Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Belated NHD times 2

mrjamiam

I picked these up late last year, both through the good folks of the HFC.  Apparently the universe doesn't want me to have flashy and mint, but I'm doing just fine with "player" models.

Most recently I caved and bought DaveL's 25th Anniversary.  What a great sound!

DSC_0032.jpg

Before that I conspired with Greg G to extract the world's ugliest MONELM from the fever swamps of craigslist.

DSC_0021.jpg

It arrived in the poorest shape of any Hamer I've bought, which is to say not terrible, but:  chipped nut, buzzy set-up, tarnished and dented metalwork, flattened bridge, and non-original homemade plastic control cavity plate.  Greg G was great about giving a detailed assessment as he enabled the transaction, and I knew what I was getting.  However, putting a bit of relief back into the neck helped with the set-up.  A Faber ABR conversion from the original (I guess) Gotoh Nashville, with matching aluminum tailpiece, really made an improvement.  

DSC_0049.jpg

A new anodized brushed aluminum control cavity plate from Frets On The Net makes me feel better about the whole thing, and while I was at it I couldn't resist adding a matching poker chip.

DSC_0050.jpg

The nut could still stand to be replaced, but it's playable now, at least for the purposes of what I refer to as "playing".  I also have a set of special PAF-type pickups that I had planned to put in it, but these stock SD '59's sound pretty good as-is.  I probably won't be able to resist tinkering with it, since I don't feel like I can really mess up the attractiveness, but I'm enjoying it, and the Artist, right here, right now.

If anyone knows where to get a batch of the correct black flathead screws for the control cavity plate, please advise.  I'm still using the big old silver ones from the homebrewed "There, I fixed it!" one that it arrived with.

SD 59s are perfect for that guitar...I tried  several sets in my MONELM, and I dunno, I think the 59s sounded like classic rock....better than anything else.

5 hours ago, mrjamiam said:

IDSC_0049.jpg

Nice guitars there, bruh-bruh. I never cared for the top-carves of Monacos, but it really works with that color scheme. Kind of classic, Greco-Roman or some such. 

Sucks Hamer was shuttered. They made such nice shit.

9 hours ago, RobB said:

Nice guitars there, bruh-bruh. I never cared for the top-carves of Monacos, but it really works with that color scheme. Kind of classic, Greco-Roman or some such. 

It's funny, but I had the exact opposite reaction...  I fee like the top carve is functional and (mercifully) well hidden by a sunburst finish.  Here it's laid bare...  like the salad that was robbed of its honey-mustard by this MONELM. ;)

Paging Stike to the Sparkle Deck...   Stike to the Sparkle Deck, please. :D

2 hours ago, sixesandsevens said:

Paging Stike to the Sparkle Deck...   Stike to the Sparkle Deck, please. :D

The top carve really doesn't move me one way or the other - it's just a feature of the guitar, to me.  However, this exact thought has crossed my mind.

Archived