Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Another week, more craigslist gold

Make offer on highly modified Squier:  https://huntsville.craigslist.org/msg/6183884228.html

Oh, the suspense - will it bring more than a used Squier?

There should be some sort of prize for the careful wording in this SRV strat ad:  https://huntsville.craigslist.org/msg/6178720671.html

"This may have been one of the first 100 SRV guitars built!! because data shows that there may have only been 100 built using Brazilian and some data even indicates that around 50 srv strats had the Brazilian fingerboard so I urge you to do adequate research to determine this for your own satisfaction..please visit stevieray.com/srv-strat.htm and you will see that this guitar has the lowest serial number of any srv strat currently searchable online....it has been played and is not in mint condition but is in very good condition yes new SRV fenders can be bought for much less but do not have the Brazilian fingerboard...please do the homework and you will see that these very early SRV strats are gaining tremendously in value..i have seen the early srv strat (of the first 100) listed at $4500 online"

16 hours ago, mrjamiam said:

"This may have been one of the first 100 SRV guitars built!!

The "100" were each Custom Shop guitars built by John Cruz and after 2001.  There were allegedly (maybe a dozen) CS prototypes of Number 1 replicas built as they were working on the official Fender model, but those were from 1989 (he died 27 August 1990 - I recall because it was my 26th birthday and two days after my wedding).

Another example of a very worthwhile guitar that would easily sell with a simple ad, but hyped ad nauseum.  Everything is "rare and getting harder to find every day."

ETA: if nothing else, the serial numbers of the first hundred would be preceded by "JC" (John Cruz), not "SE."

Archived