Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The 25 Greatest Wah Solos of All Time

MCChris

I didn't realistically think that "Rocky" by Thin Lizzy -- my favorite solo ever, wah or otherwise -- would make the list, but no TL solos at all? Fail.

Still, some good ones on here. Although if there's wah on COP, it's the only thing that's subtle about that solo.

http://www.guitarworld.com/pedal-metal-25-greatest-wah-solos-all-time

As much as Randy Rhoads tone is much reviled, IMO it works rather well with the tasty application of wah in You Can't Kill Rock n Roll-

Check out his use at 3:12 and again on the outro at 5:44

Cult of Personality is in my Top 5 all time solos, but I don't think of wah at all when I think of that solo. And I would have picked Super Stupid if I was picking something by Eddie Hazel since everything about that song is awesome whereas Maggot Brain is unlistenable :lol: They absolutely got the Satriani, Vai, Slash and Hendrix picks right though. The wah-laden noodling in Carry On by CSN is one of my personal favorites, but I'm not surprised it didn't make the list :D

-

Austin

I think "Cult" has Vernon using a cocked wah. I don't hear any wah modulation at all. He does make liberal use of a Floyd to affect the attack of certain notes...but that's not a wah.

I think "Cult" has Vernon using a cocked wah. I don't hear any wah modulation at all. He does make liberal use of a Floyd to affect the attack of certain notes...but that's not a wah.

Wish i hadn't read this thread as it led me to youtube to see if there where any lessons on the solo.

Jeez

Put a f'in shirt on.

Random comments as I scan through the list:

Maggot Brain!

"Say What?" a "long-winded instrumental"? <_<

It is my understanding the recorded version of the "White Room" solo was Clapton's first use of the wah pedal - he plugged it in and they hit record.

As much as Randy Rhoads tone is much reviled, IMO it works rather well with the tasty application of wah in You Can't Kill Rock n Roll-

His tone is reviled? I consider his tone to be one of my favorites. Classic MXR DIstortion + with some marshall grit added, and usually some tape delay in the mix.

This list is pretty good though. I went quickly forward to see the top 5, because I knew that if White Room wasn't up there, it wasn't worth reading.

Now we need to have a long and inane discussion about whether the Wah comes before or after the Fuzz box.

His tone is reviled? I consider his tone to be one of my favorites. Classic MXR DIstortion + with some marshall grit added, and usually some tape delay in the mix.

I've heard copious criticism of his tone over the years, much of which I've ignored as it is a subjective assessment.

I've heard copious criticism of his tone over the years, much of which I've ignored as it is a subjective assessment.

Let me guess - criticism by people whose names I wouldn't recognize and whose music I've never bought? That's how it usually is.

I found this link to a different list:

http://www.guitarworld.com/high-strung-25-all-time-weirdest-guitarists?page=0,0

Of the ones on there that I've actually heard, I tend to agree with their placement thereon

The Rhoads tone debate usually centers around how the roaring LP-->MXR-->Marshall sound for which he was known somehow morphed into what I've read described as a "Crate practice amp on 11" rhythm sound on Blizzard of Ozz. His live work with Ozzy clearly showed a significant difference between the tone of his typical live rig and the recorded rhythm tone as produced by Max Norman.

It's all in the ears of the beholder, but to me, the album version of "Over the Mountain" is a much more faithful rendering of Rhoads' tone than anything on Blizzard.

I like the atmospheric effect when Hendrix brings on the wah-wah in his solo in "All Along the Watchtower."

I think the intro to DLR's Yankee Rose should be in there, but it's not a solo per se. Very indicative of Vai's work on Flexible...

...and talk about a great video... "I'll have a bottle of anything and a glazed donought... to go!"

ETA: Bad Horsie is what it is, but it's not the first Vai song i think of...

Archived