Hamer Fan Club Message Center

News From The Bench

Several projects occurring simultaneously on the ol' work bench-

The Schaller Lock Meister arrived over a week or so ago but the shorter string lock screws took a little longer to get hear from Russia. Well, they're here now and the LM w/ 38 mm screws goes on the C3 tonight! Fingers crossed that it all fits and enhances the trem performance. If the LM turns out to be a superior option, I'll likely be replacing the trems on several other Calis as well.

The new tuners and toggle switch for the Kurtsstuff Cali project (which I'll call: The Kraken) have arrived. I've separated the neck from the body and am preparing to take out the EMGs. The replacement all maple neck with requisite reversed head stock is a week or two away from completion. I found a black stadium-sized Hamer water slide decal that is en route to the builder of the neck.

The next issues to address are the p'ups and the paint for the Kraken Cali . I haven't decided whether to go with the original plan of a crackle paint scheme plan or not but the p'ups are gonna be SD Perpetual Burn (B) and a HotRails (N). Those get ordered next week.

Last in the work queue will be new stainless steel frets for the Melon Cali. I've been struggling with some tuning issues and fretting issues on it and I've been wanting some new SS frets anyway. It just got a new 250K pot and is sounding better, Now it's time to have it be complete. New frets, new trem and a new pot. Mmmm.

• Like 3

Hopefully, it wasn't one of those gawdawful eBay Hamer logo waterslides!

There are still places out there that have the correct size Letraset "Bookman Bold Italic" for the Stadium font in black. That might look a lot better than a waterslide, and would certainly be crisper.

Hopefully, it wasn't one of those gawdawful eBay Hamer logo waterslides!

There are still places out there that have the correct size Letraset "Bookman Bold Italic" for the Stadium font in black. That might look a lot better than a waterslide, and would certainly be crisper.

Matter of fact, it was one of those gawdawful eBay decals. :P:( Not much I can do about it now but if you know if one of these elusive purveyors of fine Letraset, I'd sure be willing to hear about them. There's a distinct possibility that I may do a 2nd neck replacement project and a proper stadium logo would be the ticket.

What I didn't like about them was that the edges are soft and rounded v. the originals, and some are either elongated/distorted or too squat looking...plus waterslides give a different look when finished, and I'm a stickler/perfectionist about that crap! :D

• Like 2

The replacement neck building proceeds apace according to my source- VERY excited to get a look at this beauty. All maple with black boomers, an oil finish and an authentic-looking, black, stadium sized Hamer logo dry transfer on a clear head stock. RAWK!

Special thanks to Dbraz for the vector art and the referral to the dry transfer provider.

Photos when they become available.

• Like 3

I think you'll be MUCH happier with that v. the decal route.

If I'd have known you wanted a black one Jim I have a whole sheet of them...

<facepalm> No worries, I'm guessing they got to the builder a whole lot faster this way. Now, if anyone else wants a black stadium logo dry transfer, I have a few I can spare. :P

Latest neck pic. I assume the neck radius is 14.5" but I need to know the profile thickness (at nut and 12th presumably) of the '89 Cali Limited Edition! Anyone who has an LE, if you could take a quick measurement, I'd be very grateful!

12508845_10208262349466956_6057618485916

• Like 1

0.865" @ 12th fret 22 mm

0.8" @ nut 20.3 mm

I broke down and bought a set of calipers myself and got VERY similar measurements. .86" at the 12th and .79" at the nut. All the same, thank you! I am most grateful, Bobby!

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, DBraz said:

Awesome!

Yeah, but would have been better with black frets.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The screws have arrived!

The Python Cali and this Kraken project will be getting a shiny new LockMeister complete with short (38 mm) string screws. Dr. Lars Bünning at Schaller hooked me UP! Vielen dank, guter Herr!

schaller.jpg

• Like 1