Hamer Fan Club Message Center

So, I bought an SG - Updated NGD

LucSulla

If you ever take it apart don't forget the pickguard screw under the bridge, impossible to get on without removing the bridge, don't ask how I know. Had to save mine for next string change.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I LOVED the big neck on my old SG. I had the supreme too at the time, which is also awesome, but honestly I should have kept the black one.  Now I need to bide my time until the right one shows up on reverb.

Out of curiosity, I searched for SG's in Sweetwater and I'm seeing some interestingly priced USA-made axes there:

https://www.sweetwater.com/c590--Gibson--Solidbody_Guitars?params=eyJmYWNldCI6eyJCb2R5IFNoYXBlIjpbIlNHIl19fQ

But yes, of course, that's far from Hamer quality... even if these ones have that cool "Gibson" logo on their headstocks. :P:lol: 

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:50 PM, Biz Prof said:

I am definitely a fan of the batwing guard and ebony finish. Nice score! 

yeah I like the small pickguard best but the batwing looks its best on a black SG, pretty cool, nice score

On 1/21/2017 at 9:23 AM, zorrow said:

Out of curiosity, I searched for SG's in Sweetwater and I'm seeing some interestingly priced USA-made axes there:

https://www.sweetwater.com/c590--Gibson--Solidbody_Guitars?params=eyJmYWNldCI6eyJCb2R5IFNoYXBlIjpbIlNHIl19fQ

But yes, of course, that's far from Hamer quality... even if these ones have that cool "Gibson" logo on their headstocks. :P:lol: 

Standards are $1,700? Wow. I keep flashing back to Black Friday 2013, they were $750. The cool Gibson logo does make it easier to sell a used one for sure.

On 1/20/2017 at 2:08 AM, LucSulla said:

I wonder how many people move perfectly good guitars along in a state of dismay when all they really needed to do was learn a little more about setting them up. 

Brent. He always loosened the truss rod all the way and raised the bridge. And then there is the whole waxing guitar with a drill and waxing Tim Shaw pickups. 

13 hours ago, Hfan said:

Standards are $1,700? Wow. I keep flashing back to Black Friday 2013, they were $750. The cool Gibson logo does make it easier to sell a used one for sure.

Those are the Standard HPs which have upgrades compared to the Standard T, which should be $1299. The T is what you think of as your basic SG Std. 

13 hours ago, Ting Ho Dung said:

Brent. He always loosened the truss rod all the way and raised the bridge. And then there is the whole waxing guitar with a drill and waxing Tim Shaw pickups. 

Don't forget top-wrapping every guitar, swapping out half the hardware, and trying to sell it at a profit after a few weeks. And his attempts at making a new nut and fixing a headstock repair.

I'll be quite honest: I would never sell anything at the HOC for fear I'd get him on my case about wanting to buy it from me. I don't want to see something beautiful get destroyed.

• 3 weeks later...
On January 13, 2017 at 9:56 AM, LucSulla said:

The Lexus is a better car by every objective engineering metric, but I'd still take a good Alfa Romeo over one all day long. 

A kindred spirit you are. I'd take a vintage Alfa any day over a new Lexus; preferably a Giulietta spyder.

Archived