Hamer Fan Club Message Center

News From The Bench

• 4 weeks later...

The Diablo got it's final set of mods today - 800 grit sandpaper to the neck for a more satin-y feel, and a SD Custom Shop neon pink SH-2N Jazz in the neck position. She RAWKS and purrs now.

image.png

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

So, while technically, it's not from my bench, the guitar will eventually be assembled on my bench. Shane of HEL Guitars, sent this last night: the fret board for my crackle Cali replacement neck. :D

image.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Never2Late said:

Was that your double-neck he's holding-on to?

I dropped-off my Scepter for minor-surgery and got the 'grand tour'.....including a peek at what was in the big guitar case on the floor.  Got plans?

38 minutes ago, Never2Late said:

I dropped-off my Scepter for minor-surgery and got the 'grand tour'.....including a peek at what was in the big guitar case on the floor.  Got plans?

Yep- he used your Scepter as a reference for Boomer positioning on that Crackle Cali neck shown above.  FTR- That's not my double-neck case. The MOAC has ebony boards and already is scalloped on the 6 string neck. :D

Edited by diablo175

Soon to be 12"- 14" compound radius,  jumbo SS frets to go with badass pink, marbled boomers. Mmmm...

image.png

• Like 2

On 3/5/2019 at 11:24 AM, diablo175 said:

Next, Shane's gonna scallop the fret board just like this:

image.png

That looks like something that Douchebag Maestro Alex Gregory would conceive. 

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2019 at 10:24 AM, diablo175 said:

Next, Shane's gonna scallop the fret board just like this:

image.png

1 hour ago, Biz Prof said:

That looks like something that Douchebag Maestro Alex Gregory would conceive. 

Seriously, is that a real working neck?  Looks like something meant to propel spitwads in Junior High.  And how much do you have to tighten the truss rod to keep it straight under string tension?

• Like 1

Eeny meeny miney mo...

Choice is good even when there's clearly only one choice. Go OFR or go home.

Floyds.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, diablo175 said:

Eeny meeny miney mo...

Choice is good even when there's clearly only one choice. Go OFR or go home.

Floyds.jpg

That’s an impressive collection!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dutchman said:

That’s an impressive collection!!

I take my Floyds very seriously. 😆

4 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

You're getting it big and hard and liking it!  😂

Uh, I suppose that's one way of thinking about it. Not one that would occur to me but I'm not judging... much. ;)

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Yeah, it's been a while. Aside from string changes and other insignificant shit, nothing's been happenin' on the ol' bench. That is, until today. Last Sunday Meatbomb returned one of the Burrito axes he built for me and per my request, it had numerous fixes done-  neck shaved down a bit, board edges rolled a little more,  finish stripped and so on. My next task will be determining a finish,  (the old one was far too dark and gloomy) procuring a shit ton of hardware and electronics-  it's getting the usual OFR, a Gravelin set (yet to be determined but leaning towards his double slug that went into the Spitfire and a '59-ish neck p'up) Gotoh left hand black tuners and so on. Paging Dr. Stike, paging Dr. Stike...

Speaking of p'ups, one of the more disappointing p'ups I've put up with for far too long was the one in my Jackson CS  FWAM Star. It was a regular sized SH-5 Custom but it just didn't wow like Josh's p'ups do. I've held off on changing it out because of the painted cover and a healthy dose of apprehension due to inexperience. I've only ever tackled one covered  p'up on an import shredder and it was a serious hassle separating them. It ws laso metal and this one is plastic. I didn't want to risk damaging the plastic or f*cking up the paint on the cover. Finally,  my annoyance with the FWAM p'up grew to the point of no return, so, I dug into the wealth of knowledge and experience out there on the web and applied it. I discovered, to my surprise, the cover came off without much fuss or struggle. Better still, the Gravelin Mongoose I happened to have sitting on the bench, fits perfectly in the cover!!!  Diablo's a happy camper! Tone report to follow.

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

Edited by diablo175
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, diablo175 said:

Yeah, it's been a while. Aside from string changes and other insignificant shit, nothing's been happenin' on the ol' bench. That is, until today. Last Sunday Meatbomb returned one of the Burrito axes he build for me and per my request, it had numerous fixes done-  neck shaved down a bit, board edges rolled a little more,  finish stripped and so on. My next task will be determining a finish,  (the old one was far too dark and gloomy) procuring a shit ton of hardware and electronics-  it's getting the usual OFR, a Gravelin set (yet to be determined but leaning towards his double slug that went into the Spitfire and a '59-ish neck p'up) Gotoh left hand black tuners and so on. Paging Dr. Stike, paging Dr. Stike...

Speaking of p'ups, one of the more disappointing p'ups I've put up with for far too long was the one in my Jackson CS  FWAM Star. It was a regular sized SH-5 Custom but it just didn't wow like Josh's p'ups do. I've held off on changing it out because of the painted cover and a healthy dose of apprehension due to inexperience. I've only ever tackled one covered  p'up on an import shredder and it was a serious hassle separating them. It ws laso metal and this one is plastic. I didn't want to risk damaging the plastic or f*cking up the paint on the cover. Finally,  my annoyance with the FWAM p'up grew to the point of no return, so, I dug into the wealth of knowledge and experience out there on the web and applied it. I discovered, to my surprise, the cover came off without much fuss or struggle. Better still, the Gravelin Mongoose I happened to have sitting on the bench, fits perfectly in the cover!!!  Diablo's a happy camper! Tone report to follow.

IMG_0066.jpg

What type of top is that? Maple? Is that the finish? It looks like the surface of the moon!! Very very cool!!!