Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What Is This Tool?

Steve Haynie

Question

18 answers to this question

All GM valves I've adjusted (always Chevy small block V8's made before they started this "LS" business) were either 9/16" or 5/8" (been too long to remember) nuts on a stud.  That tool looks much smaller.  The one's I'm talking about / familiar with look like this:

249-1261-1.jpg0900c15280080be5.gif

A stud (for each, eight on each head) sticks out from the head and through the center of the rocker arm.  The nut (pictured) is tightened or loosened to adjust the valve. 

What GM engines have that sort of configuration (use that tool)?  Just curious as I haven't seen one that had a square shaft and a center blade.  Interesting!

Ah, Google being my friend, this says it's a valve adjustment tool, but the patent is from 1925 (GM's small block debuted in 1955). 

Splains it.  Been around, but never been into, an engine that old.  Always interesting stuff here!

14 hours ago, velorush said:

Ah, Google being my friend, this says it's a valve adjustment tool, but the patent is from 1925 (GM's small block debuted in 1955). 

Splains it.  Been around, but never been into, an engine that old.  Always interesting stuff here!

Exactly what I was thinking. In fact, my first thought upon seeing the image and then reading the reference to adjusting valves was "stovebolt six!".  My intuition is sometimes correct...

maxresdefault.jpg

I am helping someone sell off tools on craigslist and eBay.  There have been some oddities that took a while to identify.  There is more stuff that has me searching.  It has been an adventure identifying machinist tools, body shop tools, heavy equipment mechanic tools, automotive tools, electrical tools, plumbing tools, etc. 

I have also learned there are people with GAS for tools. 

It has also surprised me how fast tools depreciate.  Tool boxes take a big hit.  Calipers and other measurement tools with $200+ prices go for $30 used. 

49 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Exactly what I was thinking. In fact, my first thought upon seeing the image and then reading the reference to adjusting valves was "stovebolt six!".  My intuition is sometimes correct...

My experience with the Chevy six: in 1981 I bought a 1957 Chevrolet 210 two-door (yep, $40 from the original owner).  Step 1: remove the six (and the cast iron powerglide as one unit), Step 2: scrap six and powerglide, Step 3: insert '69 350 (with that lovely sounding but still streetable 327/350-hp cam) and turbo 350 trans. Joy!

46 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

I have also learned there are people with GAS for tools.

Love tools!  Especially the more esoteric tools like you posted.  Run across any adze in the stash? 

16 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Someone willing to kemper that for me? :huh:;)

Archived