Hamer Fan Club Message Center

News From The Bench

1 minute ago, Steve Haynie said:

The flame looks like it is carefully carved into the top!

Caramel quilt. Or is it quilted caramel?

Edited by diablo175

4 minutes ago, mrjamiam said:

One of your dots is off-center.

Not just one...

On 4/24/2017 at 9:10 AM, diablo175 said:

Countdown to the Swirled Cali arriving has begun. Once it arrives, it'll get all it's guts back but with a new Gravelin Mongoose in the bridge and a LockMeister for the bridge. Am VERY excited to hear how this Mongoose is gonna sound in the newly painted Cali.

For the HFCer who inquired about ballpark cost for new paint, a very decent swirl including the matching head stock, correct Hamer logo and shipping is $540

I like the way it turned out!  I have a couple that came to me with dinged-up finishes, more than I like to see, but less than enough to say "MOJO!" if you know what I mean.  I wouldn't do my Cali in the swirl after you've done yours, but I kind of like the idea of the otherwise-staid MONELM getting that treatment.  Did the serial number get obliterated?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mrjamiam said:

I like the way it turned out!  I have a couple that came to me with dinged-up finishes, more than I like to see, but less than enough to say "MOJO!" if you know what I mean.  I wouldn't do my Cali in the swirl after you've done yours, but I kind of like the idea of the otherwise-staid MONELM getting that treatment.  Did the serial number get obliterated?

Nope. It's still presumably stamped on the back of the head stock ;)

7 hours ago, scottcald said:

What makes you choose an OFR on one and a Schaller for another - just the routing?

Availability. :lol:

Some might take comfort in the fact that my mad scientist mods are not limited to just Hamers...the latest occurred on my Charvel DK24, with a swapped-in D-Activator in place of the Super D, a disconnected single coil and a toggle 3 way in place of tone pot. Just can't settle for less than optimal... or maybe it's: can't seem to leave well enough alone. :lol: 

IMG_2882.jpg

5 hours ago, DBraz said:

^^  Jim there's no stopping you! :)

Well, not entirely true. I have forgone refinishing two rare-ish Cali candidates in an effort to spare/preserve their authentic vintage status.  :lol: However, in this case, it is neither vintage, nor is it anywhere near as badass as a Cali. 

It is, IMO good enough to keep (fantastic pro mod style oiled neck and nice chunky jumbo frets) and to mod for better suiting my needs. In that regard, it was a success. Sounds and plays fantastic and the toggle is a significant improvement over the blade in terms of switching between p'ups efficiently and quickly.

Edited by diablo175

The modding proceeds apace. Gatorbyte's former bastard Cali has now been fully brought over to the dark side. The trem was replaced a while ago with a superior LockMeister and brass big block. The single coil neck p'up, which Gatorbyte admits was just an old Strat p'ups used to fill the cavity, has been replaced by the infinitely superior Hot Rails. Arguably the neatest most hassle-free install I've encountered re: those neck p'ups. Hamer had used several methods to mount them, depending on which model and p'up, The Hot Rails always posed something of a challenge to fit in the cavity and the mounting systems could lead to earnest drinking if it didn't readily accept the HR bolts.

Lastly, while switching p'ups, I naturally decided to tear out the 3 way blade and replace it with the... oh f*ck it, you know what I did. And it's gold. Looks and works fantastic!! All said and done, the surgery was a smashing success and I even addressed a nagging ground hum issue as well. Tonight I try and divine a means of cleverly disguising the remaining slot and screw hole of the now decommissioned blade switch. I'm leaning towards some putty and a little metal flake nail polish. @Stike- do you know if the acrylic in nail polish would react poorly next to the finish?

Photos of the mod work tonight!

This will have to tide you over until then:

Liberace Cali.jpg

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

The modding proceeds apace. Gatorbyte's former bastard Cali has now been fully brought over to the dark side. The trem was replaced a while ago with a superior LockMeister and brass big block. The single coil neck p'up, which Gatorbyte admits was just an old Strat p'ups used to fill the cavity, has been replaced by the infinitely superior Hot Rails. Arguably the neatest most hassle-free install I've encountered re: those neck p'ups. Hamer had used several methods to mount them, depending on which model and p'up, The Hot Rails always posed something of a challenge to fit in the cavity and the mounting systems could lead to earnest drinking if it didn't readily accept the HR bolts.

Lastly, while switching p'ups, I naturally decided to tear out the 3 way blade and replace it with the... oh f*ck it, you know what I did. And it's gold. Looks and works fantastic!! All said and done, the surgery was a smashing success and I even addressed a nagging ground hum issue as well. Tonight I try and divine a means of cleverly disguising the remaining slot and screw hole of the now decommissioned blade switch. I'm leaning towards some putty and a little metal flake nail polish. @Stike- do you know if the acrylic in nail polish would react poorly next to the finish?

Photos of the mod work tonight!

This will have to tide you over until then:

Liberace Cali.jpg

Probably not. Do a test dab in a pickup cavity. 

• Like 1

Newly modded and improved. Soon, a little wood putty and some sparkle nail polish and she'll be good to go!

Liberace Cali.jpg

LIberace Close up.jpg

3 minutes ago, DBraz said:

That glitter finish is absolutely sweet.  On a sunny day it must look awesome! 

Not wanting to seem argumentative but I swear under the fluorescent lights in the basement lab operating room, the metal flake really pops! More so than out in the sun. 

F-ing awesome looking, sounding and playing specimen!  And a bastard Hamer at that. No true pedigree. Amazing!

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 6.09.51 PM.png

• Like 2

8 hours ago, george4th said:

Freakin Amazing, I love this thread and those similar.  Great to see a start to finish project like this.  Makes me want to cut wood again!

Really Really cool Brother!

G

Kudos go to Gatorbyte007 for having the initial vision to put this together. This was his project culled from parts and case plugs. Just so happened to share some of my preferences- unfinished neck, reversed head stock, tumbling boomers and a snazzy finish. I put a few minor signature tweaks on it and voila! Instant fave amongst the bolt-ons in my harem.  :D

More shots of the incoming Burrito2! Meatbomb will rout the pull-up/recess cavity, drill the holes for the pots and enlarge the control cavity for the sustainer motherboard and then presumably, it gets the finish.

Burr2.jpg

Burr2back.jpg

Edited by diablo175
  • Like 6