Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Ultimate Shape

elduave

Once, there was only the Explorer. That was the right shape. Then came the Standard. Eventually, that became the shape. Now, the Ultimate. Subtly different has become right. I saw a pic of a 93 Explorer the other day and it looked wrong.

It would be awesome to see them all side-by-side. I know the differences should hit me in the face, but they don't, really. A side-by-side would probably be quite an eye-opener.

I can't get over how "wrong" the Gibson Explorers look to me anymore. Kinda like the arrow in the FedEx logo, once you spot it, you'll never unsee it.

No Gibbers here. Ever. Except an Explorer 90 the 90% size one.

-_-^_^B)

On the comparison shot. i already had a threesome in my head, Vintage, Modern Vintage, and New Vintage and now perhaps multiple brands. :ph34r:

From this past Friday nigt's gig. My top two Explorer-shapes (my blueburst 78 Standard isn't shabby either):

image_zpsmlzieg54.jpg

CM actually explained it to me simply, and it made total sense. In my words, on the Ultimate, the part that sits closest to your belly button is "steeper," on the neck side, and the "waist" is a bit narrower than a Standard.

Edited to add, the Gibson Explorer now look like Futura-ish to me, which you can hopefully see in Steve's pic above.

It's funny you say that, Dave. I did a Google search hoping to find them paired up and the Gibson sure enough looked Futura-ish to me , too.

Chris's pictures really show how svelte the Ultimate looks next to the Standard. I never woulda guessed it.

I can't get over how "wrong" the Gibson Explorers look to me anymore. Kinda like the arrow in the FedEx logo, once you spot it, you'll never unsee it.

They've been hideously wrong since they introduced the "76 Explorer" so-called "reissue" in the late 80s which is a horrific mess. This was the last good one-an '82 from the 76-82 Explorers which were in my experience, damned good guitars and they still looked great.

image_zpsp9suvfu6.jpg

They've been hideously wrong since they introduced the "76 Explorer" so-called "reissue" in the late 80s which is a horrific mess. This was the last good one-an '82 from the 76-82 Explorers which were in my experience, damned good guitars and they still looked great.

image_zpsp9suvfu6.jpg

Yeah, that's just wrong. LOL! Funny, I don't get the same vibe from the E2 CMT. I'd like to add that to the side by side mural.

The '89-present "76 Reissue" shape = Garbage

76explorer.jpg

As far as the ultimate headstock, I borrowed this pic from the 22 thread. A nice nod to the early Standards. And I am not talking about the serial number stamp.

P1000383_zpsar5hlvnn.jpg

Almost like the Native American artists that put an imperfection in the piece. It may appear wrong to others but it is a nuance that makes it what it is. Mr. Shishkov is a master.

As far as the ultimate headstock, I borrowed this pic from the 22 thread. A nice nod to the early Standards. And I am not talking about the serial number stamp.

P1000383_zpsar5hlvnn.jpg

Almost like the Native American artists that put an imperfection in the piece. It may appear wrong to others but it is a nuance that makes it what it is. Mr. Shishkov is a master.

Nuance is what makes the Ultimate shape look so natural. It is very familiar, but the smaller shape and the reshaped upper bout lends to an original take on a classic. Very glad Mike went with the smaller headstock. It really compliments the shape of the guitar.

post-1188-0-47690100-1442980664_thumb.jp

I'm still trying to train myself to handle the shape ergonomically. Visually it's a stunner but I feel like I'm playing a ladder. How long did it take you other Explorer/Standard/Ultimate owners to adjust to big-n-pointy after a lifetime playing "normal" instruments?

Archived