Hamer Fan Club Message Center

#0016, aka "Velvis" has arrived!

BadgerDave

This had been brought by aliens rather than storks.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's just PERFECT, Dave!

Worth the wait, for sure!

To: #0016

"Can I Be Your Friend?"

Hamerica

That is just beautiful. Tone report please!

Hamerica

Thanks for all of the kind words, guys.

The guitar exceeds my very high expectations. Mike scored a 10 on every aspect of the build, from color to set-up and a couple of little tweaks that we discussed. He's a mind-reader and an artist.

The shape feels slightly smaller, and therefore, more ergonomic than other similar shapes I've played. I think a lot of players who didn't get along with other brands may be surprised by how comfortable and manageable these guitars are.

Answers to questions:

The headstock is black w/ binding. Just personal preference, but I thought matching the body would be a hair over the line on a purple guitar.

My original order was trans red with a flame maple top. I sent Mike a photo of a double stained Grosh in the shade of red I wanted and asked about purple as an afterthought. The light went on, Mike sent a stain sample and a photo of a ridiculous quilt maple billet. At that point, there was no going back.

As far as I know, the finish is called transparent purple, but I think "Velvet Elvis" would be appropriate. I like that better than "Barney".

I spent about 3 hours playing it last night. Still grinning. I will not be changing the pickups in this guitar! There is an outstanding balance of bark and clarity in the bridge pickup that I really like. I don't play complex chords, but I do remember a few from my old jazz band days. I tossed in a few 9ths and demented 6ths with a good amount of gain and could clearly hear each note. The neck pickup, with some drive and the tone backed off a notch, is Santana in a suit.

I couldn't be happier.

It's really stunning what one man can build, and another can paint.

Mike & Gary.

It's all you really need....really.

Every one of these has been stunning, breathtaking, (I could go on and on).

The shape feels slightly smaller, and therefore, more ergonomic than other similar shapes I've played.

Interesting, Dave. I was wondering about that. Are the Ultimates appreciably smaller than Explorers, et al? Maybe 5%?

I would have loved to have seen the trans red finish but I think you and Mike nailed it. Just stunning. Congrats and enjoy! How the hell do you pick a finish after seeing all these incredible tops. Mike, your just making it harder if not impossible to just buy just one but please keep it up. There has not been a finish yet that hasn't made most if not all of us envious and maybe even drool a little.

"Velvis".

I like it!

I think Dave O. nailed my thoughts and impressions of the 3 Shishkov Ultimates I've played. He really is hitting the ball out of the park with these, and I know people probably get tired of hearing me say this, but once you see and play yours for the first time, a wait of twice as long would STILL be worth it!

P5050019.JPG

I sense a theme.....

1044828708269_Purple_AC_a1_zpsr6kyaj9g.j

Is the Ultimate more purpler?

That Artist Custom was the first custom order ever, for me. So, yes, a definite theme. I think the AC is an exceptional guitar, but a purple finish benefits from double staining.

"Velvis".

I like it!

Topic title fixed

I completely F'ed up on this. My wife - whose favorite color is purple - would have totally forgiven me for bringing one like that home. Once again asleep at the wheel. Dammit.

I'm really diggin' that, Dave. The top is insane.

All those "play it like you stole it" guys should really consider that these guitars look soooo good that they deserve to be loved and cherished as well as played hard.

The first ding on any of these is going to be heartbreaking.

All those "play it like you stole it" guys should really consider that these guitars look soooo good that they deserve to be loved and cherished as well as played hard.

The first ding on any of these is going to be heartbreaking.

I'm actually looking forward to the first bruise, the "gateway ding", if you will. Makes the next ones MUCH less heinous.

I do those "gateway dings" for free.

Just ask Elduave...

:ph34r:

Archived