Hamer Fan Club Message Center

News From The Bench

30 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

IMG_3286.jpeg

The more I look at this picture, the more I get this crazy idea for a Phantom Jr...  🤔🤔🤔

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Those inlays are a little over the top, are they not? 

Good!

I need any and every option/tactic to distract from my awful playing.  :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

Hey Jim, have you tried a light scalloped neck?

Yup. Didn't appeal to me. But that may be old(er) age and my aversion to change in play-  :P

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

Hey Jim, have you tried a light scalloped neck?

I think the other issue is that you can always move to smaller frets if I'm not mistaken (assuming fret tang is the same size) but once you scallop, that's it. No going back to non-scalloped.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, diablo175 said:

I think the other issue is that you can always move to smaller frets if I'm not mistaken (assuming fret tang is the same size) but once you scallop, that's it. No going back to non-scalloped.

"IF" you only had one guitar... and we both know you have many to choose from 😉

I look at it as having one guitar with a shorter scale and another with a longer scale, one with active pickups etc. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, scottcald said:

I thought for @diablo175 they looked restrained to on par.  

What are you calling this one, the Phantofornian?  

Califantom  :P 

Actually, I'm calling it a Specter

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Latest Hamer acquisition is getting an upgrade -Schaller Lockmeister Floyd with 38mm short string screws and fat brass block, new studs and posts, Gravelin Pickups Double Slug Mongoose in the bridge, a Fixit EZ 500K kill switch/tone pot, noiseless, coated HD springs.
Depending on a few factors, it may get a new set of jumbo stainless Jescars. At the very least, it'll get the neck back scuffed up with 0000 steel wool or 1200 grit sand paper for a more satin-y feel. Mmm.

Diablo.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, slingblader said:

Cool project. Out of curiosity, where did you source the Lockmeister? I've looked for these in the past but couldn't seem to get my hands on one. 

Can't recall precisely, honestly. Online from somewhere. Likely Reverb. I do know that in the last year , Floyds and Lockmeisters have been exceedingly hard to find because of the pandemic- production in Germany and distribution stateside were impacted and there was an increase in guitars and components being bought due to folks being locked down?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

C'mon man....

C'mon what?  I don't have a shot of the whole guitar with lights and strings and everything. It'll be here by Friday or Saturday. You can wait until then. Just like me. ;)

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

C'mon what?  I don't have a shot of the whole guitar with lights and strings and everything. It'll be here by Friday or Saturday. You can wait until then. Just like me. ;)

Well, damn....OK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

While awaiting completion and delivery of my HEL Spitfire 2, I've decided to introduce yet one more variation from the original Spitfire (aside from headstock style and body wood). Duly impressed with how a stock TB-4 in my Charvel sounds, I decided on a Gravelin pick up different from the double slug Mongoose in SF1. I wanted something with a little more of the JB honk and snarl, while retaining some of the fuller tonal characteristics that the Mongoose offers over a JB. As per usual, Josh delivered in epic fashion!

In our discussions about specs, we determined that the alder body of the Spitfire 1 might also benefit more from the Mongoose T we were spec-ing up. So, I threw it in Spitfire 1. Glad I did!  Game changer as it is an effective workaround to the alder body’s tendency to tame certain frequencies and emphasize mids.

And just to confuse things a bit more, the double slug variant I pulled out of Spitfire 1 will go into the Spitfire 2. The thinking being that the DS Mongoose will work better with the 'hog body of SF 2 as is the case with my recent HEL Specter. The DS in that ax is absolutely crushing but retains a little more treble.

Mong T.jpg

Spit T.jpg

Edited by diablo175
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, RobB said:

Is that ^^^^ the Spitfire 1? I'm confused; must be all the bright colors.

Is the 2 similar to the first one?

No, you’re just getting old  ;)

Yes, that is Spitfire 1 shown above.

Yes, Spitfire 2 is similar; the same style of guitar (dinky) with several variations.

Edited by diablo175

Technically not on/from my bench but definitely a build for based on specs from me.

Spitfire 2 is days away from paint!!!

Spitty 2.jpg

Edited by diablo175
  • Like 3