Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Rock Bands

Who is the best band out of the following  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do you mean Tommy Tutone? If so.... I am fortunate enough to have been in my late teens/early 20's from '79 to '83. That was really the height of the post punk, power pop explosion. There were so many great bands, and a lot of brilliant pop tunes. 867-5309 is a great pop song. It was great back then, and even today, the original cut holds up well. Forget the fact that every band plays it. It is still a great song.

That said, I've got their first two records. In my opinion, there is nothing memorable about any of the other cuts. It is a mystery that I've wondered about all these years. The planets must have been aligned just right when they wrote that one.

Look at the Plimsouls. Everybody knows "A Million Miles Away". That tune was nowhere near as big as 867-5309. But the album it comes from is filled with well written, memorable songs. I do not think there is one crappy tune on that record. They should have enjoyed a lot more success than they did.

Do you mean Tommy Tutone? If so.... I am fortunate enough to have been in my late teens/early 20's from '79 to '83. That was really the height of the post punk, power pop explosion. There were so many great bands, and a lot of brilliant pop tunes. 867-5309 is a great pop song. It was great back then, and even today, the original cut holds up well. Forget the fact that every band plays it. It is still a great song.

That said, I've got their first two records. In my opinion, there is nothing memorable about any of the other cuts. It is a mystery that I've wondered about all these years. The planets must have been aligned just right when they wrote that one.

Look at the Plimsouls. Everybody knows "A Million Miles Away". That tune was nowhere near as big as 867-5309. But the album it comes from is filled with well written, memorable songs. I do not think there is one crappy tune on that record.

Saxon, I disagree, what about the track " Cheap Date"? In the back of my dads ranchero...

Don't remember that one. Got the record, so I'll give it a listen tomorrow.

Just listened to Cheap Date. I remember it now, obviously. What I should have said was with the brilliance they displayed on "Jenny", I always wondered why more of their songs were not as memorable. What is funny is that I really am Mr. "anti hit song" But I could listen to that one over, and over, and not get tired of it, LOL.

They were doing one of those "'80s Twoplay" things on VH-1 Classics 2 weeks ago and they did "867-5309 (Jenny)". I kept wondering what the hell the next song was going to be - it was nothing memorable, and pretty lame. Muy cheezy video too. Serial and I played "Jenny" in one of the bands we were in in High School when it was first out. Agreed that's still a great pop classic.

Incidentally, a highlight of the two-in-a-row thing was that they did "What's He Got?" and "She Sheila" by the Producers, and then "Kid" and "Tattooed Love Boys" by the Pretenders back to back. Been a LONG time since I've seen those videos!

I'm a big Weezer fan (out of the bands listed above). Just saw them at the Patriot Ctr w/Kaiser Chiefs and Foo Fighters with my wife and sons. They were freakin' amazing live.

Master of Puppets by Metallica is still one of my top 10 albums of all time.

You know how some albums kinda take you back to your 15 - 17 year old days?

At the time NOBODY could touch this album.

:lol:

EDIT - honorable mentions from around that same period in my life:

Led Zep - Everything (yeah I know but I didn't get into Zep until then)

Iron Maiden - Aces High

Megadeth - Peace Sells

Yngwie Malmsteen - Marching Out

Van Halen - 1984

Wasn't "million miles away" on the "valley girl" soundtrack? If so, can anyone burn me a copy? (great song if it's the one I'm thinkin' of)

By the way Tech diff... I just happen to have a few extra CHEAP TRICK picks layin around. Tom P's, too (rare). Have your dad E me and I'll send a couple your way.

Edit to add.. I'd like the whole album from what's been said about it. Is it available on cd?

Wasn't "million miles away" on the "valley girl" soundtrack? If so, can anyone burn me a copy? (great song if it's the one I'm thinkin' of)

By the way Tech diff... I just happen to have a few extra CHEAP TRICK picks layin around. Tom P's, too (rare). Have your dad E me and I'll send a couple your way.

Edit to add.. I'd like the whole album from what's been said about it. Is it available on cd?

Yo HT98,

The Plimsouls are actually in the movie, playing in a bar. The name of the record is "Everywhere At Once". They had one out before that, and shortly after this one Peter Case went solo.... acoustic type stuff.

You should be able to find "Everywhere At Once" without a lot of trouble. For years, I've seen it in every CD cut out bin for about $6. But, I just checked Ebay, and see the price going up a little, so the cut out bin days may be over. Peter Case was on fire for that record. Great Power pop, with several songs that reach the same intensity as "Million Miles Away"

I'd have to say Mulletallica as well, I mean the first four CD's are stellar, nobody has touched them. Master of Puppets to me is very much like Back in Black or Highway to Hell, they're still relevant today, timeless.

I would have to say Cheap Trick first. Metallica would be a close second if we're talking pre Black Album Metallica.

I voted for Metallica too, although they are not rock. Have to agree with the others that they were relevant up until Justice For All. Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and Garage Days is definitely the shit.

These are some of my favorites

Megadeth

Metallica - pre St. Anger

Pantera

Audioslave

Soundgarden

Avenged Sevenfold

Disturbed

Slipknot

Creed

Guns N Roses

Shinedown

Foo Fighters

FullDevilJacket

Atreyu

In Flames

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Offspring

Pink Floyd

Queensryche

Accept

The Tea Party

Cranberries

Def Leppard - High and Dry album

Black Sabbath - I prefer the Ronnie James Dio stuff

I'll have to agree with Saxon.

I'm a big 80's fan too, since I was in my early teens in '82 and '83.

Before I really had enough money to go buy cassette tapes, I thought it was the coolest to be able to take my "BoomBox" and record songs off the radio. Stuff like Survivor, Loverboy, The Knack, Rick Springfield, Asia, Missing Persons, The Tubes, etc. great rock stuff from those back then.

I remember (and probably still have tapes) where I recorded music off of WBBM (a.k.a. "B-96") in Chicago, growing up. HaHa....Thought I was getting away with something illegal!!! HaHa. I figured I owed royalties or something!!! (I was only 11 or 12 remember)

Even songs from synth-pop groups like Human League, Kajagoogoo, The Motels, Duran Duran (pick up their new Live From London DVD!!! They still sound great, if not better!!!)

"A MAJOR LEAGUE Recommendation!!!"

- Always go through the bargain bin stuff at record stores, or discount stores!!! One of my favorite albums...to this day...is Loverboy VI put out in 1997, I believe, before their bassist died.

It's soooooooooooo great to find a really cool rock record that was never really well received in the midst of all the "pop" and "rap" out today!!!

Cheap Trick's "Woke Up with a Monster" was another one I took a chance on, I LOVE it too!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Do you mean Tommy Tutone?

In my opinion, there is nothing memorable about any of the other cuts.

Look at the Plimsouls. Everybody knows "A Million Miles Away". But the album it comes from is filled with well written, memorable songs. They should have enjoyed a lot more success than they did.

r/e tommy tutone, i gotta disagree, turdus. what about "angel say no", & "cheap date"? i was in jr high at the time and rock radio (Q102 & KZEW in dallas) played both of these great tunes all the time. so much so that a few years ago when a pal bought a turntable, i transfered both tunes from vinyl to cd, and i still listen to 'em today.

i do agree w/ your comments r/e the plimsouls, i saw 'em live around that time and they were excellent.

Cheap Trick for me. Not only did they crank out volumes of great guitar-based power pop, but Rick's guitar collecting introduced me to Hamers in the late 70s.

I dig Weezer a lot and Green Day was quite good live. Never "got" Metallica (Iron Maiden even less).

As for Tommy Tutone, I bought the Jenny 45 (still have all of my old 45s from the 70s/early 80s-some real gems in there, actually) and remember playing the flipside maybe once and not being overly impressed. I still like "Jenny" and BroChris sat in with my band at our last gig for a high school band reprise of that one. That was a lot of fun.

I have never heard of them, but if a band

is calles WEZZER then they must be really cool.

My vote is on them. Are they a German metal act?

I dig Weezer a lot and Green Day was quite good live. ....

Yeah, but we were talking about Wezzer. :P

Archived