I tend to think that thick strings mostly gets ice picky.

I'm man enough to admit that I'm not man enough to go there. Not at standard pitch, anyway.

This/\ I leave that shit to my co-guitarist. He digs the beef and bombast of 10's and 11's and I like my 9's for the slinky, spongy action. Makes for a killer combo, IMO. I cover the searing highs and chewy mids, he gets the growl of the lows and girth of mids that I don't hit. Fits our soloing styles as well.

I'm man enough to admit that I'm not man enough to go there. Not at standard pitch, anyway.

This/\ I leave that shit to my co-guitarist. He digs the beef and bombast of 10's and 11's and I like my 9's for the slinky, spongy action. Makes for a killer combo, IMO. I cover the searing highs and chewy mids, he gets the growl of the lows and girth of mids that I don't hit. Fits our soloing styles as well.

Good summary. Applies to me, as well.

I'm in the process of having a local builder put together a Tele style guitar for me, and I'm really considering putting 11s on it. I mentioned in another thread that I have 13s on a Hagstrom Viking, and that guitar plays well for what I do (in don't really do many Gilmour-esque bends). If the 13s on the Viking are doable, then the 11s might be right where I need to be. I don't care for the feel of 9s, 10s aren't bad. We'll see!

Been farting around w 9 s for the last year, doing a jazz gig w female singer and upright bass so I threw some 11s on the ole CE22. Man that's the shit, so much better in every way, easy to bend after all the bass playing and 12 string stuff I've been doing

You really need to check out 11s on thinlines and semihollows. The extra downforce creates a better transfer between the bridge and the top, which then energizes the tone chambers or hollow body. My Newport really lit up when I tried Elixir 11-49s, and with that substantial neck, the action was still very easy.

My guidelines:

11's for 24.75/Les Paul scale.

10's for 25.5/Strat scale.

My PRS McCarty gets 10's.

If you can play a 3-4 set gig and bend accurately all night then the larger dia / higher tension , the better . Although I really don't hear a lot of difference between a 10 and an 11 , if using a higher gauge makes my playing suffer , then the tonal benefit would not be worth it for me

Well I had 13s on an old jazz guitar once. It appeared to be a nice muscle training job.

This gets .011s when it arrives tomorrow...24.5" scale is the reason.

SantanaI_zpsea65b483.jpg

I have something similar, (PRS Golden Eagle) with the 24.5" scale and I put 9's on it. I put 10's on everything else (a mix of Hamer, Gibson and PRS).

PRS_0083.jpg

Guess I could try 11's on one of my others, see how they feel.

Nice Santana by the way. :D

Same here. Lots of bass playing the past several years, and now guitars with .009's feel like ukeleles and wet spaghetti! Prefer .011's lately big time!

There are 10s on any guitar, but 9s on the Red Special type. That's where I settled to.

ETA: I'm wrong as there are 9s on the Tally too.

Archived