Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Gibson being sold at Costco

pesocaster

Wal-Mart has First Act guitars and Target also has guitars, also First Act, if my memory serves me. I haven't checked Lowes or Home Depot yet, I'm afraid of what I might find! :D

Does it really matter where you buy it as long as the quality is there. Ive played long enough to know shit when I play it, I dont need a salesperson trying to tell me something I probably know more than him about.

http://www.hamfatter.com/site/looky/controlpanel.html

check out the music store skit...it says it all. :D

Does it really matter where you buy it as long as the quality is there. Ive played long enough to know shit when I play it, I dont need a salesperson trying to tell me something I probably know more than him about.

It does matter. Try to find top quality at Lowe's or Home Depot. Earlier this year I read a report about Wal-Mart finding itself associated with low quality. Imagine that. Big chain stores are looking at a bottom line. Customer satisfaction is related to "how satisfied is the customer who bought crap and should not expect anything but crap."

Wal-Mart tells its suppliers what price range a product must have. It is up to suppliers to meet Wal-Mart's prices, not for Wal-Mart to market the manufacturers' products at the price they need to stay in business. That has helped to move some manufacturing to China. Mossberg makes shotguns, and you can buy one at Wal-Mart or your local sporting goods specialty store. The "same" Mossberg shotgun has a serial number (or model number?) with a "W" added to it for sale at Wal-Mart. You save $20 - $30. There are plastic parts in the Wal-Mart model, and metal parts in the gun shop model. One lasts longer than the other. It costs more than $20 - $30 to convert the plastic parts to metal parts.

Think about buying guitars in the future with big chain stores in control of what can and will be sold. If you want a good guitar, will it be good within the context of what the store sells, or good like we expect them to be now? Wherever costs are cut now to make cheap guitars, they will be cut to make expensive guitars. High end guitars do not sell very fast. They will become special order only, so you can forget trying one out.

In the end, you are going to have to travel farther to find a small independent music store. They will not be as common in smaller towns.

To quote what I read on another site, "Have you ever seen a Wal-Mart bicycle mechanic?" That question came from someone who sold bicycles for serious cyclists. To paraphrase, "Have you ever seen a Costco guitar tech?"

Just how good were Sears' Silvertones anyway? Why did they not get into higher quality instruments?

Archived