Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Guitars USA might be coming back soon.

BCR Greg

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, serial said:

The interesting thing about this term is that people who know anything about wine don't sniff corks-you visually inspect them-sniffing is an immediate indication of pretend-pretentiousness.

That's funny, I don't drink much of any alcohol, just can't get through the taste, but I remember going to a "nice" resturant and having the waiter hand me the cork(like I would "know" what to do with it) and I looked at him all confused, he just smiled and nodded like I knew some secret handshake and I was scared there was secret signal I had just given him. I was looking over my shoulder the rest of the evening.

7 hours ago, Sugartune said:

Mos Def. So much cork sniffed, that some consider having their nasal passages lined with it. Classy.

CorkSniffer.jpg

On 1/25/2017 at 4:56 PM, anotherfreak said:

That's funny, I don't drink much of any alcohol, just can't get through the taste, but I remember going to a "nice" resturant and having the waiter hand me the cork(like I would "know" what to do with it) and I looked at him all confused, he just smiled and nodded like I knew some secret handshake and I was scared there was secret signal I had just given him. I was looking over my shoulder the rest of the evening.

Ah, the wine ritual... I'm terrible at it as well.  Really the whole point is to just make sure that you are getting the right vintage and that it isn't corked, but even if you order a $45 Montepulciano (that cost them $15), they present it as if it were the King of Prussia.  Cracks me up everytime.  

Back when I worked at Spec's, you should have seen how we drank wine when occasionally we had to check a vintage that was rumored to be turning.  The only way to really enjoy wine is to drink it like a damned heathen.  In the words of a grand sommelier with whom I worked, "Don't swirl it!  Pound that shit, bro!"  Killing an expensive bottle of Bordeaux or Pinot Noir as if you are in a frat-house chugg-off with Dionysus himself is something everyone should do once, and I'm not even a huge fan of wine. 

Good times.

Anyway, carry on folks! 

2 hours ago, serial said:

I learned that waiting tables...

I learned that  Sitting at a table full of hardcore jazz musicians when they suddenly found out I was into The Blues.

12 hours ago, polara said:

Owner of the guitar shop down the street is mostly a classical player, and tells me his cellist friend was excited about his $50,000 pernambuco bow.

Makes me feel better about dropping $500 on a perfect vintage Hagström last week.

jesus fucking christ, $50K?? at that price, I would insist on genuine unicorn hair....

29 minutes ago, sw686blue said:

So, you mean, after all this, I can't order a US made Hamer? I've been swindled.

Well, here's more good news related to this thread. Nick is back... or I just noticed he was still around. In either case, I feel happy here! :)

18 minutes ago, jisham said:

I suspect it was bullshit all along.

No expectations, no disappointments. That's how I rolled...

11 hours ago, sw686blue said:

So, you mean, after all this, I can't order a US made Hamer? I've been swindled.

Sure you can-there are lots available on Alibaba.

On 1/25/2017 at 11:09 AM, JohnnyB said:

Well, I am not good at soaking cork! All the 3 & 5 liter boxes of wine that I open, all the cardboard punchout circles smell the same so I never want to soak them just slam the contents down as mentioned previously in this thread, works for me as I am no wine connisour and I don't really care for wine just try to fit in when possible and get a buzz on! I think I did good on the Hamer cork sucking/snuffing as I fell to into that Hamer hole. As for a Hamer USA guitars coming back, the horse I saw being beat to death over the last week has really had enough! Order a Shishkov and all will end well! Thanks for the tease on Hamer coming back as this has to be the most popular and at the same time most ridiculous post ever. I will cherish my imports as they are but you can leave me out on buying a NEW relaunched Hamer guitar! NAMM Shamm! 

58 minutes ago, serial said:

The sad thing is that the cheap Chinese Alibaba and Rareelectricguitars.com are a lot closer to the actual Hamer stuff than the "resurrected" Hamer brand they showed at NAMM.  

2 hours ago, serial said:

Do you know if the neck joint is made using popsicle sticks to reinforce it? Hamer's initially design (3 piece neck) does not offer the same level of strength and does increase manufacturing costs significantly. 😆

All I know is comparing my two juniors, a Korina and the XT, I really love my XT Junior. While it's not Korina just mahogany but still sounds great. Grab a used import instead of what has been reissued and upgrade your electronics if so desired! Save your cash for something else.

I find the return of Supro guitars and amps far more exciting.

On 2017-01-26 at 4:45 PM, JimiH said:

Right, pay attention, stop reading this thread. Get back to practicing for this years challenge, jeez

I'm this motivated to practice: :P

IMG_3295.JPG

On 1/26/2017 at 11:23 AM, sw686blue said:

Do you know if the neck joint is made using popsicle sticks to reinforce it? Hamer's initially design (3 piece neck) does not offer the same level of strength and does increase manufacturing costs significantly. 😆

The Chinese stuff is made with bamboo popsicle sticks which are far stronger than anything Hamer used.

They use resin glue mixed with aged Panda Bear saliva which forms a super glue-like bond.

Archived