Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame v.2.0

Some of you may remember the thread that I posted four years ago about my visit to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
I was on the way to Columbus, OH to take in the Good Guys Rod & Custom Association car show, and on a whim, my buddy and I decided to stop in on the R&RHoF in Cleveland.

Several of the exhibits were changed, but for the most part it's the same. I highly recommend checking it out if it's not too far out of your way.

Of course, photography is prohibited, but I wasn't going to let a stupid rule like that stop a guy like me from bringing stuff like this to people like you.
For me, these were the highlights.

The King's Gold Lame Suit.

theking.jpg

Joe Strummer's '66 Tele.

jstrummer.jpg

Jeff Beck's Yardbirds Telecaster.

jbeck.jpg

Johnny Ramones' Mosrite.

jramone.jpg

And, of course I couldn't leave you Rick fanbois hanging.

rick01.jpg

rick02.jpg

But there was one exhibit that really put a charge into me.

This is the guitar the Jimi played at Woodstock.

THE guitar with which he played the Star Spangled Banner and the rest of the set that became legendary so many decades ago.

I'll admit it. I stood in awe of an inanimate object with a jolt of electricity tickling my spine.
Countless times I watched the footage from Woodstock, going back to the '70's, and now here was THE guitar!

Even now I look at the photos and think, "That's THE guitar!" over and over again to myself.

jimi01.jpg

jimi02.jpg

jimi03.jpg

Fcuking Owrsome!

Awesome all around!

When I visited, among the ones that crushed me were the original awning from CBGBs (I played there as a teenager and it was a great experience for me. Totally awesome to just see it again), But especially Jimi's childhood couch that he sat and practiced on, and a few of his handwritten notes under glass. Totally struck me how personal and beautiful those things were.

So much more impact on me than, say, Mick Jagger's jumpsuit, etc. Though I have to dig the Elvis gold suit, haha.

Thanks for the pics :)

27 minutes ago, geoff_hartwell said:

Awesome all around!

When I visited, among the ones that crushed me were the original awning from CBGBs (I played there as a teenager and it was a great experience for me. Totally awesome to just see it again), But especially Jimi's childhood couch that he sat and practiced on, and a few of his handwritten notes under glass. Totally struck me how personal and beautiful those things were.

So much more impact on me than, say, Mick Jagger's jumpsuit, etc. Though I have to dig the Elvis gold suit, haha.

Thanks for the pics :)

Agreed on all points!

The awning from CBGB's... I stood under that awning many times in the early '80's.
It was there the last time I was there, but not anymore. Now they have a large photo of the front of CBGB's and of the awning.
That was disappointing.

Jimi and Elvis are well represented for sure. Jimi's sofa with the huge cigarette burns is a trip.

And like you said, Mick's jumpsuit... I'm sure it jazzed a lot of their fans, but I breezed through the Rolling Stones section...Twice now.

BTW: I don't know why all of the photos that I shot vertical are rotated 90 degrees counter clock-wise (I took them with my phone), but in the case of the Jimi's Strat photos, that seems to be apropos.

When I went to the RnR HoF there were John Lennon outfits and Duane Allman's Les Paul on display.  There is something for everyone (except metal heads) in that place. 

The Hendrix strat and Beck's Tele are worth a pilgrimage to Cleveland.

I met the guy who sewed Elvis' gold suit.  Manuel goes to his shop in Nashville every day. 

14 hours ago, sixesandsevens said:

Um, ...  What do you wanna do to the Mona Lisa?

Oh, maybe touch it up a bit. 

c8ebf5a79d316b932a04fa96f9e7943f.jpg

Archived