Hamer Fan Club Message Center

skunk stripe question

ntkguitar

Question

12 answers to this question

Sinking of the finish into the grain/contraction of the walnut.

It could be caused by changes in humidity...or the lack of it during the colder months of the year. You don't want to keep the guitar stored too close to any sources of dry heat during the fall/winter. As far as fixing it, it's hard to say without seeing it IMO, photos would help members of the HFC, but you'd probably need to take it in to a luthier/repair person for an estimate.

Thanks. I bought on ebay about 6 months ago and it was already there. The neck has sort of a satin finish not glossy like my T51 could that affect it ? It is only around 10 to 12th fret

I've got that issue on one of my Daytonas, and the only time I notice it is when wiping down the neck - never while playing.

I've run across that on a few old skunk stripe necks.

Has to be a finish/wood expansion-contraction thing, since none of them had any actual seam separation, like the truss rod was trying to pop out.

Seems to be a common occur ace, like finish checking. No biggie.

You can also get the finish to lift. The woods used are different and shrink and expand at different rates related to temperature and moisture. It's very common to have finish breaks at those kind of areas.

Archived