Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Guitars USA might be coming back soon.

BCR Greg

8 minutes ago, Carl.B said:

Ouch, boy you really got me on that one. :D

What did I say that was ignorant?

BCR Greg was a long time Hamer dealer = True

I hope it's true and they can come back with the same quality and play ability that we all love about them.  = True

BCR Greg has more knowledge of the possibility of Hamer brand coming back than you do = True

You acting like a 13 year old little girl on the board = True.

Buying any line of bullshit from a once relevant member/dealer, especially in the obvious, simplistic attempt to further HIS brand makes you ignorant.
It's ok. Don't beat yourself up about it.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Carl.B said:

This coming from BCR Greg has a little more substance than coming from the normal internet rumor mills. I hope it's true and they can come back with the same quality and play ability that we all love about them. 

Edit to add: I am wondering if the Hamer brand name is now free to use?

Here Carl, I fixed your inital post for you.

4 minutes ago, Carl.B said:

Sorry if I was out of line for posting what I hoped could happen.

I am done with this thread.

No, you were out of line shooting your virtual mouth off at me, but your apology is accepted.

I have to say I NEVER had a bad experience with Greg in the many deals we did. He not only resurrected #0089 from splinters, but he also was responsible for the run of Sustain Block guitars that were done in the early '00s -  something I'm incredibly proud to have been a part of. I seem to recall a fair number of you got killer guitars because of it.

Just sayin'.

25 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Buying any line of bullshit from a once relevant member/dealer, especially in the obvious, simplistic attempt to further HIS brand makes you ignorant.
It's ok. Don't beat yourself up about it.

What "brand" other than vendor is being pushed here?  I'm not seeing the source of your malice - did Greg not get you a guitar you wanted? 

Even-if Hamer were nothing-more (at this juncture) to be a box of specs and legal copy-rights paperwork, whomever currently owns the rights to the brand might have it in mind to trade it for some needed cash in pursuance of other business ventures if the right buyer comes along.  If Jol, or "anyone" wanted it bad enough, I'm sure a deal could be struck if the money was right.  The pages of Fretboard Journal are filled with boutique luthiers making guitars, stranger things have happened....

1 minute ago, kizanski said:

This is a serious question?

Of course - unless Greg is actively MAKING instruments, and slapping a BCR logo on them, they're not his "brand", are they?  I've only known Greg to try and sell me stuff, or offer repair/setup services nothing more.  What are you implying?

9 minutes ago, Never2Late said:

Of course - unless Greg is actively MAKING instruments, and slapping a BCR logo on them, they're not his "brand", are they?  I've only known Greg to try and sell me stuff, or offer repair/setup services nothing more.  What are you implying?

Are you not aware that a dealer makes money when he sells a brand of instruments, dishwashers, or whatever?
And are you also not aware that he is, as are all people in business for themselves, a living, breathing brand?
Don't let me go too fast for you.

Just now, kizanski said:

Are you not aware that a dealer makes money when he sells a brand of instruments, dishwashers, or whatever?
And are you also not aware that he is, as are all people in business for themselves, a living, breathing brand?
Don't let me go too fast for you.

So, you're in a huff because Greg is an instrument retailer?  How terrible.  If Wilcutt, Gruhn, or dare-I-say, Mike S. were involved, you'd be a happier camper?  Greg's "brand", as you've established, is in SALES, not manufacturing.  They are not synonymous - if there's talk of the brand changing-hands, I'd expect all the former dealers (if they're still around, aside from GC) would want to get information.

7 minutes ago, Never2Late said:

So, you're in a huff because Greg is an instrument retailer?  How terrible.  If Wilcutt, Gruhn, or dare-I-say, Mike S. were involved, you'd be a happier camper?  Greg's "brand", as you've established, is in SALES, not manufacturing.  They are not synonymous - if there's talk of the brand changing-hands, I'd expect all the former dealers (if they're still around, aside from GC) would want to get information.

I think there's a lot of history between some folks around here and very little of it is (or will be) explicitly stated in this thread.

Trying to understand the details from what little signal is popping through is folly.

On a positive note, I'll say this though: Greg did a great repair on the neck of my Studio!

7 minutes ago, Never2Late said:

So, you're in a huff because Greg is an instrument retailer?  How terrible.  If Wilcutt, Gruhn, or dare-I-say, Mike S. were involved, you'd be a happier camper?  Greg's "brand", as you've established, is in SALES, not manufacturing.

Yes, and one of his former brands "coming back to life" (which isn't happening, by the way - SPOILER ALERT!), stands to improve his bottom line.
Get it? Hamer Guitars, Hamer Forum?

It's just an attempt to regain relevance. And it happens about every fiscal quarter.

1 minute ago, sixesandsevens said:

I think there's a lot of history between some folks around here and very little of it is (or will be) explicitly stated in this thread.

Trying to understand the details from what little signal is popping through is folly.

I'll say this though, Greg did a great repair on the neck of my Studio!

I suppose - my "local" music store was also a Hamer 'dealer', and his stories are frequent (and long) regarding Hamer product availability and its distribution in the 'good old days' before Big Box Retail mega-contracts ended his ability to obtain new, first-run instrument stock (from a majority of vendors) for his store.  He'd be delighted to have an opportunity to carry something that the other music stores don't, so I'm not surprised if Indie-stores get excited to spread some good news around....

My point above is that there has been lots of talk since 2012 about reviving the Hamer brand.  Not a bit of it has amounted to squat.

With the scattering of what made Hamer Hamer to the wind (its craftsmen and visionaries-like them or not) and the pointless destruction/obliteration of Hamer's legacy by FMIC, etc, together with the current guitar market, this all sounds like nothing more than more hot air.

Dealers couldn't sell Hamers when they were doing well.  The price point for a guitar to paste a Hamer logo on is going to be a non-starter.

If someone wants to try to bring back a brand that was barely above water at its most recent zenith-go for it.  I know I have less than zero interest in a Hamer-in-name-only and see this as pointless rambling.

6 minutes ago, serial said:

My point above is that there has been lots of talk since 2012 about reviving the Hamer brand.  Not a bit of it has amounted to squat.

Or squab, as it were.

For Hamer to come back and be successful they would - at the very least - need us (their grestest fans) to support the venture wholeheartedly. 

We're not.

Any reasonable business leader would recognise this as a huge concern.  It would be very surprising if they saw the current market as a viable place to make money with a resurrected brand if that brand holds little value.

Sinse Mike set up his shop many of us have put our faith in his brand.  You'll read nothing but superlatives about his product and service.  To me he is the new Hamer Custom shop. 

6 minutes ago, mrjamiam said:

I'd buy a T-shirt or maybe some other swag, if it was better quality than what the currently available eBay merch seems to be.

I think repops of T-shirts would be the most profitable option actually!

Archived