Hamer Fan Club Message Center

More on V-picks, this time unbuffed!

zorrow

Ok I may try some , but I'm havin a hard time with $4 ea picks. One of the best guitarists I've personally known always used a modified bread wrapper clip. Ill have to guard em like gold , no leavin em out around the studio for people to help themselves as they tend to do .

I have been using these for so long I can't remember when I first got 'em. I have tried lots of different ones and keep coming back to the small pointed ones.

I drill holes in them for a little better grip.

And I wear them out. Takes a while but they eventually start wearing. I have gone through probably 15 of them. Each guitar I have has a couple in the case.

Didn't know they had unbuffed. I will have to give one a try next time I order.

Well, some people do walk off with picks. You just have to know who is coming into your studio. murkat had them on his work bench for people to try out. That was my introduction to V-Picks. Each pick was respectfully returned, then my own were purchased.

pretty much know everyone who comes to my place , and really dont care if they take a couple of picks I do it as a courtesy . I wouldn't feel as free to extend that same courtesy at $4 /pick . more to the point of what I meant, just jokin around :)

BlueChip picks came to my attention for non-musical professional reasons (I'm a patent lawyer, and the patent application process for these picks caught my eye). They are made of a VERY expensive material used in electronics and medical devices that has some very interesting properties. It is self lubricating, so extremely low wear characteristics, and is super smooth yet is very grippy on the fingers. Musically, it produces very little click on the strings (important for acoustic players), and very nice flexibility characteristics so the picks flex enough to very your attack, but they snap back to position quickly, so they never feel "floppy." These are marketed to bluegrass players as a tortoise shell replacement, and are pretty thick picks.

Reading the patent prosecution and the discussions on the Acoustic Guitar Forum got me interested enough to spring for one. I now have two, and am considering a third. It turns out they have another benefit I'd never read about before: very clean attack which results in very accurate tracking on Roland guitar synths.

Some folks seem offended that a pick has the audacity to be so expensive.Yeah, they are stupid expensive. Are they worth it? It depends on what you need in a pick. I like mine and have no regrets.

• 2 weeks later...

No they are not V-picks at all, they are Stadium Picks, they feel like they were sandblasted, you won't drop them but if you do your not out $4.00. Even though I think the Owner of the V-picks operation is nice cat, $4.00 a pick is just too much cork for me to sniff.

I like the stadium pic , very thick but light weight and fast for flatpickin , I hold a pick and finger pick with 2nd and 3rd fingers as well, for that it felt a little awkward ( maybe because of the thickness ), but I could see havin about 4-5 of each on my amp for gigs

• 1 month later...

I drill holes in them for a little better grip.

They have a Euro model that has holes already drilled. I'm not sure which V-Pick you prefer but the description in the Euro states that it's a great replacement for the Jazz III so if you like the small pointed ones, that one might work for you.

Another V-pick convert here. I'll admit that I was a bit skeptical but decided to go ahead and give them a try. Yeah, they're expensive as picks go but in the grand scheme of things, I figured it was a relatively cheap tweak so what the heck. I ordered a selection of the ones that I thought would be most likely to work for me. I'm still going back and forth a bit on which one I prefer but one thing is certain -- the picks I used to use (primarily the Jazz III) sound absolutely dull and lifeless in comparison. Note: my playing still sounds dull and lifeless -- there's nothing that will fix that -- but hey, at least the tone is better. I just placed another order for a few more various picks. I'm kind of starting to wish I had never tried them. ;)

I need to get a keychain pick holder to carry them as I'm notorious for losing picks out of my pockets and/or purse. I don't lose picks around the house but if I leave the house with 10 picks, I'm lucky to have 2 or 3 left by the time I return. I think I'll just carry the Jazz III and other assorted el-cheapo picks with me until I get a keychain holder.

Archived