Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gibby Lp china fakes are getting better

murkat

It's really a shame that it's *that* hard to tell.

I hear what you guys are saying about dimensions of fakes being "off", but I find that really hard to understand. Copying the correct dimensions is trivially easy for any CNC shop. Considering that these were designed before computer-aided design, the general dimensions must have been easy. With the widely available computer-aided measuring equipment that even small production shops have, copying the exact dimensions down to the nearest 10,000th of an inch is nearly effortless. Additionally, I suspect that that data (in the form of STEP files) are probably easy to find on the 'Net.

Considering that, I'd figure that the only noticeable differences these days would be limited to hardware choices and workmanship.

I'm not saying that you guys calling out bodies as obvious fake are wrong, I'm saying it's hard to understand how any counterfeiter would be failing to get the body, neck and headstock spot-on because it's really no additional work for them. And with all the data that the people provide on how to spot a fake, the counterfeiters have a guide on what to tweak.

It sucks for Gibson and for the market. Especially people that don't have time to study up on small differences between fonts and tuner hardware.

I guess the real shame is that the US rolls over like a beaten dog, when it comes to protecting the IP of US firms.

This LP Studio looks to me to be a typical 2013 Made In The USA satin-finish LP Studio (no affiliation, BTW)...but the seller apparently doesn't think so. Of course, the ultra-thin satin finish and lack of pore filler on the mahogany just MAKES it look like it should be MIC (I don't think the Chinese would bother with a satin finish myself). I think Gibson has discontinued the cheapo-looking satin-finished models, or will very soon for next year:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REPLICA-CHINA-MADE-2013-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-STUDIO-SUNBURST-SATIN-FINISH-IN-BAG-/271674651327?

Looks real enough to me.

Maybe he thinks it'll make more money than a Gibson or that it will encourage bargain hunters to bid thinking they know something the seller doesn't..

I sent a Ebay message to the seller, telling them what's been confirmed here (no, I didn't drop the HFC name), that their guitar is 100% genuine Gibson USA, and this was their response:

Unfortunately, I am sure it is. The front wood isn't faced. The logo is bubbled. The electronics are proper, as is the neck, but a few things on it make me think it is a China made..

thanks
Pawn Max

Hell, maybe pawn shops actually ARE getting fooled in believing that China-made counterfeits are real, to the point where they don't recognize the real deal anymore...or their buyers are either inexperienced or complete idiots, or both. I think that Henry shares some blame here, for letting Gibson send out guitars that look cheap in the first place. Insert double facepalm meme here. <_<

Looks real enough to me.

Maybe he thinks it'll make more money than a Gibson or that it will encourage bargain hunters to bid thinking they know something the seller doesn't..

I think we've uncovered a seller's brilliant marketing scheme!

It's really a shame that it's *that* hard to tell.

I hear what you guys are saying about dimensions of fakes being "off", but I find that really hard to understand. Copying the correct dimensions is trivially easy for any CNC shop. Considering that these were designed before computer-aided design, the general dimensions must have been easy. With the widely available computer-aided measuring equipment that even small production shops have, copying the exact dimensions down to the nearest 10,000th of an inch is nearly effortless. Additionally, I suspect that that data (in the form of STEP files) are probably easy to find on the 'Net.

Considering that, I'd figure that the only noticeable differences these days would be limited to hardware choices and workmanship.

I'm not saying that you guys calling out bodies as obvious fake are wrong, I'm saying it's hard to understand how any counterfeiter would be failing to get the body, neck and headstock spot-on because it's really no additional work for them. And with all the data that the people provide on how to spot a fake, the counterfeiters have a guide on what to tweak.

The Japanese already found out you cannot make a 100% correct copy of an LP or Strat, they got sued and lost. I had a '70's Ibanez LP Custom copy and believe me, it was pretty convincing. Dimension wise that is. If, however, you produce a guitar that only looks like the original at 1st glance but clearly is a copy upon closer inspection companies like Fender and Gibson have a hard time to prove the chinese guitars are counterfeits.The chinese will probably defend themselves saying the model is 'inspired' by...and that everybody can see it is not the real thing when they have a better look. A tried and tested Chinese tactics: 1st produce something that does not even come close and then, step by step. move in closer up to the point where you get sued. Then take 1 step back.

Just my thoughts,

Counterfeiters aren't worried about being sued. They make things to look good, not be good to sell as many as fast as possible, the disappear. Companies who just don't care about trademarks make them until they get the first letter.

CounterfeitLesPaul1.jpg

CounterfeitLesPaul2.jpg

CounterfeitLesPaul3.jpg

CounterfeitLesPaul4.jpg

You never know what's under the nice finish...

This LP Studio looks to me to be a typical 2013 Made In The USA satin-finish LP Studio (no affiliation, BTW)...but the seller apparently doesn't think so. Of course, the ultra-thin satin finish and lack of pore filler on the mahogany just MAKES it look like it should be MIC (I don't think the Chinese would bother with a satin finish myself). I think Gibson has discontinued the cheapo-looking satin-finished models, or will very soon for next year:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REPLICA-CHINA-MADE-2013-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-STUDIO-SUNBURST-SATIN-FINISH-IN-BAG-/271674651327?

I happened to pick up a used one of these from a local shop on Saturday. (A genuine Gibson, not a Chibson.) It's pretty much identical to the one on eBay but mine is a 2014 Studio Pro. While the counterfeits are certainly getting better, they often get the logo placement wrong and have crappy pots, caps and pup wiring, among other things.

As others here have said, the one on eBay certainly looks like the real deal.

Yeah, that's a real Gibson. Why they'd think it to be fake, not sure. Counterfeiting a Studio seems like a waste of time anyhow.

Yeah, that's a real Gibson. Why they'd think it to be fake, not sure. Counterfeiting a Studio seems like a waste of time anyhow.

+1! They never said why exactly they thought it was Chinese-made, when I asked them, other than this:

"Unfortunately, I am sure it is. The front wood isn't faced. The logo is bubbled. The electronics are proper, as is the neck, but a few things on it make me think it is a China made..

thanks

Pawn Max"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-B-C-Rich-BC-Rich-Mockingbird-Supreme-Koa-electric-guitar-w-case-AMAZING-/171550663132?pt=Guitar&hash=item27f13761dc&nma=true&si=iYV54aKtsMa7CiqU17c4AwoN50g%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The guys on the B.C. Rich forum have declared this a fake, it sure looks nice to me... other then it's a like absolutely new for a 1979 guitar... it would fool me. Heck, I'd jump on it if it was around here. Of course it could be assembled from New/Old/Stock parts, a complete refin/rebuild... or even a top quality luthier's copy...

P.S. the store has been notified and was respectful so no nasty letters please.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-B-C-Rich-BC-Rich-Mockingbird-Supreme-Koa-electric-guitar-w-case-AMAZING-/171550663132?pt=Guitar&hash=item27f13761dc&nma=true&si=iYV54aKtsMa7CiqU17c4AwoN50g%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The guys on the B.C. Rich forum have declared this a fake, it sure looks nice to me... other then it's a like absolutely new for a 1979 guitar... it would fool me. Heck, I'd jump on it if it was around here. Of course it could be assembled from New/Old/Stock parts, a complete refin/rebuild... or even a top quality luthier's copy...

Thant's one of the guitars I do not know nothing about. Could've fooled me.

Really hard to tell but I would say the tuners are too new, the TRC is not laminated, the bridge should be a bad ass (but I wouldn't swear to it) and the S/N looks like the wrong font (have to check more closely) and is it a coincidence that the SN starts with 79.

It looks more like it was made in 1989 or 99, could it have been mis-numbered as it came off the line or an employees guitar ?

Do you have a link to the thread on the B.C Rich site please ?

I sent a Ebay message to the seller, telling them what's been confirmed here (no, I didn't drop the HFC name), that their guitar is 100% genuine Gibson USA, and this was their response:

Unfortunately, I am sure it is. The front wood isn't faced. The logo is bubbled. The electronics are proper, as is the neck, but a few things on it make me think it is a China made..

thanks

Pawn Max

Hell, maybe pawn shops actually ARE getting fooled in believing that China-made counterfeits are real, to the point where they don't recognize the real deal anymore...or their buyers are either inexperienced or complete idiots, or both. I think that Henry shares some blame here, for letting Gibson send out guitars that look cheap in the first place. Insert double facepalm meme here. <_<

O.K. that is funny. Gibson is making such poor quality guitars, no one things they are Gibsons? I'm so confused. Gibson has such a good reputation / brand that when folks are faced with the truth, that the guitars are pretty mediocre, they go into denial. If everyone played guitar, there would be an SNL sketch here.

Archived