Hamer Fan Club Message Center

ohh Junior!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Greg. I know its been talked about briefly before but can you tell me why the Gibson tail piece is so much more slanted and it still intonates fairly well and the Hamer is so much straighter.

Intonation is for pussies. Intonate an old Martin some time.

Actually, on that day, I had just strung up the Hamer with a new Pigtail but not set it up, it usually has more angle on it. In the 50's, the guitars had much heavier strings, and they needed the greater angle. I actually run mine back a bit since I get all happy and shit on stage and pull the bass strings sharp as I play. Adding angle helps them stay in tune.

:angry:

i agree with Greg intonation is for pussies that cant ebnd the string enough to compensate haha.... nice score dood...... grats

Sir Douglas :angry:

Randy :angry:

Intonation is for pussies. Intonate an old Martin some time.

Actually, on that day, I had just strung up the Hamer with a new Pigtail but not set it up, it usually has more angle on it. In the 50's, the guitars had much heavier strings, and they needed the greater angle. I actually run mine back a bit since I get all happy and shit on stage and pull the bass strings sharp as I play. Adding angle helps them stay in tune.

AN OLD MARTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know you don't mean it,(do you?)lol.

martin.

yeah, the baddass is a concern, I'm hoping the studs are the same size as the originals or I guess it stays ( works great, the thing is in perfect intonation via the strobe now ) and the headstock is a mess, no nothing, stripped the black off the overlay, looks weird, like Claptons old Fool SG, Gibbys w/o any logos or blk venner look weird, and it has Grovers, I'm sure they've been drilled out so I'm not sure strip tuners are an option right now, thinking of some Kluson's for a more vintage look and feel ( Grovers on a Jr, not good LOL ). I'm blown away by the piece of Mahogany on this body, and the braz fretboard is amazing, 2 big black streaks all the way down!

Nice one, Bill.

Confirming the year of manufacture is relatively easy and accurate within a few months. If the neck is HUGE it's 58-59, maybe very early '60, smaller means '60.

Greg will correct me if I'm off on this, but I beleive '58 was the first year for the double cutaway and in '61 they switched to the SG body shape.

Under $500 is criminal for that guitar, even with the refin and changed bridge. I'm seeing 8.5/10 '59 Jrs. offered for $7K! Not sure if any are selling at that price, but asking prices have jumped a couple grand over the last year.

I'm holding on to mine, they're great guitars.

1107365332847_59_LP_Jr_in_case.jpg

Some guys have all the luck. Way to go, Bill! You'll be wailin' on that one.

Looks good as is, even though the head goes unseen. Maybe you should just respray the headstock face in black and get a repro decal, then seal it in with clear.

VOILA!

Anyways, great catch at a greater price.

Confirming the year of manufacture is relatively easy and accurate within a few months. If the neck is HUGE it's 58-59, maybe very early '60, smaller means '60.

Gotcha. This is probably a Stupid Question, but with the headstock stripped etc, how can you even be sure it's really a Gibson in order to begin assessing age based on neck size etc.

Not questioning this specific piece, just looking for a little edumacation.

Construction details would show whether it is the real deal or not. It isn't likely to be a forgery, because even now, taking those kinds of pains to repro a Jr. wouldn't be worth the effort. Hell, the original 50s cases alone are selling for $500 and up!

I'm confident that that is legit and an unbelievable score.

Nice shootin', Tex.

Archived