Hamer Fan Club Message Center

More shop time

Northfield

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have been trying to take a few shots of things I may not have shown before...

005_zpsran1z4zi.jpg

Now that’s some precision joinery. Always wondered why many mfgs./luthiers round off the corners of their neck blank dados (not sure if “dado” is the right term for the the part of the neck that glues into the body, so apologies if not correct) I’d surmise that’s because it’s more forgiving than a precisely-cut joint. The sides/top may be true, but there is no true contact/fit in the corners.

I think the woodworking skills of Hamer’s builders is what set them apart from many of their contemporaries. I wish I had gone to one of the HFC Open House events and seen Jol insert an unglued neck into a Studio Custom body and hold it in the air, showing the tight tolerances of the neck joints. Pretty impressive! :)

I watched Jol do that with a Standard. :huh::blink::wacko::ph34r:

Looking great as always Mr. Shishkov. Thank you for sharing and selling us the results of your skills. I will play it accordingly. B)

Have been trying to take a few shots of things I may not have shown before...

005_zpsran1z4zi.jpg

Now that’s some precision joinery. Always wondered why many mfgs./luthiers round off the corners of their neck blank dados (not sure if “dado” is the right term for the the part of the neck that glues into the body, so apologies if not correct) I’d surmise that’s because it’s more forgiving than a precisely-cut joint. The sides/top may be true, but there is no true contact/fit in the corners.

I think the woodworking skills of Hamer’s builders is what set them apart from many of their contemporaries. I wish I had gone to one of the HFC Open House events and seen Jol insert an unglued neck into a Studio Custom body and hold it in the air, showing the tight tolerances of the neck joints. Pretty impressive! :)

I get such a kick out of seeing this stuff. My butchery of many a pine wood derby car has me appreciating what a skilled craftsman can do. Too cool.

Then 21 should be on its (nicely carved) heels. In Mystery Finish, no less!

Black binding. Hmmm. On solid white perhaps? Cool.

Sorry I was referring to the 0020 standard theme that RichRS6 mentioned, who is actually Shishkov 0013 I think.

Mitch - you are the only person who would qualify for a guitar entirely made of binding.

Note that it will weigh around 20 LBS and likely be highly flammable! :-)

So, clearly you can't play your hottest licks on that guitar!

Archived