Hamer Fan Club Message Center

'92 sunburst- Is this an orignal JB pickup or not?

texwest

Question

I just bought a "92 Sunburst and the treble pickup  was odd because it was a trembucker size??? So I pulled it out to look at it and there is no sticker on the bottom but its got that fancy engraved seymour duncan base.  There was evidence that the sticker used to be there but I did not find it in the cavity.  I measured its resistance and it is 18.13K.  It also has the four conductor wire.  Wondering if any of you serious Hamer experts know if this could possibly be original.  I read on one forum where someone said they had a hot JB in their Centaur and that Duncan overwound them for Hamer.  Considering the trembucker size I'm skeptical that it is original and it looks like the solder had been touched. 

Did hamer ever put trembuckers in Sunbursts from this era?

Were their JB's overwound to 18.13?

10 answers to this question

17 minutes ago, texwest said:

I just bought a "92 Sunburst and the treble pickup  was odd because it was a trembucker size??? So I pulled it out to look at it and there is no sticker on the bottom but its got that fancy engraved seymour duncan base.  There was evidence that the sticker used to be there but I did not find it in the cavity.  I measured its resistance and it is 18.13K.  It also has the four conductor wire.  Wondering if any of you serious Hamer experts know if this could possibly be original.  I read on one forum where someone said they had a hot JB in their Centaur and that Duncan overwound them for Hamer.  Considering the trembucker size I'm skeptical that it is original and it looks like the solder had been touched. 

Did hamer ever put trembuckers in Sunbursts from this era?

Were their JB's overwound to 18.13?

My 92 came with a Custom Custom. If the solder joint looks off it's probablt not the stock pickup.

Just curious, what'd you pay for it and pics please.

The trembucker part is the real big question mark??  It's possible someone removed it and put it back in so the solder may not tell the whole story. $1400 shipped  It looks a little darker in person.  More of an icetea or honeyburst.  Real thin neck.  Has very minor scratches and dings, but nothing major or even noticeable without specifically looking for the flaws. in pretty good shape really.

hamer 2.jpg

4 hours ago, texwest said:

The trembucker part is the real big question mark??  It's possible someone removed it and put it back in so the solder may not tell the whole story. $1400 shipped  It looks a little darker in person.  More of an icetea or honeyburst.  Real thin neck.  Has very minor scratches and dings, but nothing major or even noticeable without specifically looking for the flaws. in pretty good shape really.

hamer 2.jpg

Looks nice. Was the seller in NC by chance?

I had a bran-new Special FM with trem-spaced poles on the treble pickup (a "JB" TB4 I believe) - definitely original. Seems they just did that sometimes and with the TOM string spacing seems to work fine.

I have verified that Hamer did use TB sized pickups in guitars with a TOM.

here's a thread about it 

Also I found this 91 sunburst on reverb  https://reverb.com/item/4747665-hamer-sunburst-usa-1991-orange-w-ohsc the first picture shows how the bridge pickup is very close to the sides of the pickup ring  but the neck pickup has plenty of space in the ring.  This looks exactly like my guitar.  Interestingly enough the poles of the pickup actually line up great with the strings.

Also I found out that the TB sized JB has a higher resistance.  This makes sense because an equal amount of turns on a larger bobbin would take more wire and make for a higher resistance.  So this pickup probably is the original JB.

Archived