Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Martin Madness

Martin made their 2,000,000th guitar and then offered a limited edition with less ornamentation.  It has a list price of $149,999.00 and will be limited to no more than 50 instruments. 

They must have been jamming on these guitars when they decided to offer a limited edition of guitars costing as much as houses. 

Less Ornamentation? The pictures I see show probably the most ornate Martin I have ever seen. EVER.

Oh wait, now I see. This is the less ornamented version of the 2 Millionth guitar, which is freakin insane. More insane than this one.

After 184 years, and in celebration of our two-millionth serial number milestone, C. F. Martin & Co. is proud to introduce the D-200 Deluxe. In collaboration with renowned watchmaker Roland G. Murphy (RGM), this unprecedented instrument is symbolic of the passage of time with a unique watch theme displayed throughout the many highly decorative aspects of the model. A classic 14-fret Style 45 Dreadnought is the basis for this work of art. The top is crafted from highly-figured bearclaw Engelmann spruce that features an aluminum rosette with guilloché engraving – a refined process of cutting geometric patterns into metal that also appears on the stainless steel tuning machine buttons of the edition.

The guitar's back of rare pre-CITES Brazilian rosewood, is inlaid with spectacular watch gears cut from reconstituted stone, mother-of-pearl, bloodwood, Hawaiian koa and ebony. The equally spectacular soundboard inlays feature a minute track in mother-of-pearl, birdseye maple, flamed Hawaiian koa and ebony, and a pickguard with pearl inlaid watch gears. Yet another unique decorative detail is the triple-strand abalone pearl striping that bisects the length of each side, referencing the early Spanish-inspired instruments of C. F. Martin Sr. The maple bound ebony fingerboard showcases watch gear mechanisms with the highest level of delicate inlay art. Each guitar is furnished with a newly-designed wearable edition watch from RGM that references details from the D-200 guitar design and bears a matching serial number with each edition instrument. Lastly, each guitar comes in a premium aluminum Zero Manufacturing attaché case with a built-in hygrometer that allows the interior environment of the case to be seen without the need to open the case. Limited to no more than 50 highly-collectable pristine guitars, this instrument will be played and prized until the end of time.

17 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

It amazes me when we see those House Hunter shows and people buy homes for $150,000 in some areas.  You're not doing that around here.  You can put in a nice pool for that though.  :o

And I cringe when I see them buy some tiny cinder-block house sitting on a quarter acre for $500M.  You can actually get a nice house around here (not gigantic, pretentious or ostentatious as seems to be the need of most buyers these days) for $150M. 

The median house price for Allentown, PA is $108,000 and in Bethlehem, PA it is $160,000.  Both of those cities are within 15 miles of Martin's factory in Nazareth, PA. 

A few years ago Chris Martin said that the average age of a Martin Guitar buyer was the same as his age.  He is now approaching retirement age.  The company has apparently found its niche market for expensive limited editions aside from its line of top end guitars.    

That may just be the ugliest Martin ever...

5 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

Video here:

This looks dumb.
Wouldn't it have been more appropriate to decorate the 2 millionth guitar with scenes from a luthiers' shop?
Just saying.

Edited to add: I did watch the video, and the craftsmanship is amazing. But I think the concept is wrong.

Here is the millionth guitar from 2002.

http://www.northernacoustics.co.uk/2015/11/07/millionth/

Somehow, after watching the video, I feel somewhat better about the guitar. They really wanted to work with and popularize a local hand crafted watch business.

It really is, as the watch maker owner says, an exercise in design. I guess a concept guitar?

Will they sell? Who knows.

6 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

It amazes me when we see those House Hunter shows and people buy homes for $150,000 in some areas.  You're not doing that around here.  You can put in a nice pool for that though.  :o

I love those storylines ... millennial young professional-looking couples where one is a freshly-hired entry-level marketer with an upstart tech company and the other is some job with animals, like a professional squirrel trainer or cat bather. They are looking within (insert bustling trendy suburb of American metropolis here), they have their first baby on the way, and their budget is $900K.

1 hour ago, tbonesullivan said:

Here is the millionth guitar from 2002.

http://www.northernacoustics.co.uk/2015/11/07/millionth/

Somehow, after watching the video, I feel somewhat better about the guitar. They really wanted to work with and popularize a local hand crafted watch business.

It really is, as the watch maker owner says, an exercise in design. I guess a concept guitar?

Will they sell? Who knows.

So, does the 'clockwork' guitar 'keep time' on it's own?  Or will the new owner still need a metronome?  ;):lol::ph34r:

19 hours ago, crunchee said:

+1...a homage to Steampunk, apparently.  <_<:wacko:

18 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

Steampunk?  Watchmaker?  Massive Rush flashback! 

Archived