Hamer Fan Club Message Center

D'Addario Factory Tour Video

When I visited the Ernie Ball factory in 1998 no photography was allowed in the string making area.  Kim Keller at the time said that string manufacturers were secretive about their processes.  D'Addario posted this video in May of this year. 

I have been an enthusiastic D'Addario user for about 30 years and and enthusiastic endorser for 10.

Theyre an awesome company and they make awesome strings.

if you like Elixers try the D'Addario coated EXPs. They rule!

thanks for posting the video, it's really cool!

13 minutes ago, SSII x 2 said:

Generally get the best prices on them too if you buy in bulk...

I wish I could use them for this reason, but all they've done for me is make me a believer in the whole strings and body chemistry nonsense. When I've tried them they feel old and completely lose any slipperiness within an hour or two of restringing.

You ought to contact D'Addario, or any other guitar string company, and start a discussion of body chemistry.  Some guys corrode hardware and strings faster than others.  There is probably some internal research at one of the string manufacturers' offices done to work on the problem.  There is likely a trade off between string features and resistance to corrosion.  Losing the slick feeling of new strings might have something to do with the tin coating versus some other coating alloy. 

5 hours ago, it's me HHB said:

Its very true my oldest son can trash a new set if strings in one sitting. I can go years

Yep, that's me, but does that hold true regardless of brand?  I used Dean Markley (what are now called Vintage Reissue...ouch) strings when I started playing and have used GHS for years.  Neither brand is affected by my poison.  

I cant really with any degree of reliability but know brands hes ruined are

Fender

GHS boomers

DR pure blues 

Daddario

I never use ernie ball or dean markley

What the man said. The key is to experiment and find what works and what to avoid at all costs.

For what it's worth, D'Addario was the only company I wanted to work with for strings for my repair shop when it came time to line up strings for my work. Keep in mind, I don't have a true storefront or a showroom to stock, so all I needed was one full-line of fretted instrument strings that were both very good and very consistent. I also liked the idea they treated my at that time brand new "Pop" shop (I joke I'm so one-man and small I'm not even a Mom-n-Pop shop) and they took good care of me and my little shop's needs from day one. Good people behind the good strings.

The past decade or two has seen me firmly in the D'Addario camp for electrics.  Way back when (80's), before the Hamer acquisition, Kaman had a slightly oddly gauged set of stainless wound, invisible teflon (Kamflon) coated strings that I stuck with until they quit making them.  I also tried a mess of others, but D'Addario has been the most consistent and reliable.

On Ree-shard's recommendation, I'm test-driving (diving) a set of NY Steels on a Phantom.  So far, so good.

One little anecdote: Back in my undergraduate days, I decided to study D'Addario's fledgling effort to be environmentally conscious. My jazz improvisation instructor, Carroll Dashiell (former Pips bassist), was a D'Addario endorser and connected me to the firm's AR guy. He gave me a lot of telephone interview time and company data, which allowed me to write a paper for one course and develop a presentation for another course. I came away from the experience impressed at how powerful organizational culture can be in making the avant garde a central tenet in the company's products and everyday practices.

Very nice! So what's the one you all are using?

3 hours ago, sixesandsevens said:

In my experience using them for 10+ years, it's never been an issue.

They last a long time though.

On Sunday, July 24, 2016 at 3:21 AM, gorch said:

Very nice! So what's the one you all are using?

XL120. I even used the variant with  the ill fated Floyd Rose flat ball ends when they were available back in the '80s. 

Archived