Hamer Fan Club Message Center

John Lennon's Gibson J-160E to be auctioned

How many guitars can really be identified with any of The Beatles? They may have had a lot, but they were not known as big collectors. One would have to be a big fan to spend that kind of money, but should something like that not be a keeper?

How many guitars can really be identified with any of The Beatles? They may have had a lot, but they were not known as big collectors. One would have to be a big fan to spend that kind of money, but should something like that not be a keeper?

Here are the ones that immediately come to my mind:

cleanlooking.jpg

So, what's the statute of limitations for finding stolen goods? B):ph34r: And is there a reward for it's return to the JL estate?

Hey, that’s RIGHT! He and Harrison had matching J160es and one got stolen. They shared the remaining one which later was boogered by Lennon during his “do-a-buncha-drugs, scrape-off-the-finish” phase of his life.

So, what's the statute of limitations for finding stolen goods? B):ph34r: And is there a reward for it's return to the JL estate?

Hey, that’s RIGHT! He and Harrison had matching J160es and one got stolen. They shared the remaining one which later was boogered by Lennon during his “do-a-buncha-drugs, scrape-off-the-finish” phase of his life.

Actually, Lennon bought another, slightly later make J-160E to replace the stolen one--you can tell the difference as it has a double-lined 'rosette' around the soundhole instead of a single-lined one...so technically, there's three J-160Es that The Beatles used. More historical info here:

http://www.guitarplayer.com/acoustics/1034/john-lennons-lost-gibson-j-160e-may-become-biggest-auction-hit-of-all-time/52475

Yes, more facts I conveniently glossed over for the sake of replying to a post. I really need to get a life... <_<

Here’s my J160e. I looked around for a while before purchasing this one because it wasn’t constructed like the originals. Ironic, as it has a Gibson “Historic” decal on the back of the headstock:

Solid spruce top, X-braced, unlike the laminated, ladder-braced originals.

Bone saddle, unlike the adjustable ceramic saddle on the originals. I added John Pearce bone string pins.

Installed a b-Band bridge transducer and a stereo output, same concept as a Duotone. I use John Pearce .011s

Built like a tank, very sturdy guitar. I don’t have to baby this thing.

post-1188-0-59197100-1438205552_thumb.jp

• 3 months later...

Lennon wrote many Beatles tunes, and played many on his J160. Like KR, he was a huge believer in tracking with an acoustic. In fact, I read last night in the Beatles gear book that he tracked "I Feel Fine" on his acoustic....feedback and all......

A drumhead fetched almost as much as Lennon's guitar:

the-beatles-drum-head.jpg

One of seven known bass drum heads with the famous The Beatles logo sold at this auction. It's the head used when they played the Ed Sullivan show. It sold for $2.1M.

.... Like KR, he was a huge believer in tracking with an acoustic. .......

I didn't even know Kenny Rogers played guitar.

Of course he does. :lol:

soul-artist-rogers.jpg

BTW, I never realized how much The Beatles relied on acoustic guitar to make their overall sound until I started listening to them again on an upgraded stereo. You really hear it on the UK version of the "Hard Day's Night" album.

Archived