Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Guitars USA might be coming back soon.

BCR Greg

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh. Could work. But need to have a real unique selling proposition, and the market is so saturated they'd have to displace someone. Maybe build nothing but P90s Specials, at USA Gibson "faded" price points, with an import line mirroring the US line. Sell direct to consumer to make a decent margin. Somewhere between AXL and Carvin as far as business model. But I dunno if Hamer has enough brand equity to make a difference.

1 minute ago, polara said:

Eh. Could work. But need to have a real unique selling proposition, and the market is so saturated they'd have to displace someone. Maybe build nothing but P90s Specials, at USA Gibson "faded" price points, with an import line mirroring the US line. Sell direct to consumer to make a decent margin. Somewhere between AXL and Carvin as far as business model. But I dunno if Hamer has enough brand equity to make a difference.

Considering Fender bought Kaman for its distribution network, that would be odd.  

6 hours ago, RobB said:

So, you're saying my New Hartford Guild is not a "real" Guild? That's upsetting!

You must be referring to the Tacoma, Corona or Oxnard Guilds, right? Right?

Huhuhuhuhuhuh...! "nard"...

I was referring to the current , new Guild. At some point they become a different guitar with the old name plastered on. 

To answer your question, I have no clue if your NH Guild is a real Guild or not. I haven't seen it . I know for certain my Westerly, RI Guild sure is. 

This brings to mind an essay written by Bill Nash several years ago:

"It may be a bit of a strange concept, but open your mind and try and forget everything you know and feel about guitars. Now, here is a concept - Leo Fender left his company in 1964. You know most of this history, but now look at it from a MFG standpoint and what you consider a real Fender guitar. Those factories are all gone. Fender is dead, most of the people that put those guitars together are long gone. Virtually every facet of making a Fender guitar is different, completely different, than it was back in Leo's days. So what we have is something called a Fender Stratocaster that other than the shape of the body and headstock and some layout shares almost nothing with the "real" Fender Stratocaster as it was designed and made in the early days. Think of it this way - Ford motor Company makes a new Mustang that is a killer little car that does have an overall vibe from its namesake from the 60s, but it is in no way a 64 Mustang.

This brings me to my point. No one has made a real Fender guitar since 1964. FMIC, may hold copyrights and trademarks to some names and designs, but they certainly do not make real Fender guitars as Ford does not make a real Mustang any more. Now start thinking about all those crappy cars that share names with some really great cars and it becomes a real funny thing to think about. A 2006 Chevy Impala has as much to do with a 1960 Chevy Impala as does a Moped. Now, when someone buys a Made in Mexico Fender Telecaster, is it really a Fender Telecaster or is it as much a Fender Telecaster as a 2007 Ford Mustang is a FORD MUSTANG? Could you consider that FMIC is actually making Fender copies, and sometimes not very well? Some of the Fender reissues made by the Custom Shop are much more on target, however they are still hobbled by many factors, such as paint, pickups, hardware and other parts that are still made from more modern designs or elements.

So, for many people who buy our guitars, we put something in their hands something that is better to their liking - and may just do Leo a bit more justice. I hope so. Look at a thing for only what it is. Right here right now.

FYI, I own several post 64 Fenders myself so do not think I am trashing them. I do buy them with different expectations than I did years ago. I know they are copies and or replicas. My favorites are the MIJ reissues. Should I think just because FMIC holds the control of the name, that a guitar made in Japan, Mexico or China is actually a REAL Fender?

Now, so you do not think I am trashing Fender specifically, I feel that there are many makers that have put out guitars with their company name, model name and logos that share little with the "original" guitars. Gretsch comes to mind easily as they make a fantastic line of reissues, however except for the USA custom shop stuff, all of them are made in the orient. I think of these as copies commissioned for the holder of the trade name and though they may look and sound much like their vintage brothers, they are certainly a whole different instrument. Is a current Hamer Sunburst anywhere near the guitar that was the 1981 Hamer Sunburst? I think Rickenbacker is the only guitar maker from the old days that could actually claim that they are much the same as they once were, as they have not been bought, sold, moved, re-tooled, commissioned Asian factories and all the other things most makers have done. Gibson falls in a mid point as they certainly have been bought and sold many times and moved factories etc, but the end product in most cases has come full circle and in my opinion they make guitars as good if not better than they did in the 50s. This of course depends on model as there are certainly examples of questionable guitars in their line. My only complaint is that the guitars generally need a complete fret dressing and some other mods when they come out of the factory.

Bottom line is that there are many Fender inspired guitar builders who make guitars that are better than the ones either made or commissioned by FMIC. I may or not be one of them, but I can say that Callaham, Anderson, Suhr, Grosch and several others would certainly be in this category."

I don't want to see import guitars with the Hamer name. They did that recently when they revived the Hagström brand name. It just deluting the legacy of what once was. Terrible.

If they chose to bring the brand back as a small luthier brand, where they build to old specs. Perhaps only on orders, just like Shishkov, then I'd love it. Even better if they hire Mike, give him a good monthly sallary and everything that comes with that, and let him build the guitars just like he builds the Shishkov's, but with a Hamer logo. Then I'd be totally in.

Dumb question so what does this do to the value of my Hamers? I looked around the 'net, not sure what to make of the ones I see for sale and the price. 

Eventually people are going to forget about them once a generation flips right? 

Guys...

Until there is some verifiable, concrete announcement from JAM Industries or whoever is foolish enough to relaunch this venture in 2017, all threads like this will be are pissing matches based on groundless speculation and opinion.

Dont take the bait.

9 hours ago, Dana_V said:

I'm still trying to figure out what DMKLI means.

39 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Drop More Knowledge, Less Innuendo 

If you had more time you would figure that out eventually. ;)

Thanks. I suppose I could have asked my 11-year-old daughter; I could've gotten the answer plus one of those "you are SO dumb" eye rolls. :rolleyes:

On January 12, 2017 at 7:18 AM, cmatthes said:

Guys...

Until there is some verifiable, concrete announcement from JAM Industries or whoever is foolish enough to relaunch this venture in 2017, all threads like this will be are pissing matches based on groundless speculation and opinion.

Dont take the bait.

Then lock the damn thread. Threads like this is what tarnish this place as a good hang. I've heard enough BS spouted in this thread to last a lifetime and most of it is not coming from the OP. 

18 minutes ago, Dana_V said:

Thanks. I suppose I could have asked my 11-year-old daughter; I could've gotten the answer plus one of those "you are SO dumb" eye rolls. :rolleyes:

She wouldn't know what it means. That's an HFC original.

6 minutes ago, MCChris said:

She wouldn't know what it means. That's an HFC original.

Ah, I see. I thought maybe it was more of that hep internet slang all the kids are using these days.

2 minutes ago, Dana_V said:

Ah, I see. I thought maybe it was more of that hep internet slang all the kids are using these days.

It would be if not for the fact that an out-of-touch old asshole (namely, me) came up with it.

9 minutes ago, MCChris said:

It would be if not for the fact that an out-of-touch old asshole (namely, me) came up with it.

I was gonna say, it was either you or Kiz that came up with it.  An HFC classic.

Ahhh, the HFC is family and every now and again, we have brotherly disagreements.  I've been here since 1996 and there have been a half-dozen or more 'nuclear' spats.  This doesn't even come close...

;)

25 minutes ago, serial said:

Ahhh, the HFC is family and every now and again, we have brotherly disagreements.  I've been here since 1996 and there have been a half-dozen or more 'nuclear' spats.  This doesn't even come close...

;)

Yeah, that's real! Sir Douglas/Ed Rechts bouts come to mind. Laugh-out-loud hi-LARIOUS!

Archived