Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Northfield

What's been going on in the shop - next chapter

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 12/30/2018 at 9:12 PM, HSB0531 said:

As others have probably said, it’s real hard to find a tree wide enogh to produce a one-piece guitar body.

The tree log has to be considerably wider the the wood blank that gets carved into a guitar body.

I’m pretty sure that all the Standards were one piece bodies btw.

As time goes on, it gets harder and harder to find big enough trees to make one piece bodies.

Not all Hamer USA Standards had one-piece mahogany backs...I had one in natural (plain mahogany, no maple top, dot inlays. no binding) with a curved neck heel that was a two-piece body, and I've seen others in plain mahogany with the same curved neck heel that were also two-piece bodies.  I also had a plain mahogany (no maple top, dot inlays, no binding) USA Standard with the typical squared neck heel that maple-topped Standards had, that had a one-piece mahogany body.  I believe both of the ones that I had were made in 1996.  Maybe the shape of the neck heel had something to do with it, or maybe it was just coincidence.  I dunno.

That being said, there's old pictures of 'old growth' mahogany trees that were HUGE, not quite as big around as a redwood tree but still plenty big, as big if not bigger around the middle than a full-sized old oak tree.  Good luck finding one that big anymore.

Edited by crunchee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All flametop Standards were one-piece bodies.  The Mahogany Standard and the Standard Korina had two-piece bodies many times, but they are thicker and have different heels. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Northfield said:

Lots of cool, new things going on right now - should be a great year!  

F2EE3479-AD16-4514-B60A-28DB4340C0BE.jpeg

Wow!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang it.  New build idea creates confusion at yet another option.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, BubbaVO said:

Dang it.  New build idea creates confusion at yet another option.

Exactly. But I am holding firm to my original idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh geez...  I thought I didn't need another guitar...

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WARNING: If you can't whether the storm of beautiful images before you have placed the order, imagine how hard it will be after you place the order. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shawn, I can't believe how thoroughly you nailed it. Go buy a lottery ticket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hamerhead said:

Shawn, I can't believe how thoroughly you nailed it. Go buy a lottery ticket.

Lottery or not.  He still has to wait in line.😜

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BubbaVO said:

Lottery or not.  He still has to wait in line.😜

I am in line, two more times. What ever you order be open enough to let Team Shishkov work their magic. We should remember that we are ordering a Shishkov, not some knockoff. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bubs_42 said:

I am in line, two more times. What ever you order be open enough to let Team Shishkov work their magic. We should remember that we are ordering a Shishkov, not some knockoff. 

I'm in line for one and sent a rough idea for another.  I broke out the Ultimate yesterday and it proved to me that the wait for the next is worth it.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We live in incredibly exciting times...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot imagine what I might come up with that would be better than the first. That is NOT to say that my mind does not shift into overdrive, y'unnerstand.......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, django49 said:

I cannot imagine what I might come up with that would be better than the first. That is NOT to say that my mind does not shift into overdrive, y'unnerstand.......

Easy, just don't repeat yourself, and blaze a new trail. Little of this, a little of that, some of the past, some of the present and block out what everyone else is doing. Team Shishkov will take care of the rest. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Mike has become a victim of his own success. His lead times are currently running at 2 and a half years (I hear), are there any amongst us that have been put off getting a Shishkov due to the wait?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, django49 said:

I cannot imagine what I might come up with that would be better than the first. That is NOT to say that my mind does not shift into overdrive, y'unnerstand.......

I was the same as you but after one week of owning #50 I placed my deposit on another.  I knew the wait times involved and that I could worry about some final specs down the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I wonder if Mike has become a victim of his own success. His lead times are currently running at 2 and a half years (I hear), are there any amongst us that have been put off getting a Shishkov due to the wait?

Might want to check with Mike before posting what "you hear" his lead times are.   Some people have had to wait longer because they put orders in before he was tooled up or ready to work on a particular model, and other people put orders in for guitars that hadn't even been prototyped while he was working on the original Ultimate run - people knew that their guitars wouldn't be able to even get started until the 50+ Ultimates were all finished.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

Might want to check with Mike before posting what "you hear" his lead times are.   Some people have had to wait longer because they put orders in before he was tooled up or ready to work on a particular model, and other people put orders in for guitars that hadn't even been prototyped while he was working on the original Ultimate run - people knew that their guitars wouldn't be able to even get started until the 50+ Ultimates were all finished.

Hey, this is not a slight on Shishkov guitars, read the post "victim of his own success", he has been and still is successful at producing guitars, but what I hear is based in fact because of previous postings of lead times and guitars that I know that have taken this long. Like everyone here I am hoping that Shishkov continues to be successful but lead times of 2 years, in today's have it now world, may put some people off. No offence meant or implied...obviously. I have a very good friend with a Shishkov and it's a beauty no doubt.

Edited by fasteddie
Spelling and grammer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The time frame doesn't matter when you are getting excellence of this caliber. Don't hesitate, order today.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 0054 said:

The time frame doesn't matter when you are getting excellence of this caliber. Don't hesitate, order today.

This.

0054 has nailed it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember "The longer you wait, the longer you wait. ". 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Hey, this is not a slight on Shishkov guitars, read the post "victim of his own success", he has been and still is successful at producing guitars, but what I hear is based in fact because of previous postings of lead times and guitars that I know that have taken this long. Like everyone here I am hoping that Shishkov continues to be successful but lead times of 2 years, in today's have it now world, may put some people off. No offence meant or implied...obviously. I have a very good friend with a Shishkov and it's a beauty no doubt.

Mike told me his lead time was about 18 months when I talked to him on the phone...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...