Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Why I Have to Wait for My Wife To Leave the Country to Go Crazy

Just out of curiosity, are you looking for a variety of aesthetics? Because it seems there are only a handful of general guitar tones that can be had from several guitars, and after that it's all about looks (well, actually, there are different ways a guitar feels as well, but personal preference on what we look for in a neck is usually pretty narrow -- I think).

In any case, if you've got room for it and the wife is okay with it, why not, right?

There are many things I look for:

Functionality

Rarity/collectibility

Historical significance

Prettiness

Functionality itself is complicated. Pickup configuration...my favorite is H/S/S, with a splittable humbucker. But what about having the option of the bridge humbucker being series or parallel wiring? Okay, the EBMM Reflex Game Changer fully takes care of that. But what about P-90s? But it lacks a trem and only has 22 frets. Gotta have some 24 fret guitars, gotta have trem guitars. The Mercury Head has P-Rails and a trem, so scratches that itch. I also got my choice among some limited colors, but it was exactly what I was looking for in colors, so it is pretty to me, too. So for 24 fret guitars trem guitars, I have a Diablo. But I love the sound of swamp ash bodies. Okay, Centaura w/ swamp ash. But I need a Sustainer, no? Okay, a Chap w/ Sustainer. But then I pick up my crappy Dean Z and the neck just feels *perfect*. I don't have a problem with most necks, but there's something about it that fits me like a glove. Can't let it go, right? But when I play the Fernandes I just got, it has the sweetest neck position single coil tone of all my guitars...hard to let go. And then, when I pick up a Yamaha Pacifica PAC 721, the combination of thin neck, loose trem, low action, and good tone just lets me play wild but good...seems to make me play better. But I also need non-locking trems so I can tune down to play Winger songs without having to deal with detuning a Floyd Rose system, so the Vintage S, Yamaha Pacifica PAC 612 or PAC 604w come in handy. And then Steinberger has the transtrem out, which lets you bend chords in tune and change the tuning of the guitar up *or* down 1 or 2 halfsteps...fixed bridge when changed, but still useful. And all this is fine, but what about a scalloped neck guitar? They help you play faster, if you play light (and I do). Okay, the Virtuoso checks that box. ...but what about ebony fretboards? Stainless Steel frets?

The only way I could have one guitar is if they made a Virtuoso with scalloped ebony fretboard, stainless steel frets, aqua-burst flamed maple top over swamp ash, with a trans-trem, piezo saddles, and 2 P-rails run through an EBMM Game Changer system. That might satisfy me.*

And then there's rarity/collectibility/historical significance.

Only approximately 20 Chap 12 strings were made, maybe less (I can't remember). Rare, but for some reason, not that collectible...not many people want 12-strings?

Also a Westone x390 Pantera, and its follow-on a Trevor Rabin signature. More than 100 of the Panteras made (legend is 96, but I feel like I've accounted for more than that bouncing around), no idea how many Trevor Rabin signatures. Collectible, to an extent, in that they are pursued by those who know about them, even if not heavily pursued.

Historical significance might include the Steinberger ZT3, or an Alvarez Scoop, or a Peavey Vandenberg, or a guitar with a Modulus Graphite neck...not rare and maybe not even collectible...but something that changed the game in the guitar world, had an impact, made a splash...something piece of guitar history that could be in a museum if they ever have a definitive museum anywhere (like there are for pistols of the Old West, say).

The historical significance slot has become less important. I sold both Scoops, sold my Vandenbergs, sold my Modulus Graphite necks...just not enough space.

Another reason I hold onto guitars is based on a subjective assessment of the price to capability. A $1500 guitar that plays like a $2500 guitar is good right? Okay, now what about a $150 guitar that plays/sounds 99% as good?

Best example of this is the Vintage S vs a Yamaha SE 350. I got the Vintage S for $1300; some have said that was a steal (although not an incredible one, since the EQ is missing). But I got the SE 350 for $50 from a pawnshop.

Both guitars are HSS. Advantage: Even

Both guitars trems stay in tune. Advantage: Even

Vintage S non-locking trem vs SE 350 double locking. Advantage: Vintage S

Vintage S w/ flamed maple vs SE 350, plain black. Advantage: Vintage S

Both have excellent single coil & notch tones. Advantage: Even

I don't like the humbucker tone on the Vantage S. Advantage: SE 350

Humbucker splits on the SE 350. Advantage: SE 350

Clearly, I should sell the Vintage S. The SE 350 was a fraction of the cost but is very nearly as good...and in 2 significant ways, it's better!

But I think I just gave about 1/3 of the HFC a heart attack by saying the SE 350 is in some way better than a Vintage S.

And I cannot deny: the flamed maple of the Vintage S and its sleek lines make me want to pick it up much more than I want to pick up the SE 350.

Moreover, the weaknesses of the Vintage S are fixable. It is with Jay (murkat) right now, and I'll probably get a Parallel Axis Trembucker put in, can probably have it splittable, as well as having an EQ installed. But that just makes it more expensive, too. It becomes 34 times the price of the SE 350 vs just 26 times the price.

And when it comes right down to it, if I owe the family several thousand dollars, it will be difficult to get there selling $50 guitars. Much quicker selling $1300-$1700 guitars, right?

So that's where my struggle comes in:

Urge to simplify warring with the urge for a wide range of playability and capability.

Urge for really rare, cool, collectible guitars warring with the requirement to not be a net drain on family finances.

Urge for the unique, cool, special warring with the urge for reasonable focus on the only reasonable outcome: good music

So I've kind of ended up with the standard: if the guitar makes me happy, I'm keeping it. No "should keep" due to other people's opinions. A guitar might make me happy due to appearance, or tone, or rarity, or functionality, or any combination. There are going to be some keepers that don't make sense, and some sold that some will think I'm crazy to let go.

*but probably not. I'd still something else I want...like carbon fiber, or flamed maple, or different trem...

The only way I could have one guitar is if they made a Virtuoso with scalloped ebony fretboard, stainless steel frets, aqua-burst flamed maple top over swamp ash, with a trans-trem, piezo saddles, and 2 P-rails run through an EBMM Game Changer system. That might satisfy me.*

*but probably not. I'd still something else I want...like carbon fiber, or flamed maple, or different trem...

I smell a Shishkov CO coming on... :D

Never understood the 24 fret deal breaker but I grew up on 21 and rode a mule

They don't *all* have to have 24 frets.

But some should.

Just in case I need 'em.

Hence the trouble of not actively gigging. With no focus/setlist, we bedroom players can fall into the trap of thinking we need to own at least one of every guitar used for every style of music.

...which can all be handled by a Telecaster.

--

A telecaster can't whammy.

Fail.

The only guitar that can do almost anything is a whammy-equipped guitar loaded with P-Rails.

Wow. I like it!

I have never had all of my guitars out at once. I tend to plumb for two or three of them and the others lie patiently in wait.

Whilst I don't have as many guitars as you Nathan there are none I own - certainly not my Hamers- -that I'd consider selling. I made a deal with myself to avoid guitar "bargains" and only go for ones that I could consider keepers.

Archived