Hamer Fan Club Message Center

catalog snakeskin Virtuoso in England...?

tobereeno

Wasn't Paul long gone by the time Virts were invented? And while I was told there were 22 Virts, I believe we have confirmed there are more like 30. Either way, it certainly isn't 10 in total.

I've always heard, here on the HFC, that Paul designed them. Appears to be true according to the Hamer Workshop blog: https://hamerworkshop.wordpress.com/tag/luthiery/

"Paul Hamer designed this guitar in 1986, aptly naming it after the type of musician who would covet such an instrument. The first Virtuoso was completed in January, 1987. We continued to build Virtuosos on a most limited basis into 1989. This one was built in June of 1988."

In my book it is the ugliest Hamer model ever built, and pretty far from what everything I love about Hamer is about. But the model sure has it's fans here on the HFC, so I should probably just be quiet.

Paul still owns his - a Korina one with a Sustainblock. They are not one trick ponies, for sure. Really unique sound/tone and a cool scale length. I honestly have little use for things in the "dogs & Dolphins" upper registers, but they are something worth checking out if you ever have the chance.

"In my book it is the ugliest Hamer model ever built," was the six string Eclipse.

I actually don't know why I can't get my head around that design.

It's 12 string brethern, now that is a diffferent story especially the one in Korina.

Hamerica

The scale length is magical. There's this clarity between strings and the scalloping makes it easier to control each note. Ironically, I feel like I get the most out of the guitar when I play slow and thoughtfully.

I hope to order a few custom shredders when it becomes possible, and while I'm 100% sure I won't be asking for more than 24 frets, I'm 90% sure I'll be asking for the 26.25" scale.

Les Paul's recordings had notes played in the dogs and dolphins range. He got that effect by recording at half speed and then getting the effect of the notes sounding an octave higher when played back at normal speed. That sounded unique, but when I heard some Homer and Jethro recordings that were basically jazz mandolin Les Paul's recordings sounded very contemporary for their time. The Virtuoso ought to put guitar players in that same tonal range.

Tobe - you are correct about that being a "magical scale"! I first got an appreciation for this one playing Hamerica's through a little Gibby tube amp down in the Korina forest. I believe I declared it the ultimate power pop guitar. Chimey and just full sounding as all get out.

Magical indeed!

I am curious to experience the scale length of a Virt. It really must open up that upper register.

The only reason I have held back on some opportunities where I could have bought one is the lack of flexibility with the stacked single coil.

I think that is why the Cali is so appealing. That single coil on the neck does add so many options.

• 3 weeks later...

Paul still owns his - a Korina one with a Sustainblock. They are not one trick ponies, for sure. Really unique sound/tone and a cool scale length. I honestly have little use for things in the "dogs & Dolphins" upper registers, but they are something worth checking out if you ever have the chance.

I am so happy I will get the chance to do so very soon...!!!!

And Paul was wrong about the type of people who would want one. If he wanted to be correct, it should be "Virtuoso & Fanboy" or "Virtuoso & Fool and his money are soon parted"

The one for sale is a 1992 model, so not the catalog Virt, eh?

Nice one Tobe.

I have secured this guitar and will treasure it. Lovely guitar shop owner, very helpful and just a true Gent. It's a '92 and he didn't realise as the research he did suggested they were all made between '87 and '91.

It is virtually unplayed and is its original case. Belonged to someone that sadly passed away and whose wife brought in five or six guitars this being one of them. Can't wait to play it next week!

Edited for spelling.

I thought about picking up that one myself and not posting the link, but with the recent amp and pedals purchase, and also the fact that I already own the exact same guitar...I would have been thrown out of the house for sure! So I'm happy to see it stay within the HFC family :)

I personally love the feel of the 26.25" scale. But what is unquestionable is the *sound* of that scale. It's an amazing guitar, even if you never venture above the 24th fret.

ETA: I don't think you'll miss having a neck pickup. Part of the appeal of the guitar is how much more dynamic control the left hand has over the sound. It must be a combination of the scalloping and the scale length. My Virt is the only guitar I own where I haven't touched the pickup.

Great acquisition. I love the shape and look of those guitars, though the Floyds are a big turn-off for me. But if you like having fun with the bar, that was a score. :) Congrats, man!

I always thought a cool variation on a Virtuoso would be to make one with a 24 fret neck, but with the same body. With the 24th fret at where the 31st fret is on a Virt, the bridge would move backwards and you'd have a nicely compact superstrat!

Archived