Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Howdy! Up early for me, thought I'd stop past and say hello. I'm still teaching high school, but it looks like the Illinois budget crisis will get us soon. Going on four years at Menards, selling light bulbs and ceiling fans with best / worst of them. The long hours and a wicked fight w pneumonia damn near killed me in November, so I did the logical thing ? and started a music instruction biz in January. Rock University. Rock U. Like a Hurricane, baby! Crazy busy, but all is well.

20160618_115056.jpg

20160526_151415.jpg

Good point. Eventually, I hope to get into limited retail items like that; however, the local Food Pantry is letting me use their empty building, and since they are a non-profit, the waters are a bit murky for me to do retail. Hoping to buy the building in 17, though. 

Sounds really nice. Bring music to the masses. B)

Do not get too excited about selling stuff.  You are going to exist in the real world.  College book stores are in another world.  People putting themselves through school have to pay big bucks for every college text book.  Moms and dads paying for their children's education have to pay hundreds for books ever semester.  Students with book vouchers have to spend at the book store.  Those book vouchers also can be used for a few non-academic items like CD players and T-shirts.  Everyone needs their school swag.  No matter who is paying, the college book store is a gold mine for the school.  The schools sometimes delay announcing the books required for courses to prevent the competing book stores around a school to have books in time for the start of classes.  Math, physics, chemistry, grammar, classic literary works, and Shakespeare have had no changes in the last ten years, but the text books have been changed every ten years. 

Have some guitar strings and picks on hand.  Provide a service to your students. 

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

Remember that the book store is the biggest money maker on campus. 

3 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Do not get too excited about selling stuff.  You are going to exist in the real world.  College book stores are in another world.  People putting themselves through school have to pay big bucks for every college text book.  Moms and dads paying for their children's education have to pay hundreds for books ever semester.  Students with book vouchers have to spend at the book store.  Those book vouchers also can be used for a few non-academic items like CD players and T-shirts.  Everyone needs their school swag.  No matter who is paying, the college book store is a gold mine for the school.  The schools sometimes delay announcing the books required for courses to prevent the competing book stores around a school to have books in time for the start of classes.  Math, physics, chemistry, grammar, classic literary works, and Shakespeare have had no changes in the last ten years, but the text books have been changed every ten years. 

Have some guitar strings and picks on hand.  Provide a service to your students. 

Just making sure you're aware that he's not establishing an actual university.

Indeed. In addition to the lessons I teach, I get a cut from my other teachers, and I invested in a sound system for DJ gigs. The plan is coming together well, and I can write off my gear purchases!

Archived