Hamer Fan Club Message Center

News From The Bench

18 minutes ago, Dutchman said:

What type of top is that? Maple? Is that the finish? It looks like the surface of the moon!! Very very cool!!! 

Quilted maple and no, the finish was this:

image.png

8 minutes ago, killerteddybear said:

Clear coat, clear coat, clear coat...

Not likely- the quilt top is a 1/4 inch slab of maple and the seam has to be sprayed opaque just like in the original finish. However, since this is getting additional work done to the trem recess cavity and that will need to be hidden as well, I'm leaning towards a complete opaque finish. But I agree- it's a purdy top.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, killerteddybear said:

Clear coat, clear coat, clear coat...

I agree!!! It looks tit’s the way it is!!! In the pic anyhow... Unique!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

A dark and gloomy finish should have been perfect for heavy metal. 

Oh but I play much much more than just heavy metal. ;)

7 hours ago, diablo175 said:

Not likely- the quilt top is a 1/4 inch slab of maple and the seam has to be sprayed opaque just like in the original finish. However, since this is getting additional work done to the trem recess cavity and that will need to be hidden as well, I'm leaning towards a complete opaque finish. But I agree- it's a purdy top.

If it must be opaque, please consider a light green metalflake.

20.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Haven't posted here in a while (since July) so this is timely- took the recently acquired LTD Lynch Kamikaze and gave it a much-needed overhaul. The previous owner actually started it down the path of resale ruination by adding a rout for a toggle switch and putting slightly better p'ups in- a Custom 5 and a Dimarzio Chopper. Meh. The SH-15 came out for a Bare Knuckle Warpig on a glowing endorsement from @DBraz. He was fully on point- the Warpig is a hot rod, flame-throwing rocker with tons of output- (21K) but tames nicely with volume knob tweaks. It has great high end bite without being shrill and has a nice, tight low end- just right for my use.

Naturally, the POS stock FR Special trem had to go and post haste! That was replaced with a like-new Schaller Lock Meister w/ 37mm brass fat block I happened to have lying around on the bench.

Hily shit! What an improvement! The guitar plays and sounds significantly better and with the intended addition of a kill switch vol pot, it'll be a nice little stunt guitar.

image.png

• Like 3

Burrito Brothers reunited!

So, the younger, more brash brother of the Burrito 1 (shown a few posts back) has made it's way home! For the uninitiated, Meatbomb of Addict Guitars built me a 2nd Burrito after the first one was decommissioned because of some trem and other issues it had incurred. The second differed from the first with a standard 24 fret neck w/ bouncing inlays and a Fernandes sustainer unit. Unfortunately,  the clear cracked noticeably and the band stopped gigging right as Meatbomb's attentions turned to metalsmithing. Fast forward 9 months, after a gracious refund and copious apologies, the Burrito 2 was headed for eBay to be sold as a project for some aspiring builder or player. Long story short I re-acquired it and have set wheels in motion to have it revamped and revitalized! Much like it's older sibling, this will go to Shane at HEL Custom Guitars first, for a new sustainer system- (I'm not keen on the Fernandes version) some new inlays 🤫 , a minor neck profile tweak and prepping for a new  @Stike finish!  And yes, the figuring WILL be left intact and visible on this new version.

IMG_5836.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RobB said:

Wait, I’m confused. The above guitar is the second Burrito? Work to be done is new neck profile and new sustainer?

Yes. And new paint.

• 3 weeks later...

Naturally, I modded my recent BC Rich acquisition with the addition of a kill switch tone pot and a new-ish LockMeister and big brass block. It stands to reason that after you've done certain tasks over and over, you're likely to get pretty good at it and I thought this was such a case.

Oh ho! Not so fast! Ran into a bit of a soldering & wiring issue that, suffice it to say, stymied any sound from happening. I was a bit frustrated, especially since this was something done before. The real hang up was in the fact that what was amiss, wasn't obvious and I had little in the way of diagrams or schematics to follow. My reflex response was to phone up a local tech  (though Shane Huss has been pretty damn good about helping walk me through other minor issues) and punt it off to him. Thus, I had a few hours before I was to drop it off with the tech when I decided to take one more look at it. I checked and re-checked and reviewed the only diagrams I did have, of which neither fully addressed the necessary routing of wires. I had to extrapolate and combine info from both to achieve a complete picture.

Long story short, my effort paid off! It was several items- a bad wire the previous gent had used and my mis-routing a few lines as well. But persistence won the day and I'm a tiny bit more knowledgeable and better off for it!

It ain't pretty but it works!!!

image.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So, not so much on MY bench but some pretty f-ing exciting shit going down shortly!

First- a quick update on the Burrito siblings. (yeah, I named them Burrito 1 and 2. I'm weird like that)  Burrito 1 has left Shane's bench and is now in the talented hands of our own Stike and will be getting a beauteous SFG treatment.

Burrito 2  is on Shane's bench getting a few exciting additions and modifications. I've been LED to believe that the changes will be most illuminating. ;) In addition to some inlay changes, it will be getting new frets, and a better carve on the neck. Then it, too, is off to Stike for a different finish.

And speaking of Shane, (I better get a f*cking holiday card or something for supporting his ass like this- 🤣) I've commissioned him for two new builds!

One will be a slightly modified version of the balls-out, f*cking amazing Spitfire he built for me last year. This one will have a different head stock and a few additional features than the original SF and will feature a Warbird finish. If this maintains the playability of the first one, it promises to be a total incendiary stunt guitar!

The second will be a Diablo-adjusted version of the Phantom A-5 that I call the Specter. Shout out to @murkat and @cmatthes for the Phantom body to use as a template to create the Specter. And a shout out to @Stike for the kick ass paint job he is certainly going to impart to it. Suffice it to say, this will check all of the boxes I need on my axes but it will pay homage to the Phantom in both build and finish.

Stay tuned.

Edited by diablo175
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...