Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gibby Lp china fakes are getting better

murkat

I'm not sure anymore if the Chinese counterfeits are narrowing the gap with Gibson, or if Gibson is narrowing the gap on the counterfeits.

While it still was in 2006, the rosewood board isn't such an anomaly anymore given that Gibson has produced Customs with all sorts of fretboard materials now.

I can still spot the irregularities a mile away, but I agree with Jay that they've gotten much craftier, and the fakes are certainly better than they were a decade ago.

They still can't seem to get some glaring items correct, but that doesn't stop people from either buying them without knowing the difference or buying them to scam other people.

It's really not that hard to educate yourself, I mean, seriously - there's only the whole fucking internet!

I spent a many years at the GCS building them, before that, an authorized gibson RCC.

just a few obviouses....

bridge, posts.

pup rings

fretboard, inlays, frets, nut

tuners

poly finish glare in pics

backplates

all the screws.

the one thing that they got right, two screw TRC even though it is wrong

The shapes, dimensions and part placement are all (or mostly all) off from actual Gibson spec. I can see one from 25 feet away and tell, but then again, I have a really critical eye for detail, so things like that bug me.

They typically use an Epiphone-like curve to the headstock sides, never really nail the scroll, have challenges with the logo/logo placement, never get the size right on the split diamond inlay, use rosewood/other lighter wood boards instead of Ebony (easier before Gibson started cheaping out there too), don't have the fret end "nibs" (easier before Gibson started cheaping out there too), use a glopped on thicker, glossy poly finish, rarely get the placement of the toggle switch/washer correct, have a weird shape to the treble horn, don't do the pickguard/bracket right quite often, wrong number of binding ply layers on LP Customs, slightly offset control layout, wrong bridges, cheap hardware, multi-piece/off center seam bodies, incorrect/cheap cases, serial number font is hot-stamped after the finish has been applied...

I could go on, but that's off the top of my head.

I'm curious: what were the things that you found to be signs of it being a fake? I'm not an expert on LPs, by any means, but the tuners on that one seem off.

You should start with serial - the way the numbers look is wrong, the font is wrong. Second most obvious - bridge posts, Gibson never had them made to be used with screwdriver ( unless it's harmonica bridge from the 70's). Those two should be enough to start with. Another most obvious - frets should have nibs, or fret binding ( where the neck binding goes over the frets, unless guitar had fret job, then the nibs get shaved off in most cases), Fretboard should be ebony ( some new ones had baked maple ( Classic Custom) or richlite, so for the one who is not familiar it's a bit hard to identify, but definitely not rosewood).

All other things like screws, PU rings, inlays are harder to identify for not trained eye. But first three I'd say is a must know.

I'm curious: what were the things that you found to be signs of it being a fake? I'm not an expert on LPs, by any means, but the tuners on that one seem off.

Even after owning one for 35 years, I was going to ask the same question. Something didn't look quite right, but it would be nice to be able to spot it at a glance like you pros can. It would suck to be some kid buying his first LP and getting hooked by that.

I recently picked up one of those ( at least like the one in the video above, the ebay listing is gone. ) on a lark. $275 shipped. Maybe I'm being naive but I can't imagine anyone being fooled by it.

For the price though it's godawful and I have enough random parts kicking around to upgrade it a bit on the cheap.

If I do wind up selling it I think I'll Dremel over the the USA stamp on the back of the headstock and engrave China though.

I've seen some Ibanez JEMs that look just like the real thing... very minor differences the vast majority of guitarists would miss, at least before buying it.

The scarey thing about counterfeits is once they're "in the system" they sooner or later get sold to someone who actually believes it's real, who then sells it.

I've seen some Ibanez JEMs that look just like the real thing... very minor differences the vast majority of guitarists would miss, at least before buying it.

The scarey thing about counterfeits is once they're "in the system" they sooner or later get sold to someone who actually believes it's real, who then sells it.

Funny thing lately is, is that lots of pawnshops are reporting being sold counterfeit guitars...of course, they buy them unusually cheap in the first place (as compared to the originals), then cry foul and plead ignorance when they 'find out' (or when somebody else points it out) they're not genuine. <_<

This LP Studio looks to me to be a typical 2013 Made In The USA satin-finish LP Studio (no affiliation, BTW)...but the seller apparently doesn't think so. Of course, the ultra-thin satin finish and lack of pore filler on the mahogany just MAKES it look like it should be MIC (I don't think the Chinese would bother with a satin finish myself). I think Gibson has discontinued the cheapo-looking satin-finished models, or will very soon for next year:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REPLICA-CHINA-MADE-2013-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-STUDIO-SUNBURST-SATIN-FINISH-IN-BAG-/271674651327?

This LP Studio looks to me to be a typical 2013 Made In The USA satin-finish LP Studio (no affiliation, BTW)...but the seller apparently doesn't think so. Of course, the ultra-thin satin finish and lack of pore filler on the mahogany just MAKES it look like it should be MIC (I don't think the Chinese would bother with a satin finish myself). I think Gibson has discontinued the cheapo-looking satin-finished models, or will very soon for next year:

wow, that looks like a normal fireburst studio... even the bag is the exact one you get with recent lower end gibbos... what's his act?

That 100% IS a real Gibson.

What the hell?!?!?!?!

Seller is an idiot.

Archived