Hamer Fan Club Message Center

So, I bought an SG - Updated NGD

LucSulla

I went from hating the look of an SG to appreciating it once I held one. I rather like the thin body and the tone. About the only thing that doesn't wow me is the thicker-than-I-preferred neck (or, at least on the ones I've tried). Still, if I had to own a Gibson solid body, I'd take an SG over a Lester... And I'd want it with a Bigsby.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still on the hunt for an SG. I have been trying to pick up a "natural burst" model from around 2004-2011 in great shape, but they just seem hard to come by. I don't want another Ebony one or a Cherry one, but unfortunately there really isn't much choice in the "standard" line except for those.

It's gotta have the late 60s neck joint, and 498T and 490R pickups. I have thought about getting a special and replacing the electronics, but that's a pain in the butt in some ways.

This was a present I got from my wife last year. It's a Tribute 50's SG with P-90's. Great guitar, well-built and very playable. Its tone is awesome too. 

So I say YES, absolutely, buy yourself an SG and bang it like there's no tomorrow --who can guarantee there will be one anyway? ;) 

zorrow-sg.jpg

On 1/13/2017 at 6:37 AM, Texsunburst59 said:

'71 SG Deluxe

15606402093_5d68291925_c.jpg20557538689_a36a456831_c.jpg

being a huge sabs fan, i had *TWO* SGs in high school, the oddball 71 deluxe (bigsby & LP elevated pickguard/top mount controls),
and a white 70's model that i spray painted black and slapped a kahler in; 

bk 86.jpg

a few years ago i got an epi iommi sg, but after all these years it just felt weird... you can't go home again.

On 1/14/2017 at 6:03 PM, cynic said:

I grabbed the SG Standard VOS below from Ernie last year.  I play pretty sparingly anymore, but since this one arrived I've become a little SG obsessed.  I've got another (MIJ Epiphone) that I also really like but haven't played it much since having it refinished (always wanted a fool replica but feel a little goofy playing it).

SG8.jpg

I stumbled on a VOS that was a special run for GC around 2007. A local guy had it on CL, no COA but a cheap price and it was mint. Nice fat neck. Mine came with Metal Grovers. Funny, back in the day I had a real 61 that someone put metal grovers on and I believe they removed the trem, the plugged holes were visible, here's the VOS, almost like the one that got away:

DSC_0007_zpsba351582.jpg

And the one I had back in the day:

SCAN0024-2_zps9502884b.jpg

1 hour ago, tbonesullivan said:

My big question: full pickguard, or half. I always have loved the look of the batwing pickguard.

I always preferred the full batwing guard. It makes the guitar look complete, for whatever reason.

22 hours ago, Hfan said:

SCAN0024-2_zps9502884b.jpg

Well, how about that shit. I knew that Viv Campbell was a Les Paul player from his earliest days, but I had no idea he played an SG, a Guild, and a gut string as well. :P

16 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Well, how about that shit. I knew that Viv Campbell was a Les Paul player from his earliest days, but I had no idea he played an SG, a Guild, and a gut string as well. :P

Don't forget that Tele..only one I still got.

I have a 2009 Ebony Standard incoming.   After researching a bit about issues with being neck heavy and the neck joint, I felt a little more comfortable with one of these than the 61 RI. I would have preferred the 57 Classics in the 61, but I've never given the 490R-498T pairing a fair shake.  So we shall see. 

3 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

I always preferred the full batwing guard. It makes the guitar look complete, for whatever reason.

I'm the opposite, i like the small guard

4 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

My big question: full pickguard, or half. I always have loved the look of the batwing pickguard.

Half. Never liked the look of the full batwing. Just my $.02, of course. :)

2 hours ago, LucSulla said:

I have a 2009 Ebony Standard incoming.   After researching a bit about issues with being neck heavy and the neck joint, I felt a little more comfortable with one of these than the 61 RI. I would have preferred the 57 Classics in the 61, but I've never given the 490R-498T pairing a fair shake.  So we shall see. 

I like the Standards. There were some great Black Friday deals in 2013, new ones for $750. Good luck with the incoming, congrats.

Another option is the P90 Classic. Chunky neck and the stock P90s are ok. I got one used locally for less than $700. Batwing guard though, doesn't bother me.

On 1/18/2017 at 3:14 PM, LucSulla said:

I had (and sold) a 2008 Ebony Standard. It was not neck heavy at all. The the headstock isn't as wide, and the strap button is farther out, due to the neck joint being a bunch longer. I  should never have sold that guitar, but I always wanted the natural burst version.

I will keep holding out for a case queen Natural burst from 2004-2011.  A lot of them are GC specials though, so they end up having burstbucker pickups, which I'm not sure I would like.

16 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

I had (and sold) a 2008 Ebony Standard. It was not neck heavy at all. The the headstock isn't as wide, and the strap button is farther out, due to the neck joint being a bunch longer. I  should never have sold that guitar, but I always wanted the natural burst version.

I will keep holding out for a case queen Natural burst from 2004-2011.  A lot of them are GC specials though, so they end up having burstbucker pickups, which I'm not sure I would like.

It's a 2014 with eTune, but I very nearly went for this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Gibson-USA-SG-Standard-Guitar-120th-Anniversary-Etune-With-Case-/162335954325?hash=item25cbfa1595:g:HXMAAOSwnHZYRhFe

Everyone that I know who bothered with the MinEtune or whatever it is called system said that 

A. It's easy to get rid of. 
B. It's actually really useful once you get used to it. 

For me it's always been 61-63 SG juniors that I want most.

ive played a several but never owned one sadly.

Small scratchplate, box neck joint, small headstock, P90, and like 5 lbs...I love that. I owned an 80s standard and it was ok, but lacklustre, like a copy of what I actually wanted.

it got stolen, so I was able to buy the best LP I have had, which I sadly sold to raise proceeds for house purchase.

For me it's always been 61-63 SG juniors that I want most.

ive played a several but never owned one sadly.

Small scratchplate, box neck joint, small headstock, P90, and like 5 lbs...I love that. I owned an 80s standard and it was ok, but lacklustre, like a copy of what I actually wanted.

it got stolen, so I was able to buy the best LP I have had, which I sadly sold to raise proceeds for house purchase.

The standards from 2013 to 2015 had the "old style" neck joint from the early 60s, which IMHO sucks compared to the late 60's longer joint. That's one of the reasons I didn't grab a natural burst from that era. Then in 2016 they brought back the 2012 style, but decided they didn't need hard cases, and also didn't bring back the natural burst.

Now they have a "Dark cherry burst" but they went back to the single sided pickguard.

Archived