Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Glen Buxton's Guitar

I saw that and was going to post it. If I could own one celebrity guitar, that would be it. Total bad ass. Crying shame what happened to it but just goes to show you that the right guy can restore anything. It looked liked driftwood before he did his magic. 

That was pretty cool. Not sure how they could have a section of the neck in another guy's possession yet still no one claims to have any idea what happened or knows how the pieces ended up where they did. Good that it was resurrected though.

If that guitar could talk. How it ended up like that is anybody's guess. Even if the person did not know who it belonged to they had to know that guitar was a quality instrument and deserved better treatment. 

10 hours ago, Tortious said:

That was pretty cool. Not sure how they could have a section of the neck in another guy's possession yet still no one claims to have any idea what happened or knows how the pieces ended up where they did. Good that it was resurrected though.

Dennis Dunaway is the person with the neck.  He was likely there when the guitar got smashed, but it was Glen's guitar to give away.

On 7/4/2017 at 10:11 AM, Steve Haynie said:

Well, we know where it is now.  Now the problem is "How do I get it in my hands?" 

Steve....if you are really serious.....Rick, who owns Guitar Hanger and is doing the interview, is one of my former guitarists who played with me and Ronni Crooks for a few years. He's a good player and has been playing with Dennis Dunaway for maybe ten years. Doing the various RnR induction ceremonies, he's also been playing with Ian Hunter and that crowd.

But, to be honest, if that guitar is obtainable I am sure Rick already has tried....his main axe he plays is Mick Ronson's "Spiders From Mars" Les Paul that Ian Hunter helped him get from Ronson's family. 😀

Below is a still from an old "Live at the Ritz" TV show gig in NYC. A thinner, hairier Rick on the right, Ronni Crooks to the left, me to right of Ronni.  It's funny that Rick ended up playing with Dennis Dunaway and is holding the Buxton guitar....because he ended up in our band when Alice Cooper stole Al Pitrelli from us!! Small world.

IMG_8260.JPG

Is it me, or do SG's sing better and longer on the high notes compared to LP's.

In a way I was glad to see this. In another way it made me sad. I can't say there was another group I remember with such fondness as the original guys from Love it to Death to Billion Dollar Babies (I didn't care much for Muscle of Love). They were exactly what I was looking for musically when I was in the fifth grade, '72 - '73. All my friends, or actually they were just kids at school as I was quite a loner, were listening to The Carpenters, Jackson 5, etc. What I considered shit. I needed raw vocals, screaming guitars, and a beat. My brother listened to Elton John and Curtis Mayfield to ad nauseum and we shared the bedroom and record player. We fought quite a bit over who got to play it too. 

But, Alice Cooper was my favorite for a long time. They truly influenced me. And it made the kids hate me more which was fine with me. But the girls were crazy about me. Which was also fine with me. My friends at the time were all college students. They were the ones who introduced me to Alice and other things my mother didn't approve of. 

Alice went out on his own and it just didn't have the appeal to me with the exception of Welcome to my Nightmare. Then I just quit following them. But I have a lot of memories of the times and the tunes back when and it saddened me when I heard of Glen's death. I didn't know his guitar was destroyed until I saw this post. I can only imagine why and I think the bandmates know the story but aren't saying. It's clear they had a great love for Glen even though they may not have known it at the time. 

The original band is on 2 songs of Alice's new release which is due at the end of the month. I heard one of them and I liked it. There is a YouTube video of the original band for about 5 songs when they joined Alice on stage in Nashville about a month back. It was great, they just picked up where they left off and it was like 1974 again. They are going to do a few dates in England this summer. Ryan Roxie is playing in Glens spot. I would love this to be a warm up for things to come. Dennis Dunway and Neal Smith are in great shape and both still have that rock n roll attitude. Mike Bruce has had some health issues but has lost a lot of weight and looks and moves much better than before.   Alice is Alice. Has the energy of a 30 year old. If anyone went down to the crossroads and made a deal with the devil, it's probably him rather than some blues guy. 

21 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

If anyone made a deal with the devil it is Alice's wife.  She is somewhere around 60 looks like she might be 30 at most. 

Talk about marring well. She still performs in his stage show and is still a looker. 

27 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

If anyone made a deal with the devil it is Alice's wife.  She is somewhere around 60 looks like she might be 30 at most. 

She also saw him through some really dark days. 

24 minutes ago, Armitage said:

I thought it was Alice's daughter who toured with him?

She does now. But it was Sheryl in the Welcome to my Nightmare tour in the late '70s.

ETA: She apparently likes to play horrible people. One tour she played that Hilton girl and another she played Britney Spears. Her mom, Sheryl was the ballerina, tooth, and a few other parts in WTMNm tour

Calico Cooper was touring with Alice in the early 2000's.  She was replaced by Tiffany Lowe.  Sheryl Cooper has toured with Alice for last five years or so. 

Before Alice met Sheryl on the Welcome To My Nightmare tour, Cindy Dunaway was the girl in the tooth costume.  Cindy designed the clothes for the band, too.  She is Dennis' wife and Neal Smith's sister. 

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

Calico Cooper was touring with Alice in the early 2000's.  She was replaced by Tiffany Lowe.  Sheryl Cooper has toured with Alice for last five years or so. 

Before Alice met Sheryl on the Welcome To My Nightmare tour, Cindy Dunaway was the girl in the tooth costume.  Cindy designed the clothes for the band, too.  She is Dennis' wife and Neal Smith's sister. 

What Haynie said. :) 

I had forgotten about that. I had watched a Dennis Dunaway vid on YouTube last year. I thought I may have posted it or I meant to. But he and his wife were being interviewed and they talked quite a bit about this. They also mentioned that Dunaway and one of the BOC members are gigging and have been for quite some time. 

On 7/7/2017 at 9:26 AM, Ting Ho Dung said:

....and it just didn't have the appeal to me with the exception of Welcome to my Nightmare.

'Eighteen' was one of the first songs I ever learned and I had all of the first albums, but Welcome to My Nightmare was the end of it for me, too. To much production/show and not enough rock/roll.

Archived