Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD HFC enablers made me do it..2004 Korina Jr

Hfan

This was posted in the for sale section as a PSA CL deal in NJ (thanks hamerhead). I already have a 93 P90 Special and never heard of one of these and though it would be redundant to what I already have but I kept hearing "great deal," "these are different" etc etc. Who am I to disagree?

The owned had just bought a Gibson 335 Dave Grohl or something for big bucks and was selling 3 guitars including this one. He had a VOS CS Gibbie LP Jr that he returned because he said this one was better FWIW. He even came down in price from the already (supposedly as per members here) low price. Never even plugged it in, I knew right away it was good. Just tested the truss rod before buying.

This thing is different. Never had a Jr of any kind, or a wrap tail set up or a Korina guitar so three firsts for me. It rings loud,acoustically, has a great neck carve with some meat to it and is just a cool piece, love the build quality (no surprise) and the general vibe. It is in great shape, no fret wear, some body dings that you can't really see due to the finish, they blend in, the neck has no dings. Good action, no buzzes etc. I love to play it unplugged, just feels alive if that makes sense. It is pretty too, great grain.

The bridge I believe is a Pig Tail. I haven't had the strings off yet to look at the bottom (the installed strings were even my regular D Addario .010s and appear fresh). I had to tweak the bridge some, it was on a slant and I couldn't intonate the low E with the saddle adjustment. Scratched my head a little, could find no set up tips for a Pig Tail. I saw that there were set screws at either stud and the treble side of the bridge was much closer to the nut then the bass side. I kinda evened it out and brought the bass side back some and I was able to intonate it. So I assume that's what the set screws are there for.

I am curious what other bridges other owners are using ...this one will do for now I'm sure. Did these ever come with this type of bridge? The one on the Hamer catalog is different.

The sound would cut out from time to time, assumed a bad connection in the jack or solder joint or something, but the interior jack nut was loose, tightened it up and it's been fine since..not sure how that could cause it but so far so good.

Not totally sold on the P90, I assume it's stock. I gave the hot Duncans in my 93 Special a few years before swapping them out for Wolfetones (love em) I'll give this one a chance. The pots do have useful sweeps which help a lot.

Anyhow here it is.. will swear off the Used gear section here as this is my 2nd local Hamer I have been led to in the last month..

DSC_0009_zpsf3c2726a.jpg

DSC_0026_zps0821349f.jpg

DSC_0023_zps802bf208.jpg

DSC_0020_zps97764c3a.jpg

DSC_0019_zps8a722f3c.jpg

DSC_0007_zps61ce252c.jpg

DSC_0012_zps29da8341.jpg

DSC_0015_zps0c3cd4fa.jpg

Wow, loving the wide grain on that one. No need to sweat out another few months with another hot SD P90, start looking for the right replacement now, the sooner the better. Not sure on the bridge, but seems as though you got it sorted.

rock on.

Thanks G Man. Really I'm not sure what the pickup is or what they were using in 2004..assuming it's a hot Duncan..it reminds me some of the ones I had in my 93. I'll pull it out when I change strings and look.

I love my Wolftones (Mean and Meaner) in my 93 Special so much, I'm tempted to just get a Meaner and install it but maybe I'll get something a little different..open to suggestions. I like vintage tones with some balls if that's any help.

Edit: Ha, just occurred to me that to replace "pickups" in a Jr you only have to buy one..cool

That one looks really great! The grain of the body wood is very nice.

I'll kiss and tell, he went down to $900 over the phone and to $875 because I drove to his location. And because he "hates CL". This will be a keeper for sure.

Congrats!

I'll kiss and tell, he went down to $900 over the phone and to $875 because I drove to his location. And because he "hates CL". This will be a keeper for sure.

Congrats!

Congrats for sure! I also picked one up last year, but at more like the going rate. What the hell, it was nearby. My bridge isn't like yours, but the good things you mention mostly apply to mine, too, so I guess they knew what they were doing over at the factory. Be sure to post when you figure out what to do about the pickup, or the bridge.

Nice score! It's a beauty. I will recommend Sheptone for a pickup. It's what I'd put in it, being quite happy with each one I've come across and use myself.

I'd personally keep the bridge for full intonation abilities, or something similar. Don't personally have any experience with that one, but intonation ability is key. In my opinion, of course.

You stole it... Congrats!

My korina Junior is the one I reach for 4 out of 5 times. I had the Duncan custom shop wind me a SH6 in the dog ear package, I love it.

looks like one that was ordered through me

I'd be interested in any history on the guitar. The seller only had it a few months. I'll pm you with the sn if you'd like to have a look..

Good deal....would love to hear from you how you compare both Special and Junior (Mahogany / Korina)

Enjoy it...

Will do. In the for sale thread you had asked how I would rate if for jazz applications, I never got back to you. I'm no jazz player but I noodle a little. I guess any guitar can be used for jazz but with that said, this would not be my first choice, This thing is great if you want to dig in for whatever application. The action is not super low, but even played acoustically, I can dig in and it just rings out buzz free. Hope that's some help.

Thanks again for all the kind words, it is in the HFC fold now FWIW.

looks like one that was ordered through me

How can you tell?

Congrats Pete. Great score and super deal.

So you now approve of the headstock? After you made fun of it I almost abandoned my pursuit. You've been spending too much time with the Heritage guys me thinks :P

Thanks Mike.

FWIW, my 2007 Special Korina was a custom run for Willcutt's, and it has that Pig Tail bridge as original spec. It's listed on the certificate, if you have the cert, I'd guess it's called out there, too.

I ended up with WCR G90s in my special K, oh boy, those pickups are magical.

Nice guitar man. Play it in good health.

FWIW, my 2007 Special Korina was a custom run for Willcutt's, and it has that Pig Tail bridge as original spec. It's listed on the certificate, if you have the cert, I'd guess it's called out there, too.

I ended up with WCR G90s in my special K, oh boy, those pickups are magical.

Nice guitar man. Play it in good health.

Good info, thanks. No paperwork of any kind came with the guitar..guitar and case, that's it.

Do you have your bridge backed out some with the set screws towards the bottom of the guitar? Without engaging the set screws I wouldn't be able to intonate it.

Archived