Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Les Pauls - The Look

sonic1974

I like the look of the Czech LP ladies made by Jolana:

Jolana-honey-front_8070-2-512x1024.jpg

The name of the model above is Diamant II. More info here: http://jolanaguitars.com/en/models/diamant/jolana-diamant/#models

BTW, these guys used to build guitars for Dean. They offered the best quality/price ratio ever, no BS. I own two Czech-made Dean V coming from this factory and they plainly rule. And if you don't believe me, just ask @BTMN :) 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jettster,

Thanks for the response,

I'm never certain when it comes to finishes, so I prefer to ask.

As I said, this one's particularly nice,

I also like the "more honey, less burst"  part.

Cheers,

Tobias

7 minutes ago, zorrow said:

I like the look of the Czech LP ladies made by Jolana:

Jolana-honey-front_8070-2-512x1024.jpg

The name of the model above is Diamant II. More info here: http://jolanaguitars.com/en/models/diamant/jolana-diamant/#models

BTW, these guys used to build guitars for Dean. They offered the best quality/price ratio ever, no BS. I own two Czech-made Dean V coming from this factory and they plainly rule. And if you don't believe me, just ask @BTMN :) 

Apart from the different headstock, 1st fret inlay, inlays, truss rod cover, and wider lower cutaway

is the "top horn"/ higher bout also narrower (than in a LP)

or is it just my eyes?

I like the look, just wondering.

Cheers,

Tobias

From my bench just now ... my '76 Standard parked next to a '74 Custom that came in this weekend for assorted TLC. The Ace fan in me wants to add a third pickup and a smoker kit in the neck P/U cavity of that cherryburst SO BAD!

IMG_7847.jpg

Mid 70s' Black Custom, gone

'83 SpotLight Special, gone

2007 Epiphone Elitist, as good as either of the other two, still here(accepting offers)

!B)YscwQ!mk~$(KGrHqJ,!iwEv1+zvnMZBMNOqdegUQ~~_3.jpg

customs008.jpg

Epiphone Elitist.jpg

22 hours ago, MCChris said:

IHere's a twist on "the look": pickguard or no? I think a Standard looks weird without one, and a Custom looks weird with one.

I don't feel a certain way about that generally, but mine go the opposite of what you're saying here.  No pickguard on my Standard, pickguards on everything else.

IMG_6183_zpsam2nrtu5.jpg

forgot to add..  here is a shot of one I owned a few years ago,  stupidly sold, what

else is new?       2012 standard premium plus.  snagged on gc used section,  they

posted a blurry pic, but it kind of looked like the top was poppin...  it was.

really well done honeyburst... added Duncan alnico pro II's... my no pickguard slash phase... lol 

i-ZPBSK25-L.jpg

23 hours ago, Ua D said:

So true.  im still trying to rationalize les Paul desire away. 

Yeah, I find myself going on Reverb and looking at CS LP's, reading the CS section at the Les Paul forum etc etc. GAS is an odd thing. Many emotional and psych components at work I guess. Usually for me the logical side wins out. I break out a Hamer and marvel at the quality and feel and it always helps. Or my excellent 93 LP Studio I found at a very low price also helps. I tell myself I'd be playing the same old riffs on whatever guitar I have any way.

There are a few CS pieces around here though. Including an R8.

My 2005 R8. I made sure to get a "reasonably priced" one. Required a road trip to Long Island from Central NJ,. Has some file marks on the board and some buckle rash but it is sweet for sure. The original owner had the receipt from when he bought it new..he pretty much got his money back.

moneyshot_zps2dff507c.jpg

Some current prices are just crazy to me. But I keep window shopping R7s and R9s and R0s...

2 hours ago, DaveL said:

forgot to add..  here is a shot of one I owned a few years ago,  stupidly sold, what

else is new?       2012 standard premium plus.  snagged on gc used section,  they

posted a blurry pic, but it kind of looked like the top was poppin...  it was.

really well done honeyburst... added Duncan alnico pro II's... my slash phase... lol 

i-ZPBSK25-L.jpg

THIS would do it for me...

Just now, RobB said:

Yes, that'd do just fine. 

Dave has an uncanny knack for finding killer LPs. I purchased this one from him about a year ago:

IMG_0303.JPG

Shit.

Damn!!! Some amazing guitars in this thread. Talk about "The Look". 

I'll take three please! 

• A goldtop with P-90s, maybe 54 reissue? 
  • Tobacco Standard from the early 90s
  • Junior with a twist - pimped out in pelham blue - with silver flake trim pinstriping

Archived