Hamer Fan Club Message Center

When your band worships Satan do not complain when you get cheated.

Oh, but is there ever some drama in the band, Ghost!

Papa gets greedy?  Well, duh!  The lyrics are about Satan being the great deceiver, etc.  Is Papa not just doing what he preaches?  A lawsuit between band members is going on now.  Papa wrote most of the music and came up with the concept, but it did take a full band to make it work. 

Lawsuit details

Yeah, it's pretty funny. The Ace of Base of heavy metal just took a shit in the blue cupboard. Always have someone in the know how handle the finances and agreements between band members. Fix it before you hit success. 

Funny thing is the band is represented by a well known music biz attorney here. I know her, she's good. So why she has not adviced them to sort this out long ago, or if she did, why they did not confront the big papa about it, and forced him to sort it out with them, long ago is beyond me.

The further that went, the more it went from sounding like they had a contract to just a verbal agreement.  Unless those guys can prove they had some part in the songwriting, they are likely to get pretty roundly fucked.  

When I occasionally teach music biz here, I spend a whole day telling the musicians in class why they need to go ahead and discuss how they are breaking up the copyrights now, before there is money.  

Next lecture I tell them how there will never be any money because music is worthless.  :lol:

"Yeah, I know you think you're musicians, but you are actually t-shirt salesmen with a live music and streaming side-hustle."

5 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

Next lecture I tell them how there will never be any money because music is worthless.  :lol:

"Yeah, I know you think you're musicians, but you are actually t-shirt salesmen with a live music and streaming side-hustle."

I never got paid for playing music.  I got paid for hauling, setting up, and tearing down a PA system.  I got paid for waiting around until showtime.  Playing music was like taking a break from all the crap that goes with being in a band. 

12 minutes ago, DBraz said:

Sheesh...  There's never been any doubt about payment terms in any band I've been part of.  Especially when we were paid anything worthwhile.

More reason this sounds like a handshake thing to me that went south. 

My best friend was the drummer in bands I played in from 1996 - 2010.  We still did written contracts from time to time.  We are also still best friends. 

4 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

More reason this sounds like a handshake thing to me that went south. 

My best friend was the drummer in bands I played in from 1996 - 2010.  We still did written contracts from time to time.  We are also still best friends. 

I would guess you're right.  This will get messy as more and more people are drawn in.  The thing is even a handshake can constitute a contract in many countries.  The problem is that verbal agreements can get contested successfully at a later date.

Where it gets interesting is when Tobias frantically sent contracts out to try and close this.  That won't help him I'm sure.  

Likewise if it later transpires that the band was profitable, when he allegedly said it wasn't, and the band members weren't getting paid adequately I'd say there'll be more problems.

I'm willing to bet Ghost has turned a profit, but probably a pretty pedestrian one.  The kind where you can live a pleasant, middle-class life after all is said and done, and probably the kind that is about to be gone due to legal fees.  Over here, it looks like the band was grossing between $50K and $90K a show as of 2015.  I don't think that that, by itself, is millionaire kinda money.

59 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

I'm willing to bet Ghost has turned a profit, but probably a pretty pedestrian one.  The kind where you can live a pleasant, middle-class life after all is said and done, and probably the kind that is about to be gone due to legal fees.  Over here, it looks like the band was grossing between $50K and $90K a show as of 2015.  I don't think that that, by itself, is millionaire kinda money.

Band leader Tobias Forge aka Mary Goore has been a member of several other bands as well, including an early version of revival glam metal band Crashdiet in fact :)

3 hours ago, Spadeace said:

Band leader Tobias Forge aka Mary Goore has been a member of several other bands as well, including an early version of revival glam metal band Crashdiet in fact :)

But I'm assuming the rest of the band could only claim the profits from Ghost. 

3 hours ago, DBraz said:

The former band members may be craving a middle class lifestyle if they havent been paid adequately.

I certainly would be.  I'm not saying they don't deserve as much as I hope if they were wronged that they actually have some left.  Then again, I know legal systems vary on who pays, so maybe that situation favors them more in Sweden than it would possibly in the USA. 

On 4/12/2017 at 0:05 PM, Steve Haynie said:

I never got paid for playing music.  I got paid for hauling, setting up, and tearing down a PA system.  I got paid for waiting around until showtime.  Playing music was like taking a break from all the crap that goes with being in a band. 

This ☝️☝️☝️☝️

Archived