Hamer Fan Club Message Center

More on V-picks, this time unbuffed!

zorrow

Got four 1980 V-picks last week, with unbuffed edges. I think these are finally the ones for me.

I've been using them for one week and they give me the perfect combination of attack, "whoosh" and slippery factor.

I had used Dunlop Big Stubby 3mm in the past, which I like but wear too easily and don't have what I call the Brian May "whoosh" in their attack.

I also copied the Mojo picks, which I cut from coins and file to my own tastes. My personal version is in between the Mojo pointy and the blunt ones. I do like them, but again they wear relatively fast and produce not enough whoosh. I addition, I have to make them myself and coins that are good enough for this aren't very easy to find.

That's how I began trying some V-picks. I liked the Screammer model so far. They are shred-friendly, don't wear and are very articulate. However, they lack of the attack I get with my metal ones.

That's how I decided to try one with unbuffed edges, and I loved it. I think then I'll stick to the 1980 model for a while. :)

A pic of them, from the V-picks site:

19080.jpg

Vinny is here in nashville, and a friend of mine.

He always brings pics over for me, clients, etc. to try out.

Great guy.

He has been trying for years to wean me off the Big blue Stubby 3mm.

Just cant do it with my digits the way they are ( I need that dish out to hold onto.)

And my fav brass picks just eat strings too much to use.

Congrats!

You might also give the Infinity V-pick a try. Lots of versatility. I am toying with the idea of that concept, made a bit smaller, sorta like the Dimension maybe. One of these days I gotta get around to calling the V-man about a custom order......

Total V Pick convert here! The V-Pick Lite Small is perfect for my needs and a welcome change from the Jazz III's that almost everyone was using for while.

murkat's selection of V-Picks in his shop got my attention. A couple of picks were order from eBay. There was finally an order made directly with the company for a sampler set, and in the last week I almost placed another order. The next order needs to zero in on what is not already in my assortment, and the unbuffed picks have me wondering. Thanks for the review.

Vinnie was just on Amps&Axes Podcast this week. Just listened to it today and would like to try the Ultra Light or Lights. I am currently using a very rough picks that I like very much. So I wish V Picks Light and Ultras came with the Ghost Rim.

And my fav brass picks just eat strings too much to use.

I dig metal picks, but they just shred my wound strings. While strings are easy to replace, I'm too lazy to have to change them that often.

I'm going to have to reload on V-picks soon. Not that they wore out (these things last forever) but they are INVISIBLE and are hard to find :P

+1 Spent close to an hour, to date, looking for dropped V-Picks. The good news is I rarely drop 'em.

MY suggestion (assuming that they do not get the glow in the dark material back in stock)........Get some of the "metallic" stars or other stickers from an office supply story and stick one on one or both sides of the clear picks....They will be easier to see and reflect light if you shine a flashlight at the floor.

MY suggestion (assuming that they do not get the glow in the dark material back in stock)........Get some of the "metallic" stars or other stickers from an office supply story and stick one on one or both sides of the clear picks....They will be easier to see and reflect light if you shine a flashlight at the floor.

Great idea. I've been drawing a mark on them with metallic permanent marker. It wears off after while but it's helps to find 'em up until that point.

What? Are these special picks? I just use Dunlop nylon .73s and .88s! Or cat tongue, same thicknesses.

there's something magical about these picks. I'm very, very picky about pick material and flex characteristics. but somehow, these V-picks manage to strum chords fluidly without flexing at all, yet they're stiff enough for good solo work.

if I could manage to never lose them, a dozen would last a decade easily.

This has got my attention. I have used Jim Dunlop 1mm blue picks for 20 years, often slightly filed, and love trying new picks out - to date with no change.

These seem to be universally praised so I'd be a fool not to give them a shot.

Thank you for posting!

wow these seem pretty pricey , I'm used to buying a gross of 351 heavys for about $30. I go through about 4-5 a night , toss them when the edge gets a little worn, never ( almost never ) drop a pick. whats a gross of these things cost $500. I think Im afraid to try them , I might like them

I just ordered some. I'm always on the lookout for that perfect pick (actually, the stainless steel Fender picks are perfect for what I like, but as I already noted, I'm tired of destroying strings so quickly)

OK, so who got rid of all their picks except for V-Picks? You know, who has gone through all the gear bags, shelves, guitar cases, and everywhere else picks are kept or found? Toss them all away, and then swear by V-Picks.

A friend did that with his tube amps once he found the Axe FX II. About six months later he was selling the Axe FX and getting tube amps again.

OK, so who got rid of all their picks except for V-Picks? You know, who has gone through all the gear bags, shelves, guitar cases, and everywhere else picks are kept or found? Toss them all away, and then swear by V-Picks.

A friend did that with his tube amps once he found the Axe FX II. About six months later he was selling the Axe FX and getting tube amps again.

^That's why I won't do that with the picks. :P

You can still find tons of picks everywhere at my home, and that's cool because I always have a pick I reasonably like at hand when I grab a guitar to play, no matter where in my house I am. :)

Well, variety is the spice of life and all of that. I don't think most would be happy settling on using only one pick forever. I'm sure there are a few people out there who can do that, but I think most people prefer to try different things every now and then.

The difference in tone between thicknesses of same sized V-Picks has been more noticeable.

For acoustics my preference has always been larger sized picks. The bigger, not necessarily super thick, V-Picks have been a joy on my one acoustic guitar that is in playing shape.

The difference in tone between thicknesses of same sized V-Picks has been more noticeable.

For acoustics my preference has always been larger sized picks. The bigger, not necessarily super thick, V-Picks have been a joy on my one acoustic guitar that is in playing shape.

I find the 1980 perfect for both electric and acoustic. Yesterday night I actually played my acoustic with it and it was just great. Yep, I think I found the good ones for me -but no, I won't get rid of all the others, just in case. ;)

Archived