Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Shishkov Jr?

sonic1974

Anyone got a Shishkov Junior style guitar in the works? Kind of a "living vicariously" post. Don't have funds now to order one, but would love to see his take on it. 

Way back when we were younger there was a thread about a "working mans guitar" but I haven't heard much about it in a loooooooong time.

But a Jr. might fit right in there.

I think we'll be seeing more from Mike in 2017, once the current crop of custom orders gets more whittled down...

19 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

No, not going to happen on this one or either of the Shish's I have going. 

How am I supposed to live vicariously off of that?  :P 

3 hours ago, 0054 said:

Let me clarify, I live juniors, that is the basis of where we started, but it's not a junior replica. More along the lines of my posts the workingman's guitar thread. 

My thoughts were a junior intepereted by Mike, with a few of my own ideas of other guitars I like. Pretty much sums it up.

Needed a mental break after compiling and filing 1099's, so... you had two posts in that thread:

"one pickup special with p90, with second or HBs as an option (not too hot), like butterscotch, wraptail. 1200 OTD (with Hamer quality touches of the neck and frets). I would be all over it... could I pick it up? I'll be there in 45 minutes~ I actually live on route 44... just way east :)"

"Solid slab, keep it clean. The wood has to be good, but the neck and frets need to be special with great setup. I was in my local gc today and played a double cut Les Paul... was surprised how much better my artist is. I would say better to have lesser wood on the body and smart choices on pickups. Working man guitar is the special, it is not the cork sniffer, right? Heck, I hate the hockey stick, but if they were hamer quality where my hands touched it, I would buy one."

Given your direction (above), the three years since of marinating on it and the amazing enthusiasm / vision / taste / recommendations of Mr. Shishkov that permeate conversations with his clients, I really look forward to the outcome! 

It's like waiting to find out the gender of your unborn child - some surprises are just too cool to spoil!

18 hours ago, 0054 said:

While that is true, you still keep discussing and thinking about the baby, right? You draw up plans in your mind, what the room will look like, what toys (amps) will be with said baby, and then finally brag to your friends on the HFC!

Yes, but you can also start making payments to the Hospital ahead of time so that sucker is yours when you bring it home. ;) Keep talking though, but I think most of the details are nailed down or left open or Mike for the seasoning. I was actually considering asking him to build this one first, instead of my first request. I think you'll like both of them. :) 

Plane and simple, I ordered not what I wanted, but two specific tools that will get used. 

On January 15, 2017 at 8:19 PM, 0054 said:

I'm fairly confident that I will end up with one of Bub's orders some time in the future, so keep me in mind!

Well I won't go there, but I will say that it will be a killer guitar and its already more guitar than I asked for. 

52 minutes ago, 0054 said:

Same here, I can't wait! I can wait actually, but when I get it, I'm a gonna be a happy like a kid!

Of course I was kidding, but can I call pre-dibs? LOL....

Your #2 deep on the list, which is fitting. :P

2 hours ago, 0054 said:

DO IT! DO IT NOW! 

Bubs has great taste in guitars... really my only question is why he sells them... I'm a buyer and keeper... cause if I spent time wanting one... there was good enough reason to buy and then keep and I never get back what I put into it, so screw them! LOL.... I'm averaging one guitar a year....

Part of it is wanting to learn about everything I could and part of it is just insanity. I used to not get rid of anything, but times changed, kids came and the revolving door opened. For this guitar I hope people dig it, its not going to be a Junior or a Special or a Les Paul, Or Or Or, its going to be a Shishkov through in through with a little bit of me, little bit of Josh just for seasoning. I'm actually more excited about this one than the first one I ordered. 

2 hours ago, 0054 said:

I think by junior, Sonic was being generic, referring to a basic style... I mean juniors are both single and double cut... an SG junior is still a junior... that's how I took it... that is where the common guitar language started and then let Mike do what he does...it's a beautiful thing!

I'd tend to agree about being more excited...Ultimates shape are so cool to me... but I'd never get on cause it would be so big.

Yeah, basically I meant a one pickup guitar. 

Does it need a p-90 to qualify as a junior? Haha, guess that's up for debate. 

1 hour ago, 0054 said:

Ever play a junior, with a hot (vintage hot) P90? On 10 its the most rockin sound I have ever heard.. (Neil Young and Crazy Horse / Buzzcocks / Thunders), rolled back it's almost tele like... and at the 4 it's this sparkly popsicle! That is the perfect hope of the pickup... plus without magnetic interference, the sound is quite pure...

Yes they sound great, but evolution gave us other guitars. That is all I can say, we will not go backwards only forwards with this build. 

On January 22, 2017 at 4:12 PM, 0054 said:

My build revolves right around that central idea of the junior... 

Les Pauls and Telecasters (save esquires) were around before juniors... as a subspecies of the greatest first guitars, juniors add a certain element... that is awesome!

The Junior is like a Single Channel Amp, there is a rawness that happens, a primal truth hat you not only hear but feel. 

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 5:12 PM, 0054 said:

My build revolves right around that central idea of the junior... 

Les Pauls and Telecasters (save esquires) were around before juniors... as a subspecies of the greatest first guitars, juniors add a certain element... that is awesome!

Juniors were brought out to be lower priced student guitars, their awesomeness was an accidental finding!

ArnieZ

Archived