Hamer Fan Club Message Center

blasphemy thread: Anyone NOT a fan of flamed maple guitars?

sirDaniel

Master Chris beat me to it.

I'm a friend of all guitars...

I like 'em all...

I'm with these guys... I wouldn't say yes or no to a guitar just because it's got a figured top. Once it's got a figured top, I judge the top by its own set of criteria, which means it's harder for a figured top guitar to catch my attention than a solid topped one, but still... very do-able. :D

I love the beauty of flamed/quilted maple, but I've only owned one flamey guitar (that I can remember) - this is where I learned there are, to me, more important things.

I sold this incredible beauty:

IMG_1987a.jpg

... to buy this:

DSC00566_zps9eeff501.jpg

Same basic shape, both fantastic guitars, but the vintage carve neck on the plain 'hog Senior sealed the deal for me (admittedly, the sustain block was gravy on the gravy!). Would I prefer the Senior with an 80's-special style curly maple veneer? Sure, but that wasn't in the spirit of the "Senior" when it was created.

Count me among those who appreciate great tops but don't find them in my stable. I've only owned one guitar with a really nicely flamed top, and in the end it was too blinged out for me to really bond with. Maybe it was the gold hardware. Like dating a really hot woman where everything clicks except personalities.

My often thought of and fondly remembered McInturff Glory custom:

TCMGloryCustom002.jpg

I can appreciate it, but I'm not a fan. I find it unnecessarily fancy. In addition, I mentally associate it with binding, which I don't like very much. But of course, I have NOTHING against beauty, so I do understand those who dig fancy tops. :)

Two fancy maple tops were bought in the 90's, and they suit me just fine. One is a Les Paul and the other is my 8 string Chaparral bass. murkat reveneered a Sunburst for me a couple of years ago with a nice flame, and the look of that guitar is just right. Not too flamey. Not too plain. My three korina Hamers are all natural and look good, too.

Of the three instruments, none come to mind because of the looks. Instead it is all about the feel. If I ever order a Shishkov, the great looking maple tops are tempting, but a solid black or white finish will work just as well.

I love figured wood, but that isn't a make or break for me. I'm glad that the two Hamers with figured tops also sound amazing. Heck, my maple Cali is hand down the best sounding guitar I own.

ETA: I understand the "unecessarily fancy / it's just a tool" aspect, BUT I also view guitars as at least to some degree art. When I think of artisans producing an instrument, I don't just think "it's a tool", I think that they are pouring some of their soul into those pieces of wood and meta to create something that is more than just the sum of those pieces...but that's just me.

post-1271-0-88722300-1369067512_thumb.jp
post-1271-0-92328100-1388868574_thumb.jp

I can appreciate it, but I'm not a fan. I find it unnecessarily fancy. In addition, I mentally associate it with binding, which I don't like very much. But of course, I have NOTHING against beauty, so I do understand those who dig fancy tops. :)

Mmm did you guys came together?? (cause you're definitely from another planet)

I cant remember the last time I owned one. I keep saying they look nice, but never vote with my wallet. My favorite LP was a plain top. I just dont understand myself somedays. And the PRS craze never flipped my dripper. What is WRONG with me.

:wacko:

Same planet as zorrow? :P

It depends on the character of the wood for me.

I really like something like this, where the lines are random and look quite natural

IMG_1987a.jpg

This lacks character and does nothing for me. Unfortunately, many of Hamer's later tops fall into this category.

TCMGloryCustom002.jpg

Wondering what my Shishkov Ultimate will look like is the first time in my life I've given thought to flaminess or quiltiness. I think the guitars I have are just the finish they happen to have. I'm not too big on the neon graphic 80s stuff but otherwise I don't think about it a lot.

Things where you can have a perfectly serviceable item for a very reasonable price, but derive pleasure by having something fulfilling certain criteria...

Other stuff fits the bill like...

Top end guns, Westley Richards, Boss, Hollands, Famars and one or two others,

... guitars - well we know all about those don't we...

Timepieces... Patek, Nardin, Breguet, possibly JLC...

Cars...Morgan, (i'll think of some others in the edit...)

... Mega high end hifi?

I prefer imperfections (knots, mineral streaks, spalting, etc) that add some natural character over a perfect flame or quilt. I loved that spalted Standard somebody here had done. That gave me an imperfect woody.

I see many that I think are beautiful- like Django's, which looks like a shimmering pool of water. They're just not my thing. While I don't think they'll completely fall from popularity, I think they're a period fashion, like gold hardware. Which, incidentally, are due for a come-back.

I like the plain wood better...stuff like a Hamer or Les Paul, I would rather have a trans finish, but over plain maple...weird huh? Like this-

http://www.billyduffy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Les-Paul-wood-top-2000.jpg

You might find his blog about his Gibson LP Custom Shop guitar interesting:

http://www.billyduffy.com/stories/new-gibson-custom-shop-flame-top/

Archived