Hamer Fan Club Message Center

News From The Bench

1 hour ago, BubbaVO said:

...  in the darkened halls of madison square bedroom... with the smell and faint cloud from dry ice wafting in from the bathtub ... the Hellion!

Hey, we did that tune back in the day!

https://youtu.be/NimYz6B4Iow

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DBraz said:

Uh oh. 😬

69789D36-51FF-4BCE-B83F-909B012141A8.jpeg

1D3C4FF2-5804-4B96-B0DF-99E48C3941B8.jpeg

Only causes cancer if you eat them.

• Haha 1

On 4/21/2020 at 5:25 PM, diablo175 said:

Hey, we did that tune back in the day!

https://youtu.be/NimYz6B4Iow

Awesome!

Rockin' I/2 stacks and Christmas trees too! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RacerX said:

Awesome!

Rockin' I/2 stacks and Christmas trees too! 

😆

I ranted about this venue owner in here, years ago. She was a major PITA. Case in point- she would NOT let us move the tree off the friggin' stage. Pleaded with her for the extra space it would have given us to move it just off the the side of stage but she was adamant. That's the kind of PITA she was.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait to see that illuminated boomer board installed.  Stunning and very Jim-like.

In a related bench note, this road worn Centaura is back in the lineup thanks to NEWMAN 60 setting me up with a NOS Hamer-stamped Floyd (he even slipped me a factory hang tag). This one has been relic'ed the old fashioned way. 

20200430_182618.jpg.7db5b89de9adacb99fd2dddf299c6282.jpg.jpeg

• Like 3

I’ve endured my fair share of shots across the bow from folks that don’t subscribe to my perspective of modifying and upgrading vintage guitars. However, I am sure that when I hang it up and start selling off these lovely modified Hamers, the good (brand) name of Hamer will be carried on for years to come.
That said, Shane has done marvelous work on this maple neck from a O’Connor marble Cali!. The fretboard is cleaned up, leveled, and eventually new stainless Jescar jumbo frets will be added along with the Gravelin pick ups and the new Schaller Floyd I will add, this ax should keep on rockin’ well past my time of abusing it. 

image.jpeg

Edited by diablo175
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, diablo175 said:

However, I am sure that when I hang it up and start selling off these lovely modified Hamers, the good (brand) name of Hamer will be carried on for years to come.

How do you figure when the carcasses of said Hamers are the only parts that are original to the guitars?

Edited by RobB

14 minutes ago, RobB said:

How do you figure when the carcasses of said Hamers are the only parts that are original to the guitars?

Carcasses? 😆

Because 20 years from now, folks aren't likely gonna care that a guitar was revamped and arguably improved, it's life extended. Hell, I've found plenty of folks already who don't give a hang about a few mods. They know the important parts that were actually crafted by Hamer artisans, are still intact.

4 minutes ago, RobB said:

Sorry, my bad. I meant, "husks."

And you'd still be wrong. 😆

12 hours ago, RobB said:

Aw, c'mon Rob. Most of those Calis have the original bones (neck and body). Pickup and bridge/vibrato upgrades and/or new paint or frets don't un-Hamer them. Now, as for the one(s) that got replacement neck(s) not made by Hamer (I guess to replace a neck with a non-reverse headstock), your argument gains merit at that point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz Prof said:

Aw, c'mon Rob. Most of those Calis have the original bones (neck and body). Pickup and bridge/vibrato upgrades and/or new paint or frets don't un-Hamer them. Now, as for the one(s) that got replacement neck(s) not made by Hamer (I guess to replace a neck with a non-reverse headstock), your argument gains merit at that point. 

My adding replacement necks ventured beyond a mere superficial desire for aesthetic changes. Not to diminish the quality and function of Hamer necks but the HEL-made neck on the pink crackle Cali was, for my purposes, superior to anything Hamer made, by virtue of having specs unavailable on Hamers. Compound radius, stainless true 'jumbo' frets, slightly different (between a C and D) carve and a greatly preferred satin finish. Certainly, the aesthetics of the tumbling boomers and the unique material they were made with also add merit to having it made.

Ironically, all my Hamers with replacement necks have been sold off. The folks that acquired them have been thrilled with these guitars, as I was. I have zero regrets in creating those and little to no regret in selling them off to make room for or pay for others incoming. The 3 Hamers I've acquired in the last 5 months are all going to keep the vast majority of their parts. Sure, trems will be/have been replaced and in the case of the above maple boarded neck, work HAD to be done to correct substantial issues with board level, warping and worn frets. In the process, why not get it tweaked to align more with my preferences? Win-win.

Edited by diablo175
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, scottcald said:

Good times!

I'm counting on it!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, HAMERMAN said:

Oh my that is beautiful!

I'm inclined to agree. Love the subtle quilted figuring showing through. I am thrilled Stike was able to bring to life the concept I had in mind.

• Like 2