Hamer Fan Club Message Center

WTB: Undefined... (Electric Guitar)

Don't know if this type of thread is frowned upon, but the last time I posted a WTB thread here I ended up getting exactly what I was looking for from another member.

I'm craving a new guitar, but I'm not really sure what yet... I have two Hamer Specials (P90 and HB) that I love, so I'm not really looking for another unless it's pretty different. I like the DC Les Paul-style shape, though I'm also considering a Strat--not really interested in another Tele.

Not looking for another guitar with P90s or a Floyd Rose. I like no-frills style guitars, but that doesn't matter too much.

If anyone has anything for sale or any suggestions in general, I'd love to hear them. I've been trolling craigslist and eBay lately, but nothing is speaking to me at the moment. Looking to spend somewhere around $1000.

I don't have anything to sell. But I'd be patient. I'd say about 4 times a year a guitar pops up on this forum that is completely awesome at an unbelievable price. I own way to many guitars and I always say I'm done buying guitars until something crazy is available and I cave again. From what your saying though it sounds like your in the market for a Hamer Studio or Stratocaster. There are a lot of options with those two guitars right there.

Hi, get one Special with one set of P90

And another one with one mini humbucker a  BILL LAWRENCE L500 twinblade coils

Sound amazing 

I do it on one of my Special in  bridge PixelMaster and kept the SEYMOUR DUNCAN Original stock

Nice combination between the both of the driver gain lead tone and pristine clean

11 hours ago, dhuber said:

I don't have anything to sell. But I'd be patient. I'd say about 4 times a year a guitar pops up on this forum that is completely awesome at an unbelievable price. I own way to many guitars and I always say I'm done buying guitars until something crazy is available and I cave again. From what your saying though it sounds like your in the market for a Hamer Studio or Stratocaster. There are a lot of options with those two guitars right there.

Sage advice. I'll be on the look out for a Studio. There has been a couple for sale over the past year that I wish I would've jumped on.

10 hours ago, texwest said:

If you don't have a strat that would be the next thing to get since you have a P90 special and a humbucker special. The Hamer Daytona or a G&L or a fender would be good.

A Daytona would be nice. I feel like I should have a strat, but I've yet to play a Fender that I've really wanted to take home.

Most, if not all here have been on the enjoyable (and costly) road of trying to find "the one" and I'll bet many would agree the only answer is to go thru several guitars until you get a few that scratch all your itches.  Then buy a few more just to be safe!  That's half the fun.

Since you've been down the Tele road, I'll echo that it sounds like a strat would be a great option.  Don't rule anything out.  Some MIM strats are phenomenal and can be had on the cheap.  Suhr, G&L, Nash, USA fender would be killer obviously.  I've never played a daytona but Im sure they are sweet.  You should be able to find something great with your budget. 

For me having p90 and fender single coil guitars covers all the ground I need and you'd have the HB special to boot!  Truth be told there are things a good strat style single coil guitar can do that others just can't.  + Strats are just sexy in that no frills way!  Here's a little tortoise on butterscotch to get you motivated.

Happy hunting!

strat.jpg

10 hours ago, 0054 said:

Korina Jr.

Not really what I'm looking for at the moment, I like P90s, but for what I'm doing at the moment they don't seem as versatile as humbuckers. Definitely on my radar for the future though.

4 hours ago, jelly.roll said:

Hi, get one Special with one set of P90

And another one with one mini humbucker a  BILL LAWRENCE L500 twinblade coils

Sound amazing 

I do it on one of my Special in  bridge PixelMaster and kept the SEYMOUR DUNCAN Original stock

Nice combination between the both of the driver gain lead tone and pristine clean

Sounds interesting. My P90 Special (which I bought from a member) had the stock pickups replaced with Rio Grande pickups, which sound pretty good to my ears. Would be interested in hearing what this sounds like though.

29 minutes ago, Citrus said:

No need to spend $1k

Buy my Hanson.

Different, 2 mini hums semi hollow.  Great pickups, really nice quality build

Thanks for the offer. I've heard pretty good things about Hanson guitars, but I'm not sure it'll go with the aesthetic of what I'm doing at the moment. I'll keep it in mind though...

If you like double-cuts, want something different, and are spending a grand, I have one of these and it's off the hook in terms of quality.

https://reverb.com/item/5029443-first-act-delia-usa

Mine's a little different (was an artist custom order but they were all pretty much custom) but it gets a great 335/Gretsch sound and they're built (by former Gibson CS guys) to a very high standard. Just have to live with the name on the headstock!

I have zero afilliation with the seller: just throwing fun options out there. I love that "money burning a hole on my pocket for a guitar" feeling, so have fun! :)

Truth be told there are things a good strat style single coil guitar can do that others just can't.

So true!  The neck pickup on a good strat is something you can't get out of any other guitar.  Not to mention the inbetween sounds.  But you can really try out alot of strats to find one that is truly great.  There's so many out there that can be a real rabbit's hole.

Also a really cool guitar is a PRS Custom 24 and the market is so flooded that you can get one for under $1500 used.  That's a good deal.  The split sounds are better than the Custom22.  I have two and have it set up with a toggle- push pull so I get the single coil sounds.  But I purposely set it up to pull the inside coils so it does an incredibly good version of the bridge-middle inbetween strat sound. And I like the single coil sounds from the bridge better because its slightly darker than pulling the coil right next to the bridge.  Also with the toggle you have the real mix of neck and bridge pickups too. I have always hated the PRS rotary with its in series mix of neck and bridge. With a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge every sound is good and usable and with taping the inner coils this is the most versatile guitar I have now and I am happier playing it than my strats now.  This a very complicated wiring scheme that involves flipping the magnet and wiring it completely different than anything posted out there.  If anyone wants to know how do it feel free to contact me.

I never thought of myself as a Strat guy - I TRIED to like them, and bought a few cool ones, but only one was really to my taste, and I ended up trading it away on a 4 Digit (Brad Whitford) Standard.

Then...I got a Daytona.  Could not put that guitar down.  I ended up getting a couple more and modding them (Filtertrons in one, Humbucker/2 PhatCats in another...a Daytona doubleneck appeared later somehow).  All are really great guitars, and changed the way I think about Strats.  If you get the itch, you can snag a Daytona for well under $1k most of the time, and then, feel free to drop P-90s or whatever you're missing in there.  Just for fun.

Daytona941.jpg

HamerDaytonaTron1.jpg

HamerDaytonaBlackBeauty.jpg

DDaytona12012.jpg

G&L Legacy Special, with 3 SC sized pickups? In the Strat mode, but beefier. Def well within that price range, though no one has hopped on mine yet.

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

I never thought of myself as a Strat guy - I TRIED to like them, and bought a few cool ones, but only one was really to my taste, and I ended up trading it away on a 4 Digit (Brad Whitford) Standard.

Then...I got a Daytona.  Could not put that guitar down.  I ended up getting a couple more and modding them (Filtertrons in one, Humbucker/2 PhatCats in another...a Daytona doubleneck appeared later somehow).  All are really great guitars, and changed the way I think about Strats.  If you get the itch, you can snag a Daytona for well under $1k most of the time, and then, feel free to drop P-90s or whatever you're missing in there.  Just for fun.

Daytona941.jpg

HamerDaytonaTron1.jpg

HamerDaytonaBlackBeauty.jpg

DDaytona12012.jpg

A daytona or other strat style with two humbuckers or two p-90s would be great! I really like strats on clean....but they never seem to get "there" for me on overdrive/distortion.

3 hours ago, django49 said:

G&L Legacy Special, with 3 SC sized pickups? In the Strat mode, but beefier. Def well within that price range, though no one has hopped on mine yet.

Here you go. I have two G&L's from the early 90's and love them.  Not the traditional strat tones but you can always change the pickups.

Django's guitar   https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/msg/6178760834.html

I just got lotta Flying Vees (and the likes) FS :)

22 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Phat Cat in a strat!!!  (not just excited that it rhymes)  Tell me more, tell me more......

Not to hijack the thread but OP might be interested in the p90 strat tones

Ive been debating putting a cat in the bridge of mine.  I couldnt live without the single coil neck and middle PU's but the bridge was always lacking something.  Tried a '59 I had laying around and its cool but not what im after.  I love the cats I put in the artist custom so how do you like the bride Phat Cat on 'yer Strat????

PhatCats may just be the ideal Strat pickup for me.  They're quieter, thicker and more powerful than standard Strat pickups, but still get the quack and out of phase sounds you might want in a Strat format.  Chimey and bell-like cleans too.

If anyone has access to a KL380, CU22 Soapbar or other PRS 3-P90 layout, they absolutely made a believer out of me for the greatness of P90s in a "strat-esque" layout (regardless of the PRSi having a half-inch shorter scale).  Volume on 7 - Strat.  Volume on 10 - amazing beef.  A fantastic combination!

From the interwebs:

145348.jpgPRS_2000_Custom22_Soapbar_Turquoise_Top.

ETA: now that I think about it, maybe that's the direction for my current Frankenstrat...  Anyone got a router template?  :)

18 hours ago, cmatthes said:

PhatCats may just be the ideal astray pickup for me.  They're quieter, thicker and more powerful than standard Strat pickups, but still get the quack and out of phase sounds you might want in a Strat format.  Chimey and bell-like cleans too.

Awesome!  

Between the mag swapping jgravelin has been so helpful with on a bridge phat cat for the artist custom and the fact I have An extra laying around, the strat above is going to get a bridge p90!

I have a smokin Daytona that I would sell.  It was owned by Hamerhead and became my main squeeze as soon as I put my hands on it.

See link to original post.  PM me if interested, I would be happy to work with you.

Archived