Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD 1979 Hamer Sunburst Black Bound and Crowned

Just a short review/comparison of my 2 Black 1979 Hamer Sunbursts now that I have had some time over the weekend to sit down an play them both.The first one I bought [affectionately named "THE BLACK WITCH"] with the Kahler is just a outstanding instrument,I have loved owning it and playing it and its part of the reason I wanted another Sunburst.The neck on that guitar is a one piece and its what would be termed a medium full C shape...........it does get fatter toward the neck and its really a comfortable neck to play on all over.The neck on the "NEW" 1979 Black Sunburst [Now also affectionately to be known as "The Road Warrior"] has I believe a 3 piece neck,[Hard to tell with a Black opaque finish ] With the chipped finish on the top of the headstock....... looking at that it appears to be so] a few other expert Hamer members here have told me that would be the case this late in in 1979 production[This guitars serial is 9 1450]..........AND.its in the book.[3 piece necks on Sunbursts began with 9 1016] This neck feels wider,.thicker and flatter on the back..............its just really super comfortable to play on .I have not had a chance to do actual measurements yet but it definitely feels much different.The heal is finished different also, the BW's is more squared off where the RW is more rounded where it leads into the body.The biggest thing I noticed in the comparison was the weight, the BW is MUCH heavier, I was very surprised at the difference............at.just how light the RW feels [i know what your going to say the Kahler has to add at least 5 lbs to the weight of the BW. LOL! The RW is also a more more airy sounding guitar......a real warm sound[i have been playing alot of jazz tunes on this guitar and its sounds fantastic] where the notes kind of bloom out as to compared to the BW which is right there with a in your face kind of presence,more aggressive if you will.[The bridge PUPs ARE different in BOTH guitars.] The BW has the DiMarzio "X2N",the RW has what I believe after doing some research a DiMarzio "Super Distortion".I have had SDs in other guitars long,long ago so I think I'm correct on that but after I change out the short profile bridge PUP ring it currently has I'll certainly know for sure.The RW is as you can see much more played in[And it feels much more played in if that makes any sense].............as to how that contributes to the over all sound is depending on your take .......... either fact or fantasy.................in any case the guitars do sound real different and of course you would expect that as they are different. All and all I'm so very lucky to have to 2 great guitars like this...............my favorite Hamer model from the "BEST" year. ;) and my favorite color,for me it does not get any better than this...............I'll own these guitars until I can't play any longer, these ARE it! :wub: BTW I asked Steve but never got a response back as of yet so maybe someone else could comment.............at 9 1450 could this be the last Black "Bound and Crowned" Sunburst from the original run [1977-1979] Hamer made? I don't see any others from 78-79[Martin Barre had the first Black one] on the 'OLD" serial number list at least...........I know Steve[sERIAL] said that list was out of date and inaccurate. But that would be kind of cool IF that were the case.............any one here have a 79 B&C Black Sunburst with a serial later than this one? Either way I feel privileged to own these fine pieces of Hamer History :wub: . 2n6u1ys.jpgqohljt.jpg

Every Hamer Fan should at least have played one of those original sunbursts.

Congratulations !

Thank YOU! and I quite agree! :) You should know you have a spectacular one![maybe others :unsure: ] yourself..............that "Natural" finished Sunburst you own is gorgeous :wub: ............and if I remember the read correctly on the HFC.................. isn't that the earliest "Natural" Sunburst documented?

Every Hamer Fan should at least have played one of those original sunbursts.

Congratulations !

Thank YOU! and I quite agree! :) You should know you have a spectacular one![maybe others :unsure: ] yourself..............that "Natural" finished Sunburst you own is gorgeous :wub: ............and if I remember the read correctly on the HFC.................. isn't that the earliest "Natural" Sunburst documented?

I guess so, it's 70069 - I also have 80105 - a early '78. I lost my pics, I'll make new ones.

Thanks much appreciated :) ....................I actually DID find a Black 78 that was B&C'd and had the deal all set to go but then the buyer[We talked quite a few times and we contacted each other through this forum] of my guitar that I was selling to fund the Hamer walked off the map and never contacted me again regarding a explanation.............obviously he chose not buy my guitar.So I put that one out of my mind.........knowing how good my first 79 Black "Sunburst" was it seemed foolish to pass this one up when it was brought to my attention that it was available.Looking back now things actually worked out better. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived