Hamer Fan Club Message Center

2016 challenge

JimiH

Think I'll buckle down and finally try to learn this one. Have the rhythm stuff about 80%, but never really tried to figure out the solo. Sure I'm in for a world of pain :D

Wish me luck!

-

Austin

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think I'll buckle down and finally try to learn this one. Have the rhythm stuff about 80%, but never really tried to figure out the solo. Sure I'm in for a world of pain :D

Wish me luck!

-

Austin

Goddamn that auto tune.

3 nights, 3 hours of practice total.

I've made some progress.

Aside from the musical progress, I also now have a blister on my little finger. Maybe I'll get a blister on my thumb?

I'm in. Haven't decided on which song but I know there's bound to be a few I'd love to tackle.

I'm definitely playing.

I haven't had a proper play since the arrival of the (at the time) newest HFC member, our baby CC in March last year.

This is just what I was looking for to get me back at it.

I'm going to pick something by the Shadows, and play it on a very-metal guitar and try to get a Shads tone :)

I think; Atlantis

or Wonderful Land

I am still thinking. Dreamers Ball by Queen is one idea. I started this some time ago and never finished. Other ideas are a talking heads or something by the RHCP. Hmmmm.....

Always have wanted to learn the keyboard solo in this Utopia tune, which up until about 7 years ago, I thought was a badass fuzzed out guitar solo.

Ugh. Gonna take a guitar swing at this.

In the last year or two, the only guitar stuff I tried to learn were the song and lead breaks in Priest's "Riding on the Wind." I had a friggin blast doing it and learned a bunch from it, so I'll try something a little less speedy, (since i am NOT a speed guy.)

Preist was always my hugest influence, but I was floored with the phrasing and seat-of your-pants vibe, when I started listening to Ty Tabor, so I'm gonna try something I hope is manageable-- the lead in a live version of "Power of Love." Different than the studio version (I like the updated approach to the vocal way better than the original as well.)

https://youtu.be/_fGxRW1TY_0?t=2m6s

He tends to usually improvise around themes of the original solos, which I respect immensely-- and there's a ton of tasty licks to steal in this little bit, and it's cleanly played and it's gonna be harder than I think to really pull it off with any kind of control. Looking forward to pulling some hair out over it, lol. and fumbling through the fast little run at the end :)

Really looking forward to hearing what everyone does!

Crap. I guess I'm in too.

I've been thinking about Eat 'Em And Smile lately. That album came out when I was 14 and barely graduating from pentatonic boxes. I didn't understand what the hell Vai was even playing most of the time, but I knew it was crazy awesome. Unfortunately, there was not a single teacher in my town that could explain Vai's approach. So it was me and various guitar magazines....and a rewind button. By the time I was 18 and developing some modest chops, I was on to different albums. Revisting that album, I can't believe what damn monster lurks beneath DLR's antics.

Do note for note solos count? Cuz if they do, I'm probably setting my self up for failure. :wacko:

I'd love to try Big Trouble or Ladies Night In Buffalo. But parts of those solos are unassailable for someone with atrophied skills and concentration. I think I can try Yankee Rose....it's got minimal wackiness from Mr. Vai....hmmmmmm.....

I've been thinking about Eat 'Em And Smile lately. That album came out when I was 14 and barely graduating from pentatonic boxes. I didn't understand what the hell Vai was even playing most of the time, but I knew it was crazy awesome. Unfortunately, there was not a single teacher in my town that could explain Vai's approach. So it was me and various guitar magazines....and a rewind button. By the time I was 18 and developing some modest chops, I was on to different albums. Revisting that album, I can't believe what damn monster lurks beneath DLR's antics.

Do note for note solos count? Cuz if they do, I'm probably setting my self up for failure. :wacko:

I'd love to try Big Trouble or Ladies Night In Buffalo. But parts of those solos are unassailable for someone with atrophied skills and concentration. I think I can try Yankee Rose....it's got minimal wackiness from Mr. Vai....hmmmmmm.....

Yankee Rose would be cool.....I am old-school so the only one I learned properly off that album was Tobacco Road!

Two things:

For guitar,

And since we bought a weighted-key electric piano for all the little Toadrollers this Christmas, I've been tackling this twenty minutes at a time armed with only the sheet music and knowledge of which piano key is which note. I hope to achieve similar skill levels:

http://youtu.be/rb9UfGNuiSU

Of course 😀

Bands I was in back then played Ladies' Night. If I could play it, you could play it.

Archived