Hamer Fan Club Message Center

'Underwound' Pickups: Anybody here use them? And why?

crunchee

Question

6 answers to this question

I have used them in the neck position to help the neck not get muddy and to balance out better with a "normal" bridge.

It's all relative. In most modern pickup sets, the neck pickup is underwound in comparison to the bridge pickup. So in that sense, I used underwound pickups in all my guitars.

-

Austin

Underwound preferred here. I find them very articulate both clean and crunchy or distorted. They nicely growl and rock out. It could be kind of a vintage thingy with them since hot pickups weren't common if available before the end of the 70s I think.

As it has been said, it's all relative. Underwound possibly means underwound in a certain pickup class. Or are we generally talking anything below < 7.5k resistance (PAF) for humbuckers and < 3.5k for single coils? P90s somewhere in between.

I like humbuckers that would be considered lower output. I think it yields more of the sound of the guitar than the pickup (as compared to higher output pickups). Hollow and semi-hollow bodied guitars seem to really demonstrate this best.

I like single coils (specifically, Strat pickups) with slightly higher than typical output as I think the higher winds tend to attenuate high frequencies. Humbuckers tend to attenuate highs by their design (realtive to single coils).

Opinion.

I like humbuckers that would be considered lower output. I think it yields more of the sound of the guitar than the pickup (as compared to higher output pickups). Hollow and semi-hollow bodied guitars seem to really demonstrate this best.

I like single coils (specifically, Strat pickups) with slightly higher than typical output as I think the higher winds tend to attenuate high frequencies. Humbuckers tend to attenuate highs by their design (realtive to single coils).

Opinion.

Interesting! My experiences from series wired pickups tell exactly the same. Sound not just gets hotter but also tighter with any other pickup dialed in.

Archived