Hamer Fan Club Message Center

News From The Bench

1 hour ago, scottcald said:

Call and ask them.  It's all done with lasers, so maybe they can oblige you.  :lol:

That would be a "hell no", thanks.  ;)

• Haha 2

• 5 weeks later...

Project: Cent is fully underway. Stainless jumbos installed and the fret board's former pristine beauty has been reclaimed as a result. (is it me or does anyone else almost get wood from seeing virgin-esque maple like this?) The middle p'up cavity is blocked up with a hunk o' alder and the appropriate holes have been added. The tech helping me put this together has all the requisite parts including a new(ish) Schaller, w/ big block, a SD JB-L, a momentary kill switch tone pot and, of course, the Sustainiac system and the Cent is on it's way down to be Stike-ified. This is shaping up to be a killer and versatile stage ax!!!

92E1BC0E-BB0F-4E83-96F9-A381AD8A9C20.jpeg

Edited by diablo175
  • Like 1

So, in the event ya missed it in the other thread-  with a lil' point in the right direction from the HFC's newest resident guitar whisperer, JeffR, I tackled installing some Dimarzios into Kurtsstuff's former sparkling wine :lol: Cali, which is no biggie, in of it self. However, this time I was soldering it up with a dreaded 3 way blade switch, with which I had no experience, given my oft-stated preference for toggle styles.

Happy to report all went well! The patient is sewn back up and plays and sounds great!!! The Crunch Lab and Pro Track sound pretty damned good!

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 1.45.14 PM.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

While the Cent is away for Stike-izing (rumor has it, got some flakes last week?) I've been busy securing more projects (and debt as a result) to Diablo-cize including the Caliablo I scored this weekend. :D  Of equal newsworthiness, I got an estimate from Shane at HEL Guitars for my proposed Charvel-esque Dinky build and it looks as though Shane's the winner.

This build concept was inspired, in part, from my recently acquiring a Charvel Pro Mod DK24 that is as comfy a shredder as I've played in a long time. The neck profile is like that favorite pair of well broken-in blue jeans that just is hard to match. The guitar is really quite nice save for a few nagging issues. Enter the notion to get one built without those issues.  As coincidence has it, I saw Richie Sambora playing a badass looking Charvel or Fender CS (pictured below) at the recent RRHoF inductions ceremony a few weeks back. That's the other part of the inspiration. Loved that reversed Strat head and the maple board. All it needed was 24 frets and a garish 80's paint job and it would've become a holy grail ax. F-  that. I 'll have one built.

So, it's off to finalize specs but it's looking to be an alder Dinky style body, bolt-on, oiled rock maple neck and board, 24 jumbo stainless frets, reversed Strat head, 2 H, toggle, OFR, 1 Vol, 1 Tone/momentary kill switch, and Cali-positioned (butt end) angled jack input. Paint is to be neon magenta and black Cheetah print with a bare head stock.

Sambora Charvel.jpg

Edited by diablo175
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, BubbaVO said:

I get a kick out of watching your ideas become reality. 

A few on here get nauseated watching my ideas come to life so, I'm delighted that you get a kick. :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The HEL DK24 project has officially begun!!! I've spec-ed out my version of Charvel's DK24 Pro Mod HH and have put a deposit down on it's creation. I've sent a drawing of the body, reference photos from multiple angles and the neck from one of my 2 DK's to Shane who's wasted no time getting the ball rolling on his end.  This is very exciting given the home-f*cking-run he hit with the Interceptor/Standard. Have always wanted a reversed Strat head shredder and now it's gonna be joining my harem. Just in time for the final leg of my cover band's 9 year journey!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

You will get noticed with that guitar!

Well, I guess I better learn how to play it, then. 😂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Next up on the project horizon, while I tweak the MOAC, I'm sending my latest Caliablo to the painters for a nice bit of 80's finish- neon crackle! Oh yeah. The Cali Elite(STD?) body that came with the Diablo neck will also be getting a few customary tweaks- enlarged pull-up cavity for OFR bolts, toggle switch hole drilled and the blade switch will be plugged. The key component will be the neck I'm having fashioned. Haven't decided on a builder yet but it will be similar to the one I had built for the HA HA Cali- maple /maple but with colored tumbling boomers. The Diablo neck will likely go on the block as I don't see a need for it in my future.

Cali-Diablo.jpgScreen Shot 2018-07-04 at 5.08.29 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...

The body of the Cali project, now entitled simply, Pinky, is underway in earnest. My builder friend and band mate Meatbomb has plugged, routed and drilled the body for my usual array of hardware and features and it's being sent out for paint today. Meanwhile, I am hunting down a builder to do a highly specialized and unique neck for this build. Details to come. ;)

IMG_6255.jpg

On 7/13/2018 at 3:55 PM, HAMERMAN said:

If you make a guitar called "Pinky" can "The Brain" be far behind? 🙂

We'll see .... ;)